Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    I haven't heard a thing Coulter has said about the 9/11 widows, and I'm not familiar with the political views of the 9/11 widows, aside from what was written in this thread, but I have seen the widows get involved in the World Trade Center development process here in New York, and that has really pissed me off. Their husbands died, and so now they're dictating what can get built, how the memorial should be designed, how money is spent, what the government should do, etc. Everyone involved is afraid to say no to them. As if they really represent the views of the relatives of all 2800 victims. As if the relatives of the victims really should have a say in private real estate decisions.

It's absurd how much power and money was directed to the survivors of the 9/11 victims. Yes, it's awful that they lossed their loved ones, but come on. Millions of people die every year. Who else becomes instant millionaires thanks to the federal government - on top of whatever life insurance they may have had, and on top of the private donations they received from across the nation? And then they form a committee to tell everyone what they can and cannot do.

Some people seem to think we need to treat them like royalty.

They don't deserve any more money, respect, power, or sympathy than the families of soldiers killed in combat, or the families of the Oklahoma bombing victims. And I don't think the lives of people killed on 9/11 are more valuable than the lives of people killed on any other day, under any other circumstances.
    You don't think survivors or victims' families should have the largest say in the 911 memorial?

And just how much money DID they get paid each, by the government? Was it really as much as people think?

As for the rest of your statement, that may have something to do with them being victims of our first terrorist attack of worldwide proportions. OKC was all home grown. Not that many don't have sympathy for those victims also, I just think many people are always going to remember 9/11 on a grander scale. We may not be able to help that. I'm not saying it's fair or right, but that is the way it's panned out.
    Shes' a conservative flame baiter. You seem to forget that the leftists have Springer, Franken, Randi Rhodes and Bayre
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    Ms. Treo -- I respect you and your opinions -- but on this we differ.

Sometimes people who have had a particularly searing and personal experience don't articulate or debate artfully in response to attacks on that experience.

A vicious evil scoundrel like Coulter can make an outrage inducing desecrative attack on things so deep, so personal, so life altering -- that the victim can be paralyzed by the incomprehensible fury that they feel.

(Remember how clumsily Max Cleland (former Senator and triple amputee) and John Kerry acted when their courage and integrity was challenged by liars and cowards.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Two things Barye:

1. Statements like her's cannot go unchallenged. She had to know that was an explosive statement! And when someone tried to ask her why she is saying stuff like that, she got defensive and loud(at least in that one instance I saw). But she really didn't say what she meant.

2. Can she really hold up if she needs to actually FACE these women? So far she has been a hit and run, long distance spewer. That's easy. Actually having to tell someone face to face is something else. Let her explain what she means in person!
    Everyone on Treocentral knows how conservative I am, but I cannot stomach Coulter. She is one of the WORST panderers out there and the very DEFINITION of a Harpy:

Harpy \Har"py\, n.; pl. Harpies. [F. harpie, L. harpyia, Gr. ?, from the root of ? to snatch, to seize. Gf. Rapacious.]

1. (Gr. Myth.) A fabulous winged monster, ravenous and filthy, having the face of a woman and the body of a vulture, with long claws, and the face pale with hunger. Some writers mention two, others three.

Both table and provisions vanished guite. With sound of harpies' wings and talons heard. --Milton.

2. One who is rapacious or ravenous; an extortioner [dictionary.net]

I don't agree with the positions of the 911 widows, but I did not lose a loved one there, or in combat afterward. That's why I try to overlook Mr. Berg's comments after the death of Zarkawi, because I can't relate to the impact on one's psyche form such a loss.

But Coulter gets no such deference. She is shilling her book and is basically the Don Rickles of the right (for those of you with more gray hair, think of the first of this media ilk, Joe Pine, who was the first to make a career of verbally abusing his guests on TV). Unfortunately, Barye is right - the 911 widows would likely wither in the face of a Coulter barrage of non-expletive invectives.

Coulter does as much to damage the conservative cause as do Franken and Rhodes on the left. Maybe even more. Unfortunately, she confuses legs for brains. They are not equal.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    It's absurd how much power and money was directed to the survivors of the 9/11 victims.
    Most of us remember that the millions of 9//11 donations generous Americans made were scheduled to be spread out between various related charities as well as direct payments to the victims families.

It was outrage spurred on by Bill O'Riley's fair and balanced version of how the dollars should be spent that created the 9/11 millionares. He was the first and realy the only visible reporter covering the story of how "the liberals were planning on stealing the 9/11 donations".
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Most of us remember that the millions of 9//11 donations generous Americans made were scheduled to be spread out between various related charities as well as direct payments to the victims families.

It was outrage spurred on by Bill O'Riley's fair and balanced version of how the dollars should be spent that created the 9/11 millionares. He was the first and realy the only visible reporter covering the story of how "the liberals were planning on stealing the 9/11 donations".
    Blazerboy - that is patently WRONG. O'Reilly ws expressing outrage that MILLIONS were being donated and it was not going to the victims - too often these massive donation drives end up feeding "administrative costs" of those "caring" charities. The fact that your buddy Clooney couldn't even say for sure where the money was going was telling in itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    They don't deserve any more money, respect, power, or sympathy than the families of soldiers killed in combat, or the families of the Oklahoma bombing victims. And I don't think the lives of people killed on 9/11 are more valuable than the lives of people killed on any other day, under any other circumstances.
    I tend to agree with you. Although, if people want to donate, more power to them. I would add that the bar has been set far far to low in how we treat the families of of soldiers killed in combat, and how we treat the wounded who can no longer serve. Not a single soldier should ever have to worry about having a place to live, or medical care after they return. Unfortunately, that's not always the case.
    Last edited by gaffa; 06/14/2006 at 08:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffa
    I tend to agree with you. Although, if people want to donate, more power to them. I would add that the bar has been set far far to low in how we treat the families of of soldiers killed in combat, and how we treat the wounded who can no longer serve. Not a single soldier should ever have to worry about having a place to live, or medical care after they return. Unfortunately, that's not always the case.
    THIS IS THE TRUEST STATEMENT I'VE EVER SEEN OFF TOPIC.

There was a very sad political cartoon a few days (weeks?) ago comparing Congress' treatment of returning vets in WWII and now: panel one, Congress hands them the GI Bill - education assistance, low cost home loans, VA hospitals; panel two: the returning vet gets notice his SS # and identity has been compromised, and he now owes thousands in credit card fraud bills.

How tragic (and too true).
    Last edited by dstrauss; 06/14/2006 at 08:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    The fact that your buddy Clooney couldn't even say for sure where the money was going was telling in itself.
    And he made a lousy Batman as well.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    And he made a lousy Batman as well.
    Too much "Friends generation" angst in old George to be Batman.
    THIS IS THE TRUEST STATEMENT I'VE EVER SEEN OFF TOPIC.

There was a very sad political cartoon a few days (weeks?) ago comparing Congress' treatment of returning vets in WWII and now: panel one, Congress hands them the GI Bill - education assistance, low cost home loans, VA hospitals; panel two: the returning vet gets notice his SS # and identity has been compromised, and he now owes thousands in credit card fraud bills.

How tragic (and too true).
    Well you got in there before I could fix my mistake. Obviously I meant to say.."Unfortunately, that's not always the case."
    Well you got in there before I could fix my mistake. Obviously I meant to say.."Unfortunately, that's not always the case."
    I knew that's what you meant, and that's why I'm with ya. I've fixed my quote from you as well.
    Blazerboy - that is patently WRONG. O'Reilly ws expressing outrage that MILLIONS were being donated and it was not going to the victims - too often these massive donation drives end up feeding "administrative costs" of those "caring" charities. The fact that your buddy Clooney couldn't even say for sure where the money was going was telling in itself.
    O'Reilly said "Cut a check...Plain and simple." Not just for a portion of the money but for all of the money. He literally advocated dividing 100% of the dollars collected between the number of victim's families, and cutting checks. Which is not far from what happened.

LadyTreo, the money came from donations, not from the government. That would be silly.
    Yes people were donating, and none of them knew why. Nobody knew what the money was for, including the actors that donated their time to solicit donations, but at least George Clooney did more than I did.
    O'Reilly said "Cut a check...Plain and simple." Not just for a portion of the money but for all of the money. He literally advocated dividing 100% of the dollars collected between the number of victim's families, and cutting checks. Which is not far from what happened...
    And what exactly is wrong with that? Why should it sit in bank accounts, or worse yet, "administrative expense budgets" when it was given by thousands of caring individuals for relief for the victims...not to support another bureauracracy...

Here's a snip from your precious CNN (heaven forbid, not Fox) where the Red Cross intended to set aside HALF of the donations for future needs...that is NOT what the donations were given for...

"I see the Red Cross, which has raised hundreds of millions of dollars that was intended by the donating public to be used for the victims of September 11 -- I see those funds being sequestered into long-term plans for an organization," testified New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer.

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/US/11/0...aring/?related
    Last edited by dstrauss; 06/14/2006 at 08:58 AM.
    And what exactly is wrong with that? Why should it sit in bank accounts, or worse yet, "administrative expense budgets" when it was given by thousands of caring individuals for relief for the victims...not to support another bureauracracy...

Here's a snip from your precious CNN (heaven forbid, not Fox) where the Red Cross intended to set aside HALF of the donations for future needs...that is NOT what the donations were given for...
    I don't think it was clear WHAT the money was for, and I have not said anything for or against. SamKim and Ann Coulter were complaining about the 9/11 millionares, and I was just reminding everyone how they came about.
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    (Remember how clumsily Max Cleland (former Senator and triple amputee) and John Kerry acted when their courage and integrity was challenged by liars and cowards.)
    Whatever happened to them?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    and Michael Moore is your source? Don't believe everything you watch at the cinema.
    I don't go to the cinema unless it involves Over the Hedge, Cars or something my 10 year old asks me to take him to.

Do a yahoo on James Bath.

As for Moore....despite the vilifications, I have yet to see anyone post a list of innacuracies.
    Leno last night talked about Ann being on tomorrow....something to the effect that his "security staff was worried someone might try and drop a house on her".
    LadyTreo, the money came from donations, not from the government. That would be silly.
    Wrong again Blazerboy...

The report by Rand Institute for Social Justice (search) found that civilians killed or injured have received an average of $3.1 million per person from the government, charities and insurance companies, or $8.7 billion.

Emergency personnel killed or injured were given a total of about $1.9 billion. First responders received an average of $1.1 million more than civilians with similar economic losses, the study found. Most of the extra money came from charities.

Insurers paid 51 percent of the overall total, or about $19.6 billion. The government distributed $15.8 billion, or 42 percent, and charities paid $2.7 billion, or 7 percent.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast