Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffa
    I'd rather think that the security is good, so I'll assume there was not watch on those who did commit.
    I have been a correction officer for both juvy and county. I have been involved in several suicide watches during those 4 years. Usually facilities have a limited amount of space optimal for these, but I have no idea what they have or don't have at their facilities. In the county jail where I worked, we had 4 suicide watch rooms. All right around the main security both so all officers can peek in as they walk by resulting in as many as 20 unofficial checks an hour. We would have official logged checks every 30 minutes. We had only one room for priority suicide watch that had a camera in it so the officer in the central control could watch him at all times too.

But I will tell you that if someone really wants to commit suicide, they will. Plain and simple. It may take several attempts due to the close surveillance and they may barely nothing to work with (i.e. bare minimum clothes, no eating utensils, etc...), but they will find a way.

I don't know the numbers, but suicide attempts are not uncommon and successful suicides are not a daily event, but not uncommon in the incarcerated community. But every successful suicide was followed through with a detailed investigation into the officers on duty, facility procedures, precautions taken vs indications of impending suicide, etc.... This is a matter of protocol.

EDIT: I found some numbers. It is interesting that violent offenders had over twice as many suicides as those who commit non violent crimes. It also ranges greatly in diferent levels, i.e. county or federal.

http://www.nicic.org/Misc/URLShell.a...pdf/shsplj.pdf
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 06/15/2006 at 02:45 PM.
    Thats a rather pathetic suicide watch. A proper suicide watch has some-one at arms length, with hands visible at all times.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Thats a rather pathetic suicide watch. A proper suicide watch has some-one at arms length, with hands visible at all times.
    And a drumstick in each hand. Oh yes, don't forget that they must hold 8 flags between their toes and only be fed marshmallows and Tang.
    In my line of work I have to deal with people who use really creative methods to harm themselves. The most popular is using the elastic from their underwear to strangle themselves under their sheets. If the observer is not vigilant some-one can kill themselves successfully while you are sitting right next to them. Other less effective but still annoying methods is eating batteries from the television remote controls. This sometimes means a trip to the surgeons to get it dug out. The stupidest one (besides running into the wall full tilt head on) would be drinking shampoo while in the shower

Surur
  5.    #145  
    In my line of work I have to deal with people who use really creative methods to harm themselves. The most popular is using the elastic from their underwear to strangle themselves under their sheets. If the observer is not vigilant some-one can kill themselves successfully while you are sitting right next to them. Other less effective but still annoying methods is eating batteries from the television remote controls. This sometimes means a trip to the surgeons to get it dug out. The stupidest one (besides running into the wall full tilt head on) would be drinking shampoo while in the shower
    Dude, you need to talk to your high school guidance counselor.
    At least I get paid well

Surur

Surur
    Some faculties have the man power and budget to provide one on one care and others do not.

I guess I should have been more specific. The priority room does not have a bed, sink, toilet, with constant video monitoring (we did not have the staff to provide someone to sit one on one which is why we had constant video montitoring with over 9 officers physically checking in each time they walked by. That easily added up to 2-4 times an hour per officer which equals 18-36 checks an hour or averages to a check every 2-3 minutes). No sheets were allowed to hide under. They are not allowed to wear any underwear or socks. Yes, directions are given to have hand visible at all times and an officer is sent in immediately when they are not.

But that was not the point....if someone wants to kill themselves they will. Even if they have to wait out the one on one attention.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 06/15/2006 at 04:11 PM.
    If someone wishes to end their own life, so be it.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    When they check in, we should just give them each 10' of rope. That way, they wont have to tear the sheets
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  10.    #150  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    When they check in, we should just give them each 10' of rope. That way, they wont have to tear the sheets
    For those of you that don't know. Claire's last job was Gitmo warden.
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Claire for warden!
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    For those of you that don't know. Claire's last job was Gitmo warden.
    Current job probably.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ
    If I had my way I would execute every last one of them with no trial and be done with it.
    Sounds like we should invade your country:

-your country has WMD's
    -your country tortures people
    -your country keeps people in prison w/ no access to courts
    -your country sanctions the denial of civil rights to certain groups

what other reasons were given for toppling Saddam ?
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE

-your country has WMD's

Who's going to do it? Perhaps France, Germany, Iran? LOL!
  15.    #155  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE

-your country has WMD's

Oh, Ooh, Ooh, Ties to Al Quaida, dont forget Ties to Al Quaida.
    Michael Moore, table for three?
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Why us of course ! We could sub the job out like in Afganistan and hire civilian contractors who made huge campaign contributions.
    Claire for warden!
    I think Jack was referring to the fictional country in which RICHINMJ calls the shots.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    You know, I'm starting to come around to the liberal way of thinking on this whole gitmo closure thing.

I say, once all of the perps commit suicide, and the sooner the better, then lets just close that place down.

Who's with me?!?
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast