Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    A delusion about why they are there leading to misplaced patriotism, plus a bonus of 50% of their yearly salary tax free I am sure has nothing to do with it.

Surur
    Insulting but not surprising.
    A delusion about why they are there leading to misplaced patriotism, plus a bonus of 50% of their yearly salary tax free I am sure has nothing to do with it. Surur
    The delusion could be that you got your facts from geatches.

Quote Originally Posted by Zogby - February 2006
    An overwhelming majority of 72% of American troops serving in Iraq think the U.S. should exit the country within the next year, and more than one in four say the troops should leave immediately, a new Le Moyne College/Zogby International survey shows.

The poll, conducted in conjunction with Le Moyne College’s Center for Peace and Global Studies, showed that 29% of the respondents, serving in various branches of the armed forces, said the U.S. should leave Iraq “immediately,” while another 22% said they should leave in the next six months. Another 21% said troops should be out between six and 12 months, while 23% said they should stay “as long as they are needed.”
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    By the media willing to portray, at every chance, the American military in a negative light.
    Wake up. The news is not a happy propaganda machine. The vast majority of the time they report on bad things. Murder, rape, accidents etc. Someone posted a George Will article where George said "We don't report the planes that land safely." It's always been this way. Many reporters have stated that they want to report good things going on in Iraq, but it's too dangerous to get out and talk to people.

No one needs to blame the press, or the administration on things like this. Bottom line, don't do it, and there's nothing to report. While I understand how and why the song was written, I don't like it, and I think most wish that it hadn't happened. But I don't think any less of our military for it!

I'm sorry the news isn't what you want. Get an rss client and subscribe to the agencies that report the stuff you like. If it's not there, I'm sorry. Life can be rough, I'm still b!tching that they took apple flavored kool-aid off the market!

Why is it that people who keep complaining about the media, keep reading and watching? What's up with that? People in this country are so spoiled, they'd rather sit and suffer instead of doing without, or creating change. And on occasion, I include myself in that group. Fortunately I get to spend time with other cultures to help put things in perspective. And yes, I do more than just post my opinion.
    Last edited by gaffa; 06/16/2006 at 08:28 AM.
    My comment was how our brave soldiers are signing up in record numbers...
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    American soldiers have courage and are signing up to return to Iraq in record numbers. I assume you mean the "other" forces, perhaps your guys?
    and you take a personal shot...
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    The delusion could be that you got your facts from geatches.
    and quote a four month old poll that has nothing to do with how many soldiers are re-upping to go back to Iraq. Hmmmmm.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zogby - February 2006
    An overwhelming majority of 72% of American troops serving in Iraq think the U.S. should exit the country within the next year, and more than one in four say the troops should leave immediately, a new Le Moyne College/Zogby International survey shows.

The poll, conducted in conjunction with Le Moyne College’s Center for Peace and Global Studies, showed that 29% of the respondents, serving in various branches of the armed forces, said the U.S. should leave Iraq “immediately,” while another 22% said they should leave in the next six months. Another 21% said troops should be out between six and 12 months, while 23% said they should stay “as long as they are needed.”
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  5.    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    This is another attempt to vilify our troops.
    This is not an attempt to villify the troops in Iraq.

It is however an example of the frustration of the situation this admin has put them in. It's a sign of straining morale. These guys are not benefitting from the political hoo-rah of "cut & run" talking points. They're the ones feeling like anyone around them may take a shot at any moment. There is no frontline of combat therefore no behind the lines where they can tune down. They are required to bbe on alert 24-7 and the strain is really starting to show.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    This is not an attempt to villify the troops in Iraq.

It is however an example of the frustration of the situation this admin has put them in. It's a sign of straining morale.
    You really think so? I think its an example of what happens when kids are raised on blood-soaked music and television. How else would you explain the fact that the lyrics written by kids who have never gone to war are far worse?
  7.    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    You really think so? I think its an example of what happens when kids are raised on blood-soaked music and television. How else would you explain the fact that the lyrics written by kids who have never gone to war are far worse?

I really don't know why you keep trying to go down this path. You're ignoring what I'm sayng and the content of the song. It's irrelevent that there's violence in the song. It's the other aspect of the song that is telling of the stress they are under as an occupying force with no end in sight.
    I really don't know why you keep trying to go down this path. You're ignoring what I'm sayng and the content of the song. It's irrelevent that there's violence in the song. It's the other aspect of the song that is telling of the stress they are under as an occupying force with no end in sight.
    Okay, maybe I missed it. What aspects are those?
    oh this makes me vomit, the comparison between rap music, and a "song" celebrating baby killing? and the racist undertones of blaming to rap music

added, sorry for the grammer, boss was interrupting me with stupid work questions
    Last edited by theBlaze74; 06/16/2006 at 12:43 PM.
  10.    #70  
    Okay, maybe I missed it. What aspects are those?
    Have you watched the video?
    No.
    My analysis of the song is simple. It talks of being constantly under attack, of missing home luxuries like burger king, of not being able to trust the local population, and of being dislikes so much by them that they want to kill them. It talks of having to sacrifice innocents to save their own life, and of being hardened so much to this that it does not touch them anymore.

Its a song written by an unwanted occupying force, plain and simple.

Surur
    Okay, now I have. And even more than before I think this is much ado about nothing.
    Okay, now I have. And even more than before I think this is much ado about nothing.
    of course you do
    Whats clear from the video is that its a well-known well rehearsed song which struck a cord with the audience, and the part they found especially funny was the blood of the little girl.

Surur
    Whats clear from the video is that its a well-known well rehearsed song which struck a cord with the audience, and the part they found especially funny was the blood of the little girl.
    Do we know if the audience was made up of soldiers?

By the way, I have often wondered, is it accepted for the soldiers to use racial slurs to describe the people they are "liberating", Japs, Krauts, Gooks, skinnys, hadji, etc? Or is it something that just a few get away with behind the backs of military leadership?
    Do we know if the audience was made up of soldiers?
    Know of a large western civilian population in Iraq who would be entertained by a Marine?

BTW

Hajji is a term of respect. Americans should not be allowed to turn it into a racial slur.

Surur
    Know of a large western civilian population in Iraq who would be entertained by a Marine?
    Scary, but good point. Well perhaps the Shea government
  19.    #79  
    Well, besides how such a video will appear to the arab world much less Iraqis, you don't think it is a bad signal of morale?
    As more good news comes out of Iraq, the more silly you guys sound. New motto, Libs - snatching defeat from the jaws of victory one war at a time. Silly.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast