Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 187
  1. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #161  
    Shouldn't the Book of Mormon be taught as "sacred text"? How about the Satanic Bible?
  2. #162  
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffa
    I missed where the thread took a turn. I was following the title of the thread "Should the Bible Be Included In High School Literature Curriculum?"

    As to your point, I'm a bit slow. I don't get it. Is what you're talking about analogous to studying politics and ethics via Dr Seuss? Are we going to call every story that relates to good/evil, morality etc fruit of the bible tree? Seems like that stuff existed before then and can be found in every culture.
    I must have missed yours also. Sorry.

    I only meant to point out that Old testament works are ALREADY in literature books and classes. The book of Ruth, Abraham, the story of the Arc, etc.

    You were talking about what would happen if they would be added.
  3. #163  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    Shouldn't the Book of Mormon be taught as "sacred text"? How about the Satanic Bible?
    Of course, cornerstones of western civilization, and the basis for all our other liturature.
  4. #164  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    Indeed.

    In one letter to his protege, Paul declares 'all scripture is given by inspiration from God.'

    Have any idea to what "scripture" he was referring?
    Sorry, no idea. However I do note the gospels that made it to the bible were chosen by men, not God.

    Surur
  5. #165  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Sorry, no idea. However I do note the gospels that made it to the bible were chosen by men, not God.

    Surur
    Itallian men I think. And wasn't the bible "sealed" only 300 years go?
  6. #166  
    I think Davinci had something to do with it on the grassy knoll with the Bin Laden family. You guys crack me up.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  7. #167  
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    I think Davinci had something to do with it on the grassy knoll with the Bin Laden family. You guys crack me up.
    That old self-referential argument. The bible as it is now is obviously the divinely inspired infallible scripture, and everything that has been discarded and added along the way is God's will, because its the Bible, as we all know the Bible is God's word.

    Surur
  8. #168  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    That old self-referential argument. The bible as it is now is obviously the divinely inspired infallible scripture, and everything that has been discarded and added along the way is God's will, because its the Bible, as we all know the Bible is God's word.

    Surur
    You finally get it. God bless you Surur!
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  9. #169  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    What do you mean "we"?
    Christians.
  10. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #170  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    Christians.
    Ahh, so you're talking about in Christian schools. If you're talking about public schools, I'm gonna have to politely disagree.
  11. #171  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    Shouldn't the Book of Mormon be taught as "sacred text"? How about the Satanic Bible?
    Okay. But neither has the significance in Western thought that the Bible has. If we include them it should be done in relation to their significance. The former has greater significance in the history of migration in the Western US; the latter has little to no significance in the history of the West except as an example of 60's poseur trash (IMHO).
  12. #172  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    Ahh, so you're talking about in Christian schools. If you're talking about public schools, I'm gonna have to politely disagree.
    Right, I was specifically referring to Christian education. I don't think public school is the place for it, nor do I think they would get it right.

    EDIT: Although I do think its appropriate for the public school to teach that Christians believe it is the story of the redemption of man.
  13. #173  
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    I think Davinci had something to do with it on the grassy knoll with the Bin Laden family. You guys crack me up.
    It is called history and you expose your ignorace of it. The Bible was sealed in the 1500s after the Protostant Reformation. Some suggest even later.
  14. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #174  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    Right, I was specifically referring to Christian education. I don't think public school is the place for it, nor do I think they would get it right.

    EDIT: Although I do think its appropriate for the public school to teach that Christians believe it is the story of the redemption of man.
    Do you have a problem with it being taught as literature, and not sacred text? To clarify, not to proclaim it's "not" sacred text..... simply to review and discuss its historical value, analyze its stories, poetry, metaphors, styles, etc.
  15. #175  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    Do you have a problem with it being taught as literature, and not sacred text? To clarify, not to proclaim it's "not" sacred text..... simply to review and discuss its historical value, analyze its stories, poetry, metaphors, styles, etc.
    The problem is that I think the two are mutually exclusive. That is, I don't think you can discuss the Bible's proper historical value without discussing the fact that billions of people throughout history have viewed it as God's Word.

    Now, with regard to using it as an example of literary style, I think that is entirely appropriate.
  16. #176  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    EDIT: Although I do think its appropriate for the public school to teach that Christians believe it is the story of the redemption of man.

    Whats does that mean in any case, and how does the bible illustrate that?

    Surur
  17. #177  
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    It is called history and you expose your ignorace of it. The Bible was sealed in the 1500s after the Protostant Reformation. Some suggest even later.
    There is no need for personal attacks. I love you and God loves you.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  18. #178  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Whats does that mean in any case, and how does the bible illustrate that?

    Surur
    The Messiah is depicted early in the Book of Genesis as the "enmity" that God will put between the seed of Eve and the seed of the Devil (depicted as the serpent in the garden). The future suffering of the Messiah is also illustrated by God killing an animal so that the hide could be used as a covering for Adam and Eve's nakedness (the knowledge of their own nakedness being a result of the first sin). That message, more clearly stated later in Scripture is that the "wages of sin is death" (Rom. 6:23); that those who turned away from God--the source of life--would die. But according to the Love of God, He transferred that penalty to His Son so that His people might live. The Son, Jesus Christ, is throughout the OT described as the Sacrificial Lamb, one without spot or blemish, that would satisfy God's justice towards the evil of the world. This is illustrated by the famous passage: "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16) Virtually every story in the OT either illustrates the redemption of God's people from their own sin by a future Messiah or describes the nature of the Messiah or has overt prophesies about the coming of the Messiah.

    The time afforded me to post won't do justice to the actual message but I hope I gave a fair synopsis.
  19. #179  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    The Messiah is depicted early in the Book of Genesis as the "enmity" that God will put between the seed of Eve and the seed of the Devil (depicted as the serpent in the garden). The future suffering of the Messiah is also illustrated by God killing an animal so that the hide could be used as a covering for Adam and Eve's nakedness (the knowledge of their own nakedness being a result of the first sin). That message, more clearly stated later in Scripture is that the "wages of sin is death" (Rom. 6:23); that those who turned away from God--the source of life--would die. But according to the Love of God, He transferred that penalty to His Son so that His people might live. The Son, Jesus Christ, is throughout the OT described as the Sacrificial Lamb, one without spot or blemish, that would satisfy God's justice towards the evil of the world. This is illustrated by the famous passage: "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16) Virtually every story in the OT either illustrates the redemption of God's people from their own sin by a future Messiah or describes the nature of the Messiah or has overt prophesies about the coming of the Messiah.

    The time afforded me to post won't do justice to the actual message but I hope I gave a fair synopsis.
    Great job
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  20. #180  
    Thanks. I understood less at the end, but thats not your fault. There is just very little logic in the whole filed. Thanks for trying however.

    Surur
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions