Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 188
  1. #161  
    Originally Posted By: Micael at Today 10:20 AM

    George has smoked just about everything, or so I've heard... but missed them crossing swords. George's routine was simply brilliant, imo.


    There you have it! We can agree on something. Doesn't being perfect feel pretty good?
    Visor-->Visor Phone-->Treo 180-->Treo 270-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 755P-->Centro-->Pre+-->Pre 2
  2. #162  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I don't have a comment on the film other than to say that I doubt everything in the film is 100% correct and I'm damn well sure everything in the film is NOT 100% wrong. I made a comment which someone assumed (see Felix Unger's definition) I took from the film....and I stated that I did not and that I didn't "pick up the information in the cinema".

    I am saying if opponents of the film want to list 59 alleged innacuracies out of 1,000 statements, than what about the other 9,041 statements ?...... I have seen Moore's Columbine film and thot it was well done....I didn't like it a much as "SuperSize me" but it got Walmart to stop letting pimply faced kids sell ammo and that made me happy.

    I have only seen portions (maybe 20 minutes) of the 9/11 film but some of the things I caught in those snippets, I have seen corroborated in the 9/11 commission report and in the History Channel presentation. Or is the Commission report also a piece of fiction ?
    Again, if you thought the film was about fact hunting, or that it was not fair, you missed the point. But then, how many independent film festivals do they have in the red states, and Miss Congeniality 2 does not count.
  3. #163  
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Again, if you thought the film was about fact hunting, or that it was not fair, you missed the point. But then, how many independent film festivals do they have in the red states, and Miss Congeniality 2 does not count.
    Again, I don't think "anything" about the flm. I haven't had the time or inclination to bother with it. What i will comment on is the direction of the criticism which has been mainly the Coulter type of venom with no real effort with regard to discusin the issues but rather name calling and other spittle.
  4. #164  
    In was unable to attend the show but if anyone finds a blog site with snippets posted, please advise....youtube.com maybe
  5. #165  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    In was unable to attend the show but if anyone finds a blog site with snippets posted, please advise....youtube.com maybe
    pm me, i will send you a copy, there is a reason it won Cannes film festival

    not as good as bowling for columbine if you ask me
  6. #166  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    In either case, her point (the full statement with full context considered) was right on. The left has used the cindy sheehans and left leaning tower widows to make political points. They assume correctly that these 'political tools' will be tough to counter based on their 'loses'. Her delivery of that point could be improved, but it's perfectly true.
    I'm not convinced that anyone was used. I think they knew what they wanted to accomplish and may have received plenty of support from party members. I find it no different than the swift-boat guys. That being said. If Coulter had simply stated her thoughts as you did, we might not have this discussion thread. I think even OReily suggested that she's making these statements to sell books when he pointed out similarities with Franken. And we know how much OReily loves Franken!
  7. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #167  
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffa
    I'm not convinced that anyone was used. I think they knew what they wanted to accomplish and may have received plenty of support from party members. I find it no different than the swift-boat guys. That being said. If Coulter had simply stated her thoughts as you did, we might not have this discussion thread. I think even OReily suggested that she's making these statements to sell books when he pointed out similarities with Franken. And we know how much OReily loves Franken!
    Agree, with the difference being that Coulter's point is based in fact, (that we're not supposed to argue with the widows because of their loss), and her delivery sucked, whereas, Franken's delivery is funny, but his points are based on lies.
  8. #168  
    *paraphrasing
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    You are showing your bias.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    You're bias is clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    Agree, with the difference being that Coulter's point is based in fact, (that we're not supposed to argue with the widows because of their loss), and her delivery sucked, whereas, Franken's delivery is funny, but his points are based on lies.
  9. #169  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    Agree, with the difference being that Coulter's point is based in fact, (that we're not supposed to argue with the widows because of their loss), and her delivery sucked, whereas, Franken's delivery is funny, but his points are based on lies.
    Okay, I guess my ignorance is showing. How is that fact? Oops, you said "based in fact." That's like Hidalgo being based on a true story. About the only thing true in the movie was the name of the protagonist. Did the DNC release documentation showing that this was part of their strategy?

    It feels more like republicans are hiding behind Ann. They won't say that she went too far because they like that she's going where they won't go. Although I'm not sure why, they had no problem questioning Kerry's military record. I guess the stakes aren't high enough yet.

    Hey, if you want to debate with the widows, more power to you. But debate the stand that they've taken, don't debate who they are. If you disagree with Sheehan, fine. But I've seen nothing showing some type of recruiting effort.

    And as for Franken, he wants to know if his facts are incorrect. He's never claimed to be flawless, he will acknowledge mistakes and correct them. Submit the list of lies to him. But make it a list that you've generated, not something that someone gave you, unless you've verified the info yourself.
  10. #170  
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffa
    And as for Franken, he wants to know if his facts are incorrect. He's never claimed to be flawless, he will acknowledge mistakes and correct them. Submit the list of lies to him. But make it a list that you've generated, not something that someone gave you, unless you've verified the info yourself.
    Franken's line by line dismantling of Coulter on the tax issue is "Debating 101" for high school debate teams. Hard to argue with him when he provides so many published references.

    I miss the days of William F. Buckely a conservative with a repectable IQ who could discuss issues intelligently and stick to the issues and not the opponent at the debate table. Now all we have on teh conservative side is trash radio where the star is set up with a patsy who the hero can yell over and listeners can feel like they won the day.

    Issues are not black and white, real issues are complicated and a lot does in fact depend on where you are sitting and whose shoes you are wearing. I have been appointed to committes and task forces by both republicans and democrats, I have drafted state and local laws and been in the room from the cordial discussione to the all out bruhahas .

    On the national level however it's been degraded down to Hatfield's and McCoys.....they very thing making people temple vein popping mad when a McCoy does it, is a bunch of people trying to make something out of nothing when theri guy does it. NY'ers hated "The Rocket" when he was throwing beanballs at Mets and Yankees but the mantra was "it's all part of the game" once he put on a NY uniform.

    When "our" guy gets clipped on the football field, that guy who hit him is a dirty player...when it's their guy, the SOB deserved it.

    The irony is so "in ya face" yet still people don't see it in themselves....no one seems to have a problem with setting everything up in their favor and screw the other guy. OK, here's how we gonna be fair in Little League.

    Home Team gets up last on M-W-F
    Visitors get up last on T-T-S

    And just to be extra fair, we'll alternate on who is home and vistors....my team is home on M-W-F and yours is home team on T-T-S

    Now that's double fair.

    Seinfeld put it best when he talked about attending a sports event and the guy he went with started heavily booing a player when he was introduced...Seinfeld respond "hey wasn't that your favorite player last year " and the guy answered "yeah but that was when he was on my time" ..... Seinfeld's conclusion was "so basically we're here rooting for laundry".

    In politics it's never about what you've done but what you've been caught doing. I'm happy with one house being in one party's hands, one in the other and the executive branch going back and forth. I figure with both sides in the muck of it, nothing that is gonna hurt either side too much can get passed. Once one party has control, America suffers.

    Still don't think that's you ? Watch a sports event. There's a close play at the plate and Jeter throws to Posada and umpire says Ramirez is out at the plate.....99.9% of the people in the stadium are vein popping mad about the bad call....are we in Boston or NY? Would the % change if we switched cities ?

    If you consider yourself an avid democrat or an avid republican face it, your gonna be about as objective about truth and fairness as the red sox and yankee fans. If you can't listen to the other side's arguments without an emotional based response, you're simply not going to be in a position to make a sound rational decision. Rationality and emotion don't mix.....when I see a 2 pundits discussing an issue and one is calm and the other is ranting....game over ...calm guy wins.

    Stop wanting issues to be simple:

    1. Saddam is bad
    2. We go get him

    Think about the Hatfields and McCoys again.....we get Saddam (a Hatfield), now all the other little Hatfields sitting round not wishing to get involved ... thinking about scoring an iPod or a Playboy....you killed little Azwad's uncle on the way in....it was an accident.... but ya just gave Azwad a reason to take the Hatfield side.
  11. #171  
    The argument that issues are not "black and white" are usually made by those who try to obfuscate the difference between right and wrong based on a jaded past. Ask a moral person if Saddam is a bad guy and you'll get a straight answer. Ask a serial killer the same question and you'll get quite a different answer.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  12. #172  
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    The argument that issues are not "black and white" are usually made by those who try to obfuscate the difference between right and wrong based on a jaded past. Ask a moral person if Saddam is a bad guy and you'll get a straight answer. Ask a serial killer the same question and you'll get quite a different answer.
    my god
  13. #173  
    Boy I missed those great responses. I'm so glad you're contributing to my posts again.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  14. #174  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Franken's line by line dismantling of Coulter on the tax issue is "Debating 101" for high school debate teams. Hard to argue with him when he provides so many published references.

    I miss the days of William F. Buckely a conservative with a repectable IQ who could discuss issues intelligently and stick to the issues and not the opponent at the debate table. Now all we have on teh conservative side is trash radio where the star is set up with a patsy who the hero can yell over and listeners can feel like they won the day.
    That's a great post. I think Buckely and Franken are good examples. While obviously Franken is trying to entertain, and there are times where he makes leaps when it's not black and white, for the most part he puts his interns to work on getting facts.

    The biggest piece of meat that feeds the hate machine these days is labeling. People use words like conservative and liberal like they are dirty? And there's some kind of stereotype floating around that automatically makes you bad. All liberals hate Bush, all conservatives screw the middle-class to get rich. Once people figure out that you are not in their camp, they stop listening. They only wait for their turn to talk so that they can try to discount whatever you've said. The senate debates seem so silly now. No one is changing their mind. They're not listening to each other.
  15. #175  
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffa
    That's a great post. I think Buckely and Franken are good examples.
    Comparing William F. Buckley to Al Franken is ridiculous. Imagine Mr. Buckley penning a tome such as "Tip O’Neil Is a Big Fat *****". Please.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  16. #176  
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Comparing William F. Buckley to Al Franken is ridiculous. Imagine Mr. Buckley penning a tome such as "Tip O’Neil Is a Big Fat *****". Please.
    Did you miss the part where I mentioned that Franken is trying to entertain?
  17. #177  
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Comparing William F. Buckley to Al Franken is ridiculous. Imagine Mr. Buckley penning a tome such as "Tip O’Neil Is a Big Fat *****". Please.
    I'm sure I'm wasting my breath here but, I think you missed the point of the title, it was a direct tongue in cheek response to Rush Limbaugh comparing president Clinton's daughter to a dog. It was a satiric insult about slinging insults. Kind of like calling Da a hippie, and an America hater.
  18. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #178  
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffa
    Did you miss the part where I mentioned that Franken is trying to entertain?
    Yes, your repeatedly throw out the 'entertain' misdirection every time you hoist him up on your shoulders.
  19. #179  
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffa
    Did you miss the part where I mentioned that Franken is trying to entertain?
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    I'm sure I'm wasting my breath here but, I think you missed the point of the title, it was a direct tongue in cheek response to Rush Limbaugh comparing president Clinton's daughter to a dog. It was a satiric insult about slinging insults. Kind of like calling Da a hippie, and an America hater.
    My point is that no one familiar with Mr. Buckley's distinguished career would ever compare him to someone like Franken. Buckley is a scholar, Franken is a comic.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  20. #180  
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    My point is that no one familiar with Mr. Buckley's distinguished career would ever compare him to someone like Franken. Buckley is a scholar, Franken is a comic.
    I don't share in your opinion, and your point is taken.

    I did not compare the two, I simply enjoy them in the same context which the sharing of political perspectives, facts, and commentary.

    If I say I'd like a burger and fries would that be comparing them?
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions