Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I thought some of you might find this interesting.

Source: Yahoo!

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Ancient roots and bones locked in long-frozen soil in Siberia are starting to thaw, and have the potential to unleash billions of tons of carbon and accelerate global warming, scientists said on Thursday.

This vast carbon reservoir, contained in permafrost soil in northeastern Siberia, contains about 75 times more carbon than the amount released into the atmosphere each year by the burning of fossil fuels, the researchers said in a statement.

Siberia isn't the only place on Earth with massive lodes of permafrost -- parts of Alaska, Canada and northern Europe have them too. The Siberian area is possibly the world's largest, covering nearly 400,000 square miles, with an average depth of 82 feet, and probably holds about 500 billion metric tons of carbon.

By any measure, this is a lot, and it is in fact twice what scientists previously believed was there, ecologist Ted Schuur of the University of Florida said in a telephone interview.

-snip-
    Damn SUVs.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Those dirty Ruskies. Trying to take the global warming spotlight from us
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Those dirty Ruskies. Trying to take the global warming spotlight from us
    Yea, global warming is SOOOO country specific an issue.

So it would appear that this is a self-perpetuating phenomenon.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    So we might as well do nothing about it. The liberals are just making sure we spend our last days using inferior products.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Yea, global warming is SOOOO country specific an issue.

Well if you were to believe clulup is it
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    It does, but obvisouly it needed a nudge. If true this is very scary.
    Shrug. I'm sure we'll be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    So we might as well do nothing about it. The liberals are just making sure we spend our last days using inferior products.

Surur
    It proves once again nature is more powerful than man.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    If we all just use one less ice cube in our drinks...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."

Surur
    Wait, let me guess, that was sarcasm, right?
    This vast carbon reservoir, contained in permafrost soil in northeastern Siberia, contains about 75 times more carbon than the amount released into the atmosphere each year by the burning of fossil fuels, the researchers said in a statement.
    That's great! We need to figure a way to burn this in our power plants. Can we mine this stuff?
    It's everyone's eco-responsibility to crank up your AC and open your windows. Leave your refrigerator door open too.
    Shrug. I'm sure we'll be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    It's everyone's eco-responsibility to crank up your AC and open your windows. Leave your refrigerator door open too.
    Ya take ya AC outta da window and lay it on ya dining room table and turn it on....does the room get warmer or colder...oddly enuff, most people say colder....
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Ya take ya AC outta da window and lay it on ya dining room table and turn it on....does the room get warmer or colder...oddly enuff, most people say colder....
    Right, or we could all take them out and pile them on the glaciers, plug them in. Then get back in our Navigators.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Of course it gets warmer--the window's open.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    If we all just use one less ice cube in our drinks...
    Since no-one caught my Simpsons reference I shall challenge you to tell me where this solution to global warming comes from.

Surur
    Since no-one caught my Simpsons reference I shall challenge you to tell me where this solution to global warming comes from.

Surur
    Exxon?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast