Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    In the news: Stern settlement gives him control of master tapes
    By Wire services
    Published May 29, 2006

---------------------------------------------------

Howard Stern regained control of the master tapes from the last 20 years of his terrestrial radio program in a Friday settlement of the contentious lawsuit brought by his former bosses at CBS Radio.

Stern's new employer, Sirius Satellite Radio Inc., agreed to pay $2-million to CBS Radio in return for the rights to the classic recordings, according to a statement released by both sides.
    That's good news...I can't believe how petty they were being over those carts.
    You think those tapes are worth more than 2M? Stern is a genius.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    That's good news...I can't believe how petty they were being over those carts.
    This was Leslie Moonves attempting to salvage some credibility after CBS taking an 8 billion dollar markdown, and his radio division in the toilet, after Stern's departure. In my view, it seems he failed.
    Congrats Stern, having your tapes back means less work for you creating fresh new content on your sub-par Sirius show and now you have filler for your Fridays off.

PS This is old news. He got the tapes back weeks ago.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by blazinlow
    Congrats Stern, having your tapes back means less work for you creating fresh new content on your sub-par Sirius show and now you have filler for your Fridays off.
    Oh cool, you're a Sirius Stern show listener?
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Oh cool, you're a Sirius Stern show listener?
    Of course! I mean doesnt everybody listen to a 52 year man who wears RocaWear and has had the same schtick for the last 15 years?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by blazinlow
    Of course! I mean doesnt everybody listen to a 52 year man who wears RocaWear and has had the same schtick for the last 15 years?
    The sarcasm means you don't listen then?
  9.    #9  
    And what's "RocaWear"?
    The sarcasm means you don't listen then?
    Used to. Was a huge fan too. He lost it. Howard was the king of all media. Now he's got 10% of his audience. His Sirius show was hyped to be new, fresh, and exciting. It isnt. The 'Stern-Effect' with Sirius is over.

RocaWear is Jay Z's clothing line, but my point is I saw him on TV he looked like he was on his way to a rap concert. Its just how an older gentlemen like himself is trying to act 'hip' Id rather see him in that than that dumb Boy Scout uniform. haha.

He deserves the tapes, I mean after all its his material. I just know hes going to use it for filler so the lazy man with the outrageous payday can keep his creative cap off as much as he can.
  11.    #11  
    "Stern Effect" Not Done Yet

June 6, 2006

The latest satellite radio study from Bridge Ratings suggests a shift in momentum at both the retail and consumer brand awareness level with Sirius and Howard Stern overtaking XM. Just three weeks ago, Bridge reported that XM had survived the "Stern-effect" to regain the lead in the satellite sector, but that proclamation may have been premature, as Bridge now reports: "In recent weeks the number of consumers who mention an XM purchase has slowed while Sirius is on a tear lately."

Bridge projects just over 1 million retail sales of satellite radios since April 1, with 51% (534,994) of them being XM systems. While XM holds a narrow lead in sales for the second quarter, over the last three weeks of May, Bridge projects Sirius claimed 57% of the 350,000 satellite units sold. Overall Q2 trending for sales through the week ending May 29 shows XM (534,994 units) with a narrow lead over Sirius (502,667). Bridge now projects 6.5 million subscribers for Sirius while XM's total subscriber count will land at 8.4 million by year end 2006, which is 100,000 less than what XM recently stated in a subscriber projection adjustment.

Bridge also states "sales as a function of brand also has favored Sirius in recent weeks with Sirius sales over performing its brand awareness." Much of that is likely due to Howard Stern, as in its last report Bridge stated that 31% of Stern's former listeners did not miss Howard's show enough to subscribe. That number decreased to 24% in the last sample. Bridge also now estimates that 1.3 million (10%) of Stern's terrestrial fan base has migrated to Sirius.

In July, Bridge Ratings will release its full second quarter tracking for the satellite sector. The current report was based on interviews conducted at retail outlets in Los Angeles, San Diego, Phoenix, Boston, Detroit, New York and Boston between January 1 and May 29, 2006.
    There is no way to tell what the future holds for Stern and Sirius versus XM, but I can only imagine that it would have been a slam dunk for them had XM been able to sign him at the end of his CBS contract when Sirius had 600 thousand subscribers and none of their radios in new cars. Current Bridge Ratings project 6.5 million subscribers in 2006.

I assume that's what the Half Billion dollar "outrageous payday" was for. Only time will tell if XM will look back and wish they had offered 3/4 Billion.
    I agree...howard lost it a while back. Funny once in a while, but not consistently.

O&A did a genius stroke by doinf both terrestrial and satellite. Howard is fuming with jealousy that he didn't think of it first.

O&A is consistently funny, everyday. (and I was a big Howard fan).
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    I agree...howard lost it a while back. Funny once in a while, but not consistently.

O&A did a genius stroke by doinf both terrestrial and satellite. Howard is fuming with jealousy that he didn't think of it first.

O&A is consistently funny, everyday. (and I was a big Howard fan).
    He thought of it first. He invented everything. Just didn't act on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ
    Al Gore?
  15.    #15  
    He turned down a deal recently to be on Satellite and Terrestrial. Remember, the idea is to make money.

I have not heard Opie & Anthony. I would not say they ripped off his whole bit, as I have heard some Stern Fans say, but I would say the certainly owe him some veneration. Much the same way Michael Jackson did to James Brown, Usher did to Michael Jackson, pretty much all alternative music owes to Nirvana who in turn got the ideas from the Ramones.
    He turned down a deal recently to be on Satellite and Terrestrial. Remember, the idea is to make money.

I have not heard Opie & Anthony. I would not say they ripped off his whole bit, as I have heard some Stern Fans say, but I would say the certainly owe him some veneration. Much the same way Michael Jackson did to James Brown, Usher did to Michael Jackson, pretty much all alternative music owes to Nirvana who in turn got the ideas from the Ramones.

He turned down nothing. O&A acknowledges Stern paved the wave but somewhere along the line he resorted to dirty tricks to suppress others and keep his number one spot. Stern said he turned down a deal for terrestrial only after O&A went one up on him. O&A have called him out on that claim and Howard has never responded. I use to listen to Howard but even die hard fans will admit he has been coasting for years. O&A keeps it fresh, with many great comedians "friends" of the show.
  17.    #17  
    He turned down nothing. O&A acknowledges Stern paved the wave but somewhere along the line he resorted to dirty tricks to suppress others and keep his number one spot. Stern said he turned down a deal for terrestrial only after O&A went one up on him. O&A have called him out on that claim and Howard has never responded. I use to listen to Howard but even die hard fans will admit he has been coasting for years. O&A keeps it fresh, with many great comedians "friends" of the show.
    Shrug, alrighty then. As I said, I have never listened to Opie and Anthony, I will have to take your word for it. It sounds like they talk about Stern quite a bit more than Stern talks about them.
    mikec, fellow wackbagger?
  19.    #19  
    He turned down nothing.
    By the way, how do Opie & Anthony know which deals Stern did or did not turn down?
    By the way, how do Opie & Anthony know which deals Stern did or did not turn down?
    http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=215184
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast