Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    we today passed another milestone, another gravemarker in our Iraq quagmire. 2500 men and women will not come home.

George Will -- someone I seldom read and rarely agree with, has an interesting column today about Iraq:

"... Zarqawi set out to prove that a central premise of the U.S. intervention in Iraq was -- is -- false...

The premise was that Iraqis are primarily nationalists and only secondarily sectarians. Zarqawi's wager was that explosives, used with sufficient cruelty, could blow that premise to smithereens. He may have succeeded. If so, the February bombing of the Askariya shrine, although the blast itself killed nobody, may have been the most deadly explosion since the planes hit the twin towers because it provoked sectarian violence that may now constitute a social firestorm...

It is sometimes charged that journalism, which considers the phrase "good news" an oxymoron ("We don't report the planes that land safely"), is missing the good news from Iraq. But so pervasive is the violence, and hence so dangerous has Iraq become for journalists, that the Wall Street Journal, hardly a hostile observer of the U.S. undertaking in Iraq, thinks the bad news might be underreported.

Even the good news often has a dark cast to it. At last -- 25 weeks after the voting -- the Iraqi parliament has produced a full government. But its first task is to conquer itself: It must end the sectarian violence being committed by people wearing government uniforms, in the military and police.

It is frequently said that protracted terrorism has an atomizing effect on a polity, reducing civil society to so much human dust. In Iraq it may be having the opposite effect: Rather than disaggregating Iraqis, the force of the explosions -- especially the one on Feb. 22 that demolished the dome of the Askariya shrine in Samarra -- seems to have blown them together, ruinously, into furious Sunni and Shiite blocs.

Just in May, just in Baghdad, sectarian violence killed 1,400 -- and that figure does not include victims of car bombs. It speaks depressing volumes about the U.S. predicament that the new idea is to . . . conquer Baghdad. On April 20 the Iraq war became as long as the Korean War. As of tomorrow the war will be as long -- 1,185 days -- as U.S. involvement in World War II was when U.S. troops captured the Ludendorff railway bridge at Remagen ... Baghdad beyond the Green Zone is a war zone..."

What will be the fruit of the sacrifice of these 2500+ americans ??

What will Iraq look like a year from now -- what will it look like when we leave ??
    Last edited by BARYE; 06/16/2006 at 10:18 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    I understand this is listed in the Off Topic area, but what does it have to do in any degree of relativity to PDA's/ Treo's or mobile computing?

It makes it frustrating to see when looking through Today's Postings.

-Brian
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by tach32000
    I understand this is listed in the Off Topic area, but what does it have to do in any degree of relativity to PDA's/ Treo's or mobile computing?...
    -Brian
    none.

this is not a place for you unless you have cuiousity, opinions, and a point of view.

Come back should you someday discover them, and want to share them with the poor demented souls who dwell here ...
    I agree...I am tired of all of this hippy bullsh!t on a treo forum.

Start your own political forum.
    It also has nothing to do with the more important news of the day - England are playing Trinidad and Tobago.
    Animo et Fide
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    What will Iraq look like a year from now -- what will it look like when we leave ??
    It will be a democratic paradise, and a shining bastion of freedom to set an example for the Arab world, where peacefull Iraqi's join hands and give thanks for generations to come.
    Quote Originally Posted by tach32000
    I understand this is listed in the Off Topic area, but what does it have to do in any degree of relativity to PDA's/ Treo's or mobile computing?

It makes it frustrating to see when looking through Today's Postings.

-Brian
    Tough noogies. It's what the OT area is for.

Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    I agree...I am tired of all of this hippy bullsh!t on a treo forum.

Start your own political forum.
    Why the harshness recently DT?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    we today passed another milestone, another gravemarker in our Iraq quagmire. 2500 men and women will not come home.

What will be the fruit of the sacrifice of these 2500+ americans ??

You could care less about the sacrifices made by these men and women, otherwise you wouldn't belittle and degrade their cause. Stop with the feigned reverence.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    You could care less about the sacrifices made by these men and women, otherwise you wouldn't belittle and degrade their cause. Stop with the feigned reverence.
    I live blocks from Walter Reed hospital -- where broken young people are meant to be mended.

Maybe I've witnesed more of the fruits of this war, than you.
    have you spoken with them?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I live blocks from Walter Reed hospital -- where broken young people are meant to be mended.

Maybe I've witnesed more of the fruits of this war, than you.
    Oh really. How many years did you serve in the military that makes you so understanding of whats in their minds? I served 15.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    have you spoken with them?
    not often enough.

I literally don't know what to say usually-- what anyone could say ...
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    not often enough.

And what do you base your "quagmire" assessment on?
    simple...start with "thank you"
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    not often enough.

Soooo.... you don't know. Thanks for the admission.
    2500 men and women have died, and 45 000 sub-humans????

Surur
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    2500 men and women have died, and 45 000 sub-humans????

Surur
    Thats surprising... I never knew you believed in sub-humans.
    Great, the who loves America more contest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael

Yea, that's the incorrect arguement used. You have to support the troops andif you don't support the mission then you denegrate the troops thus do not support them.

Sorry, I'm not buying what you're selling.
Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast