Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The first time a left-winger has been held to account for his bias. Let's hope it's the first of many.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/17/bu...gewanted=print
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    The first time a left-winger has been held to account for his bias. Let's hope it's the first of many.

You got that from that story? I read the story and it seemed to me that he was being held accountable for poor investigative work. There was no mention of he left leaning 'bias' anywhere in the story.

The sad fact in all of that is that Rather was getting old. CBS probably wanted to get a younger person in the anchor chair and used the National Guard story as a way to do it.

Lets hope that everyone is the MSM is held accountable for their biases, on the left and on the right.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Sad, how the mighty have fallen.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

That is sad. I wouldn't expect NYT to mention anything about left-wing bias. But I am surprised they would cast Rather in such a pitiful light. I mean, he is one of them.
    Out of curiosity, I'll watch Couric to see how she makes the transition from fluff to hard news.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

has junior ever denied the substance of the National Guard story ??

that he got preferential treatment enabling him to get into a unit that was notorious as a place where the rich and influential hid their sons from risking their lives in vietnam ??
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    You got that from that story? I read the story and it seemed to me that he was being held accountable for poor investigative work.
    You remember what the "poor investigative work" was? From CNN:
    Among the evidence cited were four memos critical of the future president, purportedly written by Bush's squadron commander, Lt. Col. Jerry Killian, who died in 1984.

Immediately after the broadcast, the documents came under fire in media reports, with some document experts saying that they were produced with a computer word-processing program, not by a 1970s-era typewriter.

Killian's former wife, son and secretary all questioned the validity of the memos, though his secretary said they did reflect his views at the time about Bush.

The documents were supplied by Bill Burkett, a retired Texas Army National Guard officer and longtime Bush critic. (Full story)

Early in the controversy, Rather and CBS News insisted that the documents came from a "solid" source, that their contents were backed up by other reporting and that the memos had been authenticated by document experts.

Rather conceded that CBS had obtained only photocopies of the documents, not the originals, which experts said would shed light on their authenticity.

Let's not forget the many other leftist issues that caused him to lose credibilty. From Cris Ruddy...
    You may recall that during the election in 2000, in the middle of a very close presidential election, Dan Rather led his CBS nightly broadcast claiming that the Republican Party had leaked a story that the Lewinsky grand jury had recently renewed work in Washington seeking a possible indictment of Bill Clinton.

This embarrassing story was leaked by Republicans, Mr. Rather said, to undermine Mr. Gore's campaign in the middle of the Democratic National Convention, then being held in Los Angeles.

Dan Rather's proof of this vicious smear against the Republican Party in the middle of election campaigns? None.

Dan Rather based his lead "news story" simply on his pathological hatred of Republicans and his belief they are the source of all evil in the world.

As you are well aware, a Democratic judge, appointed by Jimmy Carter, later admitted he had accidentally leaked the story to a Washington reporter.

Mr. Rather stated Bill Clinton was an "honest man," adding that he tried to "understand" why Clinton had lied during the Lewinsky matter.

Dan Rather's job is not to understand why a politician lies under oath or to investigators. His first job is report the facts squarely to the American people.

More examples I found from Brent Bozell...

1. Rather's toughest presidential evaluation was a) telling Bill Clinton at a CBS affiliates meeting in 1993 that "If we could be one-hundredth as great as you and Hillary Rodham Clinton have been in the White House, we'd take it right now and walk away winners"; b) telling George H.W. Bush in 1988, "You've made us hypocrites in the face of the world" on Iran-Contra.

2. Dan's idea of the Russian leader responsible for "freewheeling infant democracy" in Moscow was a) Boris Yeltsin; b) Mikhail Gorbachev. Actually, in 1994, Rather presented Yeltsin as the "authoritarian," a word he never wanted to use for Gorbachev.

3. The ten-foot-pole term of "so-called" is routinely applied by Rather to a) the National Organization for Women; b) the Christian Coalition.

4. Earning Rather's deepest scorn over "hate talk, extremist, racist, and violent rhetoric" were a) TV network defenders of the Los Angeles riots of 1992; b) talk-radio supporters of the Contract with America in 1995. Yes, the Oklahoma City bombing was somehow Rush Limbaugh's fault.

5. Dan's most patriotic moment during an American military engagement was a) asking Saddam Hussein before the Gulf War if this was "Vietnam in the sand for the United States"; b) kvetching over Republican critics of Clinton's war in Kosovo: "The finger-pointing, backside-covering, and back-stabbing going on in Washington gives Milosevic and his people pleasure."

And Dan's question gave no pleasure to Saddam?

6. Bill Clinton was most at home ideologically when he looked like a) a liberal entranced by his leftist spouse; b) he was "running pretty hard to the right” to get elected.

7. The man Rather described over and over with the partisan "Republican independent counsel" label was a) Iran-Contra prosecutor Lawrence Walsh; b) Whitewater/Lewinsky prosecutor Ken Starr. Mr. Starr was also the one to be told repeatedly to evacuate Washington by Rather's incessant CBS News poll updates.

8. Which story of sexual allegations caused Rather to tell Larry King, "I have hated it from the very beginning and I have hated it right the way through...I have no apology. I hate it. I have hated it all the way through?” a) Anita Hill charging Clarence Thomas with sexual harassment; b) Bill Clinton lying under oath about his sexual relationship with Monica Lewinsky.

9. Guess which decade deserved Rather's praise for its economic strength? a) The decade that routinely left "another hangover of the go-go 1980s"; or b) The decade that proved "it is not partisan to say that during the Clinton years the economy has been outstandingly good. That's a fact."
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor
    Out of curiosity, I'll watch Couric to see how she makes the transition from fluff to hard news.
    Hard news? I thought she was going to CBS.
    Better to admit falibility and discuss ways to improve instead of pretendng everything is just great and you think the emperor's clothes are just marvelous.
    I see no problem with criticism, the right would do better to respond to it themselves right now. Better to admit falibility and discuss ways to improve instead of pretendng you think the emperor's clothes are just marvelous.
    sorryfolks I am on my cell phone out of town - I will delete the duplicate post later.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    I see no problem with criticism, the right would do better to respond to it themselves right now. Better to admit falibility and discuss ways to improve instead of pretendng you think the emperor's clothes are just marvelous.
    some Emperors look just fine without clothes ...
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    some Emperors look just fine without clothes ...
    Are you talking about Katie?
    Are you talking about Katie?
    modesty prevents me from saying more --
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    modesty prevents me from saying more --
    LOL!
    good I was hoping you weren't talking about GWB!

Bah! Rather is a fine journalist. I look forward to his future work.

But you enjoy your Brown Shirt O'Reilly.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Bah! Rather is a fine journalist. I look forward to his future work.

But you enjoy your Brown Shirt O'Reilly.
    Come on, daT, "brown shirts"? Haven't you played out that reference already?
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    Come on, daT, "brown shirts"? Haven't you played out that reference already?
    When people call for their media to stop questioning their leaders, it's brown shirt time. I wish it was "browncoats" but it ain't.
    You remember what the "poor investigative work" was? From CNN:
    Among the evidence cited were four memos critical of the future president, purportedly written by Bush's squadron commander, Lt. Col. Jerry Killian, who died in 1984.

Immediately after the broadcast, the documents came under fire in media reports, with some document experts saying that they were produced with a computer word-processing program, not by a 1970s-era typewriter.

Killian's former wife, son and secretary all questioned the validity of the memos, though his secretary said they did reflect his views at the time about Bush.

The documents were supplied by Bill Burkett, a retired Texas Army National Guard officer and longtime Bush critic. (Full story)

Early in the controversy, Rather and CBS News insisted that the documents came from a "solid" source, that their contents were backed up by other reporting and that the memos had been authenticated by document experts.

Rather conceded that CBS had obtained only photocopies of the documents, not the originals, which experts said would shed light on their authenticity.

Let's not forget the many other leftist issues that caused him to lose credibilty. From Cris Ruddy...
    You may recall that during the election in 2000, in the middle of a very close presidential election, Dan Rather led his CBS nightly broadcast claiming that the Republican Party had leaked a story that the Lewinsky grand jury had recently renewed work in Washington seeking a possible indictment of Bill Clinton.

This embarrassing story was leaked by Republicans, Mr. Rather said, to undermine Mr. Gore's campaign in the middle of the Democratic National Convention, then being held in Los Angeles.

Dan Rather's proof of this vicious smear against the Republican Party in the middle of election campaigns? None.

Dan Rather based his lead "news story" simply on his pathological hatred of Republicans and his belief they are the source of all evil in the world.

As you are well aware, a Democratic judge, appointed by Jimmy Carter, later admitted he had accidentally leaked the story to a Washington reporter.

Mr. Rather stated Bill Clinton was an "honest man," adding that he tried to "understand" why Clinton had lied during the Lewinsky matter.

Dan Rather's job is not to understand why a politician lies under oath or to investigators. His first job is report the facts squarely to the American people.

More examples I found from Brent Bozell...

1. Rather's toughest presidential evaluation was a) telling Bill Clinton at a CBS affiliates meeting in 1993 that "If we could be one-hundredth as great as you and Hillary Rodham Clinton have been in the White House, we'd take it right now and walk away winners"; b) telling George H.W. Bush in 1988, "You've made us hypocrites in the face of the world" on Iran-Contra.

2. Dan's idea of the Russian leader responsible for "freewheeling infant democracy" in Moscow was a) Boris Yeltsin; b) Mikhail Gorbachev. Actually, in 1994, Rather presented Yeltsin as the "authoritarian," a word he never wanted to use for Gorbachev.

3. The ten-foot-pole term of "so-called" is routinely applied by Rather to a) the National Organization for Women; b) the Christian Coalition.

4. Earning Rather's deepest scorn over "hate talk, extremist, racist, and violent rhetoric" were a) TV network defenders of the Los Angeles riots of 1992; b) talk-radio supporters of the Contract with America in 1995. Yes, the Oklahoma City bombing was somehow Rush Limbaugh's fault.

5. Dan's most patriotic moment during an American military engagement was a) asking Saddam Hussein before the Gulf War if this was "Vietnam in the sand for the United States"; b) kvetching over Republican critics of Clinton's war in Kosovo: "The finger-pointing, backside-covering, and back-stabbing going on in Washington gives Milosevic and his people pleasure."

And Dan's question gave no pleasure to Saddam?

6. Bill Clinton was most at home ideologically when he looked like a) a liberal entranced by his leftist spouse; b) he was "running pretty hard to the right” to get elected.

7. The man Rather described over and over with the partisan "Republican independent counsel" label was a) Iran-Contra prosecutor Lawrence Walsh; b) Whitewater/Lewinsky prosecutor Ken Starr. Mr. Starr was also the one to be told repeatedly to evacuate Washington by Rather's incessant CBS News poll updates.

8. Which story of sexual allegations caused Rather to tell Larry King, "I have hated it from the very beginning and I have hated it right the way through...I have no apology. I hate it. I have hated it all the way through?” a) Anita Hill charging Clarence Thomas with sexual harassment; b) Bill Clinton lying under oath about his sexual relationship with Monica Lewinsky.

9. Guess which decade deserved Rather's praise for its economic strength? a) The decade that routinely left "another hangover of the go-go 1980s"; or b) The decade that proved "it is not partisan to say that during the Clinton years the economy has been outstandingly good. That's a fact."
    Thanks for taking the time to put these together. I didn't know about very many of these. But then maybe that is a point in and of itself...I didnt see these things on the nightly news.

As far as the guard story, yeah it was **** poor journalism. But part of the problem is that everyone wants to get the story out first and sensationalism sells. I doubt that any major news anchor on any major network investigates all the the story themselves. Having said that, someone has to be accountable and I think (as I said before) that CBS decided to use this as a way to bring someone new in.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast