Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump.
    I said, "Don't do it!"
    He said, "Nobody loves me."
    I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"
    He said, "Yes."
    I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?"
    He said, "A Christian."
    I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?"
    He said, "Protestant."
    I said, "Me, too! What franchise?"
    He said, "Baptist."
    I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?"
    He said, "Northern Baptist."
    I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"
    He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist."
    I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?"
    He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region."
    I said, "Me, too!" Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?"
    He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912."
    I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.
    Okay, that's funny. Sad, but funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    The writings of the apostle known as Paul disagrees with your assertion. But even if you were accurate in your assessment regarding the credited authors, those who would have recorded the traditions in written form were living it as well.Here we agree. Teaching the Bible in public schools should be a function of literature. To whatever extent people choose to use the text as a lamp for their feet or a light for their paths is just that--their choice.
    shopharim, you extremist!!
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Far too often, religious peoples condemn
    period
  4.    #144  
    I said (amongst many other things)
    Far too often, religious peoples condemn people rather than behavior.
    Micael, you recommended this truncated version,
    Far too often, religious peoples condemn (period)
    It raised this question for me: When is condemnation appropriate?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I said (amongst many other things)
    Micael, you recommended this truncated version,
    It raised this question for me: When is condemnation appropriate?
    When secular laws are broken.
  6.    #146  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    When secular laws are broken.
    So, then it is not condemnation that you oppose, but the use of certain frames of reference as a basis for condemnation. Is that an accurate assessment?
    Isn't the old testament a really really bad bad tale to teach people moral examples and codes to live by from. Probably about everything you dont want people to do are done in the old testament and approved of by God.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Isn't the old testament a really really bad bad tale to teach people moral examples and codes to live by from. Probably about everything you dont want people to do are done in the old testament and approved of by God.
    Tough to sum up. It would probably be best if you read it and drew your own conclusions. It's different things to different people.

Surur
    Again, who here is saying it should be taught in school as anything but sacred literature? Now, as far as a religious upbringing goes, I think its entirely appropriate to teach from the OT but not just as a set of moral codes. It should be taught for what we believe it to be: the story of how God redeemed the human race.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    Again, who here is saying it should be taught in school as anything but sacred literature? Now, as far as a religious upbringing goes, I think its entirely appropriate to teach from the OT but not just as a set of moral codes. It should be taught for what we believe it to be: the story of how God redeemed the human race.
    If I suggest some type of deep meaning of the dolphin from the book The Old Man and the Sea, you may not see it that way and offer a different take. If I suggest that Noah was a made up character to teach a lesson, you may jump up and shout blaspheme! Now, lets get ready to Rumbleeeeeeeeeee!

I think bringing the bible into schools for literary sake is like being a little bit pregnant. And once you start using tax money to buy bibles, get ready to shell out a lot more tax money for court and attorney fees.
    If was referring to Shopharim saying the old testament is the basis of Christianity. Even Christians should disown that part. Its got genocide, murder, revenge, sexism and intolerance in it, not to mention disproportionate punishment.

Surur
    If was referring to Shopharim saying the old testament is the basis of Christianity. Even Christians should disown that part. Its got genocide, murder, revenge, sexism and intolerance in it, not to mention disproportionate punishment.
    So basically it's just another U.S. history lesson?

I know, I know...."America Hater!" LOL
  13.    #153  

Surur
    In one letter to his protege, Paul declares 'all scripture is given by inspiration from God' have any idea to what "scripture" he was referring?
    In one letter to his protege, Paul declares 'all scripture is given by inspiration from God' have any idea to what "scripture" he was referring?
    Your sentence does not parse.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffa
    I think bringing the bible into schools for literary sake is like being a little bit pregnant. And once you start using tax money to buy bibles, get ready to shell out a lot more tax money for court and attorney fees.
    We are not talking about bringing the bible in, but whether it should be taken out.

Old testament stories are in, and have been in liturature books and classes, and will continue to be. Right along side Beowolf.

I haven't heard of any legal fees yet, although, as I said, my born again classmate did stay home that week.
  16.    #156  
    Your sentence does not parse.

Surur
    Indeed.

In one letter to his protege, Paul declares 'all scripture is given by inspiration from God.'

Have any idea to what "scripture" he was referring?
    Indeed.

In one letter to his protege, Paul declares 'all scripture is given by inspiration from God.'

Have any idea to what "scripture" he was referring?
    The one that proves that your religion is the only true one of the world?
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    We are not talking about bringing the bible in, but whether it should be taken out.

Old testament stories are in, and have been in liturature books and classes, and will continue to be. Right along side Beowolf.

I haven't heard of any legal fees yet, although, as I said, my born again classmate did stay home that week.
    I missed where the thread took a turn. I was following the title of the thread "Should the Bible Be Included In High School Literature Curriculum?"

As to your point, I'm a bit slow. I don't get it. Is what you're talking about analogous to studying politics and ethics via Dr Seuss? Are we going to call every story that relates to good/evil, morality etc fruit of the bible tree? Seems like that stuff existed before then and can be found in every culture.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    So, then it is not condemnation that you oppose, but the use of certain frames of reference as a basis for condemnation. Is that an accurate assessment?
    No, you're reading in to what I said. Its plain and simple. When secular laws are broken.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    What do you mean "we"?
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast