Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Suicides provoke calls to close Guantanamo
    BY LESLEY CLARK

WASHINGTON - A key ally of the Bush administration and staunch supporter of the war in Iraq said Sunday that failing to close the Guantanamo Bay prison would compromise the administration's efforts to fight a global war on terror.

The assessment from Anders Fogh Rasmussen, the Prime Minister of Denmark, came the day after the first reported suicides of detainees at the post-Sept. 11 prison camp and followed Rasmussen's trip to Camp David with President Bush.

In an interview with CNN, Rasmussen said keeping prisoners behind bars "without legal proceedings" contradicts U.S. principles.

"It would be to the benefit of our cause and our fight for freedom, and against terrorism if the facilities at Guantanamo were closed down," said Rasmussen, whose small country has proved a strong defender of the war in Iraq and who last week became the first foreign leader in two years to spend time with Bush at the presidential retreat in Maryland.

The suicides of the two Saudi men and another from Yemen early Saturday at the remote island prison have sparked a fresh round of calls from around the globe to close the prison, which now houses nearly 500 detainees - some of whom have been held for more than four and a half years without charges or court hearings.

Human rights groups and a U.N. committee have denounced conditions at the camp and a lawyers group for detainees said the Bush administration is to blame for the deaths of the men, who according to military officials hung themselves with bed sheets and clothing.

"For all the suicide attempts and that this has finally happened, the death of these people lies squarely at the steps of the White House," said Barbara Olshansky, an attorney with the Center for Constitutional Rights, which plans a press conference in Washington Monday to detail complaints that military officials have withheld access to medical care and lawyers in an effort to isolate the detainees.

According to military officials, at least 23 of those being held at the camp have tried 41 times to commit suicide. Olshansky's group said the suicides reflect the "desperation" the men at the camp feel.

Military officials suggested Saturday that the men coordinated the suicides in hopes of gaining international condemnation of the United States.

Following a meeting Friday with Rasmussen during which the prime minister raised questions about Guantanamo, Bush said he told Rasmussen he'd like to close the camp and is working with countries to send back some of the men.

But Bush said others need to be tried in court because "there are some that, if put out on the streets, would create grave harm to American citizens and other citizens of the world."

Republican Sen. Arlen Specter Sunday criticized the administration for holding the detainees without trials.

"Those people have to be tried," said Specter, who chairs the Senate Judiciary Committee. Bush has said he is waiting for a U.S. Supreme Court ruling on whether the tribunals are constitutional, but Specter said the wait means "limbo and that creates a very difficult situation." The court is expected to issue its ruling by month's end.

Specter, who last summer suggested he'd launch an investigation into reported abuses of terror suspects at the camp, noted Sunday that some prisoners are being held on "the flimsiest sort of hearsay."
  2.    #2  
    Impeach Specter?
    Suicides are solving our Guantanamo problem one prisoner at a time. Can't keep them forever, can't release them. Catch 22.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ
    Suicides are solving our Guantanamo problem one prisoner at a time. Can't keep them forever, can't release them. Catch 22.
    So, trying, convicting, and executing them in a court was not one of the choices in your catch 22. Interesting.
    We would be forever be on the worlds sh*t list. The UN would want to try everybody for war crimes.
  6.    #6  
    We would be forever be on the worlds sh*t list. The UN would want to try everybody for war crimes.
    You're saying we cant convict the 9/11 perpetrators now because we would be called in to question for war crimes as well? OMG. Are you serious? Is this the new state of our nation?
    The Guantanamo boys had nothing to do with 9/11. Anyway, I actually am just commenting on world opinion. I am much more radical than that. If I had my way I would execute every last one of them with no trial and be done with it.
  8.    #8  
    If I had my way I would execute every last one of them with no trial and be done with it.
    Right, uh.... ok. Good point. And by "them" you mean?
    Anyone we thought worthy of putting in Guantanamo in the first place.
    The suicides are not provoking calls to close Gitmo... those calls went out long ago. This is just more fuel for the fire- that's all. Those who wanted it closed before would still want it closed anyway.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1
    The suicides are not provoking calls to close Gitmo... those calls went out long ago. This is just more fuel for the fire- that's all. Those who wanted it closed before would still want it closed anyway.
    Very good point.
  12.    #12  
    Anyone we thought worthy of putting in Guantanamo in the first place.
    Ahh right, good point. By "we" you mean?
    Our military under direction of the elected President.
    by our, I mean the United States
    By United, I mean the 50 states comprising the United States of Amercia, red or blue states.
    By America , I exclude Central and South (take no offense)
  17.    #17  
    In summary.

Trial not necissary. Judiciary not necissary, laws not necissary.

It is George W who decides where, when, and who is executed. Gotcha.
    Correct. Rats rule!!!
    By rats I mean my collective Repuplican party
  20.    #20  
    Correct. Rats rule!!!
    Refreshing. Thanks for the honesty.
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast