Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    I thought the NSC was listening to possible terrorists phone calls, not everyone. Imagine the manpower that must take.
    Its the NSA, and you're correct. And regardless of manpower, they have no desire to, or need to listen to everyones calls.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    That may be the case, but wait until IRS believes you're going to destroy your illegal tax records, a warrant is issued, and they bust through your door in front of your neighbors - then I'll bet it will be a case of "it depends upon who's ox is being gored."
    another wise observation by dstrauss
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    "it depends upon who's ox is being gored."
    And who is tortured, and who is held indefinitely without a trial, and who's phone is tapped. For some of us, the promise of the spy ... "don't worry, we only spy on those that really need spying" is not enough.
    I'm already on record (above) not liking this ruling, but I just love the way the mind of a liberal works. When the Supreme Court rules in new, creative, and most importantly liberally approved ways, they are "finding" rights in an ever evolving Constitution that must keep up with the times (think Roe v. Wade, Miranda, etc.) but when they are ruling in ways the left thinks are restrictive and neanderthal, they have "redefined the 4th amendment."
    Since this was posted before I posted the "Warning" thread, I'll do nothing. But this is not tolerated here and will get you banned/suspended in the future. Joking or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer

[dstrauss]I'm already on record (above) not liking this ruling, but I just love the way the mind of a liberal works. When the Supreme Court rules in new, creative, and most importantly liberally approved ways, they are "finding" rights in an ever evolving Constitution that must keep up with the times (think Roe v. Wade, Miranda, etc.) but when they are ruling in ways the left thinks are restrictive and neanderthal, they have "redefined the 4th amendment."

Since this was posted before I posted the "Warning" thread, I'll do nothing. But this is not tolerated here and will get you banned/suspended in the future. Joking or not.
    I'm assuming this is the warning you are referring to:

All,
    Just a quick warning to pay attention to the forum guidelines (at the top of the thread list), especially these:
    • Foul language - TreoCentral is a site used by people of all ages, so please keep posts and links family appropriate. We use software filters to block some common language use and will not tolerate any attempts to beat such filters. Feel free to curse like a sailor at your home, not ours.
    • Personal Attacks - Do not flame, insult, or post a personal attack against another user on the TreoCentral forum. Be courteous, not rude. Do not troll or respond to trolls.
    I am going to start opening a can on anyone who violates the rules. Importantly past posts are not considered. So if someone insulted you, I don't care. If you respond in kind, you'll be suspended/banned.

Don't bother wasting your time suspending, banning or "opening a can" in this case. Please cancel my account immediately. There is no foul language in that post, nor is there a flame, insult, nor personal attack. Your pointing to my post as an example of something you object to K is either off base or I've offended your political sensibilities. I've traded friendly jabs with Blazerboy, Barye, and others with no effect other than airing political views of vastly different backgrounds, sometimes even crossing over to see things more eye to eye than we thought. There's nothing objectionable in that post, and I'm offended by any implication otherwise.

I will not be back to offend again.
    Last edited by dstrauss; 06/18/2006 at 09:39 PM.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I'm assuming this is the warning you are referring to:

All,
    Just a quick warning to pay attention to the forum guidelines (at the top of the thread list), especially these:

• Foul language - TreoCentral is a site used by people of all ages, so please keep posts and links family appropriate. We use software filters to block some common language use and will not tolerate any attempts to beat such filters. Feel free to curse like a sailor at your home, not ours.
    • Personal Attacks - Do not flame, insult, or post a personal attack against another user on the TreoCentral forum. Be courteous, not rude. Do not troll or respond to trolls.
    I am going to start opening a can on anyone who violates the rules. Importantly past posts are not considered. So if someone insulted you, I don't care. If you respond in kind, you'll be suspended/banned.

Don't bother wasting your time suspending, banning or "opeing a can" in this case. Please cancel my account immediately. There is no foul language in that post, nor is there a flame, insult, nor personal attack. Your pointing to my post as an example of something you object to K is either off base or I've offended your political sensibilities. I've traded friendly jabs with Blazerboy, Barye, and others with no effect other than airing political views of vastly different backgrounds, sometimes even crossing over to see things more eye to eye than we thought. There's nothing objectionable in that post, and I'm offended by any implication otherwise.

I will not be back to offend again.
    I've read the quote several times, can you tell me what it was that violated the rules so all of us know what not to write?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    I've read the quote several times, can you tell me what it was that violated the rules so all of us know what not to write?
    Ditto here. I'm very confused by your outburst.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Ditto here. I'm very confused by your outburst.
    Ditto Three.
    The world just got a teeny bit sadder.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Right, ok, back on topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    I think that's what the framers had in mind. FWIW, there are many instances where a warrant does precisely that (wire taps, undercover cops, etc). Reread the amendment:
    The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
    There is nothing in there about notifying the target, only about authorizing it.
    There is nothing in there about kicking the door in, or even mention of a door or a lock.

There is also no mention of abortion in the constitution, or affirmative action, or separate black drinking fountains.

This is why we have courts.
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Right, ok, back on topic.There is nothing in there about kicking the door in, or even mention of a door or a lock.

There is also no mention of abortion in the constitution, or affirmative action, or separate black drinking fountains.

This is why we have courts.
    Right, ok.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Mod, any mod?
    What happened? What was typed that was worth a threatened ban, and a self-imposed leaving of TC? Please clarify. Thanks!
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    If you are asking why cops will knock from now on, it will depend on SCOTUS rationale in this decision. I havent seen it so I would only be speculating. If their ruling is very narrow (i.e. based on these facts) then arguably lower courts still might allow a motion to suppress in other cases where cops do not announce before entering and serving the warrant.

Prior to this decision, they usually had to give you a reasonable opportunity to open your door.

Is that answering your question?

(The reason why you don't want to make a mistake (not knocking and announcing prior to entering) is because of the exclusionary rule-stated in a previous post.)
    But the exclusionary rule was summarily knocked down with this ruling.

More importantly, this is the first ruling (to my knowledge), in which a search was clearly illegal, yet the evidence gleanded was still allowed.

This is a bigger threat in my mind, than the police simply waiting or not waiting 3 seconds.
    Mod, any mod?
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Mod, any mod?
    You are insulting the mods. Stop it. You have been warned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    You are insulting the mods. Stop it. You have been warned.
    What, what did I do. Your nothing but a... hey, I said but. hehe
    But the exclusionary rule was summarily knocked down with this ruling.
    Maybe I haven't read the opinion but the court could have curtailed its ruling based on these facts alone, so I wouldnt say that the exclusionary rule is now dead.

More importantly, this is the first ruling (to my knowledge), in which a search was clearly illegal, yet the evidence gleanded was still allowed.
    I havent gotten to it in class yet, but there is a 'good faith' exception to the exclusionary rule/warrant requirement (I think). I will post more when I find out (or someone like Heberman might be able to help out.)

This is a bigger threat in my mind, than the police simply waiting or not waiting 3 seconds.
    I agree if in fact the exclusionary rule is no longer applicable.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    I think that varies state to state. There's been repomen shot to death by people thinking they were stealing their car out of their driveways... Got away with it. Texas, I think.
    Your right, it does. I was just giving the common law. States are free to codify it as they see fit (and it doesnt surprise me with Tx...they still have an open carry law?)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Isn't this a political topic and should be closed?

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...5&postcount=11
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast