Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by blazinlow
    The article said Stern mentioned 3 offers to be heard on terrestrial radio, and that Opie and Anthony challenged him to name those who made the offer(s).

But again ...

1.) how do Opie & Anthony know which deals Stern did or did not turn down?

and
    2.) i have heard almost every stern episode during this time, and i did not know opie and anthony were going to be on cbs and xm until you told me... as i said, it seems Opie and Anthony talk about Stern quite a bit
    A little history and more info. Again, I like Howard, but O&A definitely is the funnier show.

- O&A used to love Howard - until Howard issued a gag order when they were on the same radio station many moons ago. Seems Howard was a little insecure that O&A was getting popular and teased him a bit. (just like Howard teases people). From then on, it's "war".

- O&A talks about everyone, not just Howard. And Howard talks about them. Howard definitely lies, and O&A calls them on it.

- Howard is extremeley jealous of O&A. They now have both terrestial and satellite listeners, and more likely to get more people to come to XM. Howard has plateaued with Sirius subscribers....many old fans will not pay $100 for a radio and accessories, and drop $13 a month to hear him. (for which he chides them as being cheap s very easy to forget your roots when you make 500 million, I suppose.

- You get more for your money. O&A works 5 days a week, 5-6 hours a day. Howard works 4 days a week (Friday's off) and 4 hours a day. Also, a commercial break on Howard goes on for nearly 10 minutes - on O&A, it's closer to 4 minutes.

- Howard never had a deal to terrestrial....otherwise, he would have said something before O&A did it.

- Bottom line, if you listen to both for a week, you will see that O&A is better. (again for that 15-35 male demographic they shoot for.) The comedians are funnier on O&A (Jim Norton, Patrice O'Neil) compared to Howard (does anyone think Rev. Bob Levy and Sal the Stockbroker are funny?)

- Multimedia - O&A are miles ahead. Live camera in studio, PalTalk, forums, instant messaging, email - they have lots of communication channels when the show it going on - and it makes it much funnier. Stuff gets posted to the site within a minutes. It's great.

Again, I'm not trying diss Howard, because he is occasionally funny (and by "he" I mean Artie Lang), but O&A makes me chuckle a lot more.

I could go on, but you just have to listen and see.
    Ramone, get me a WOW sticker!
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    I could go on, but you just have to listen and see.
    I tuned in before, but the entire segment was about blasting Stern. It was off-putting. I would say, i listened for maybe 15 or 20 minutes.
    Blaze74,

I can understand that, but give it another chance. That is why I said listen for a week.

20 min is not enough to get a full sense of the show (either O&A or Howard).

Blaze, are you listening to the terrestrial or XM version of O&A?

Also, I know this isn't high art - last weekls highlights:

- Howard: (talking to George Takei (Sulu from Star Trek) "George isn't into anal, right? (queue fart noises).

-O&A - (on the topic of sex with owls (the bird)) :

Question: "What if you got the owl pregant?
    Answer: "I'd send the kid payments....(another chimes in) "Whoo-whoo-whoo's your daddy?"
  6.    #26  
    Perhaps I will if i can get a subscription for $3.

There was a caller to the Stern show that said she called during the height of the "Stern Effect" to cancel XM, she was given counter offers from XM which she rejected. The final one was to continue her subscription for $3 a month.
    I called to ask XM if I could pay them $3 per month more because the content was worth more in my opinion. I guess everything evens out in the end.
    Last edited by geatches; 06/19/2006 at 11:40 AM.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Perhaps I will if i can get a subscription for $3.

There was a caller to the Stern show that said she called during the height of the "Stern Effect" to cancel XM, she was given counter offers from XM which she rejected. The final one was to continue her subscription for $3 a month.
    Wow...I should try that. $3 a month would be great...
  9.    #29  
    give it a try... the caller mentioned citing stern as well as recent sporting events that have moved to sirius
    I switched to satellite a little over a year ago. The decision of which was easy. Which doesn't have Stern.
    He got stale years ago.

XM rocks. Streaming it at work now.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12