Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Semi on-topic: http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/0....7450zyd1.html

Hardline Islamic courts shut cinema halls and barred residents from watching the World Cup, prompting scores of civilians to protest the ban in which two people were killed, court officials and residents have said.
    On Sunday, residents said Islamic gunmen were roaming in Sukahola and Huriwa neighbourhoods in northern Mogadishu to ensure that the ban was enforced.
    "Since the Islamic courts took control of Mogadishu, we knew they would not allow us to watch football," said a dejected Dahir Abubakar Hassan, a resident of northern Mogadishu.
    Last Monday, the Islamists defeated the warlords and seized control of most of Mogadishu, sparking fears of a Taliban-like takeover, with the forcible imposition of Sharia law, but the court's leader Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed said he would not impose the laws unless civilians called for them.
    Information Minister Mohamed Abdi Hayir said anybody who violates the curfew -- which runs from 9:00 PM (1800 GMT) to 5:00 am (0200 GMT), shall be sentenced to one to three months in jail with a fine of between 1,500,000 Somali shillings (1,080 dollars) and 3,000,000 shillings (2,160 dollars).
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ
    One of the spanish stations has them all. I believe it is univision.
    Here's Univision's schedule: http://www.univision.com/content/cha...html?secid=331

And ESPN's: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/worldcu...w=date&cc=5901 ESPN's is also available by Group

My nephew is visiting from Mexico and we are watching some of both so far. We're both fully bilingual and watched the first half of the Mexico-Iran game in Spanish, and the second half in English. We were disappointed in the Univision broadcasts: the announcers don't impress us as knowing the game, it's history, and nuances as well as in Mexico and I presume other countries -at least not much better than the ESPN's. But when Mexico scored its second goal, we went back to Univision and stayed there to enjoy the pro-Mexico sound and fury. We're planning on sticking with ESPN for the US game today.

Viva Mexico!
    Go USA!
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonStern
    Nice free worldcup software for Treo here: http://euro.palm.com/uk/treofootball...mh=edc1.149444
    yeah, nice little app, I tried it out and it works fine...
    - Jeeman
    What's up with Japan...?? They cannot stand the heat??

Al
    I watched all the games save for Portugal v Angola yesterday. Man, some great playing overall! While heartbroken to see Iran have such a ****ty second half I was happy to see Mexican play a pretty solid game...their third goal was absolutely beautiful. Now, if only I could skip out of work each day to watch the rest of the games...
    yaaaaaawnnn....

I've had the usa/czch game on for the last half hour -- I'm sorry -- I really don't get it. Oh, I understand the nationalism rah rah stuff

the games are just soooo boring.

so glad that world cup is only every 4 years.

Flame away ...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    yaaaaaawnnn....

I've had the usa/czch game on for the last half hour -- I'm sorry -- I really don't get it. Oh, I understand the nationalism rah rah stuff

Flame away ...
    Ouch - another one of those rare times the stream converge and we are on the same side.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Ouch - another one of those rare times the stream converge and we are on the same side.

football (the real kind) has excitement, intellect, strategy. Those big fat guys actually have to memorize like the Koran of playbooks and instantly process that info during the game -- and have the mental agility to adjust and improvise. Chess for the brawny. (And its fun to watch too.)

girls soccer maybe ...
    Sorry, but the boredom comes with not having played and/or not understanding the game. How many of your wives and girlfriends are bored by US football?
    Last edited by Rodolfo; 06/12/2006 at 02:14 PM.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    Sorry, but the boredom comes with not having played and/or not understanding the game. How many of your wives and girlfriends are bored by US football?
    If only US football could be played int eh same uniforms as soccer - that is what holds their interest - not the game.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    If only US football could be played int eh same uniforms as soccer - that is what holds their interest - not the game.
    It's called rugby!
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    yaaaaaawnnn....

Flame away ...
    I just got done watching this game....I am on the USA side...I have to say they were boring today!!!!! It was an very disappointing display of energy. They seemed to spend most of their time chasing the ball.....or probably more true to the point waiting for it to come to them.....instead of commanding it.

But even with a 0-3 loss, it is not over the USA by any means. As long as they show Italy on Saturday what they can really do, we still can still make it to the next round.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 06/12/2006 at 04:34 PM.
    American football (i.e. the kind that isn't played with the feet and therefore clearly not real football :P) is the most tedious game I've ever watched, even worse than rugby. It's certainly possible to have a boring football match too, but at it's best football is just about the most exciting game on the planet. That's why it's the world's most watched and played game.

I'm not too sure Eng-er-land are going to do that well though, terrible second half on Saturday. The USA were shocking against the Czechs too, although those Czechs are a good side.
    Animo et Fide
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterBrown
    American football (i.e. the kind that isn't played with the feet and therefore clearly not real football :P) is the most tedious game I've ever watched, even worse than rugby.
    No....cricket takes the cake for me for being the most boring and tedious sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I just got done watching this game....I am on the USA side...I have to say they were boring today!!!!! It was an very disappointing display of energy. They seemed to spend most of their time chasing the ball instead of commanding it.

Even with a 0-3 loss, it is not over the USA by any means. As long as they show Italy on Saturday what they can really do, we still can still make it to the next round.
    so you admit it was boring

Are you acknowleging that foolsball is inherently lame (as it were) ???

I'm not sure if this anology makes sense or not -- but soccer for me is like watching a performance of Waiting For Godot over and over -- and hoping for a different outcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I just got done watching this game....I am on the USA side...I have to say they were boring today!!!!! It was an very disappointing display of energy. They seemed to spend most of their time chasing the ball.....or probably more true to the point waiting for it to come to them.....instead of commanding it.

But even with a 0-3 loss, it is not over the USA by any means. As long as they show Italy on Saturday what they can really do, we still can still make it to the next round.
    You've made my point - isn't a 3-0 win considered a "blowout" in the soccer world? Three measely points?
    THE WORLD CUP ROCKSSSS....!!!!

I don't care what silly monkeys say, I just love this sport with passion and there is nothing that is gonna change that. Well, maybe if there was no Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Beckham, Henry, Ballack, Requelme, Saviola, Zidane, Klose... etc... I would say it is boring... but while they exist I have to say..

I LOVE FOOTBALL SOCCER

Al
    My favorite sport is hockey but I have this to say for soccer. No one tells a team how they should play. You want 10 guys up, one back go for it. You want 10 guys back, one up, fine. Anyway you want to assign your players and attack is fine. You can even play for a tie and win on a shoot out. All other sports constantly alter the rules to make the game more "exciting". Basketball was better before the shot clock. Five ivy league no running no jumping students would pass circles around you until they got the shot they wanted. Now with the new rules, you have to be bigger and faster. Thats why we now get our butts kicked in international play. The players now are much more physically gifted but have no skills. Can't shoot foul shots, make two consecutive passes or dribble and their attention spans to play defense border on a.d.d.
    There have been alterations to the rules of football over the years, but they are 'tweaks' rather than complete overhauls. Recent examples would be the backpass rule, which says that the goalkeeper can't pick up the ball when it's kicked back to him; and the changes to the offside rule. The scoring system has changed over time as well, the world cup and all major leagues that I'm aware of now use the British system of 3 points for a win and 1 for a draw - I'm old enough to remember when they had 2 points for a win in the world cup.
    Before every major tournament FIFA decide that a particular offence will be punished more harshly than usual too, this time it's barging. There's not really any logical reason for this I don't think, they just like to be seen to be tough.
    Generally however the game is recognisably the same game that became professional Association Football in the late Victorian period, albeit probably less violent.

The game has changed a lot since the twelth century however, although it is still played in its ancient form occasionally: http://royal-shrovetide-football.search.ipupdater.com/ when the rules include 'No murder or manslaughter'
    Animo et Fide
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Does every thread have to be hijacked along the way?
    Those who don't like football, then stay away...

Anyway, getting back on topic:
    I'll say it because none of you will... the US were totally outclassed...
    But fans, don't feel too badly... I think were just saw a team capable of giving Brazil some real problems in the Czech...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast