Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 187
  1.    #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterBrown
    Why do people consider the King James version of the bible superior? It's written in lovely poetic form but it's largely a rework of Tyndale's version. I've never heard anyone praising Tyndale's version in the same way.

    Here's a good trick to play when in a hotel, open up the Bible you find in the bedside cabinet and write in the front - "All the best, God". Impossible for the next person to take it seriously after they read that.
    Everybody knows God would write, "I biddest thee all the best"
  2. #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterBrown
    Why do people consider the King James version of the bible superior? It's written in lovely poetic form but it's largely a rework of Tyndale's version. I've never heard anyone praising Tyndale's version in the same way.

    Here's a good trick to play when in a hotel, open up the Bible you find in the bedside cabinet and write in the front - "All the best, God". Impossible for the next person to take it seriously after they read that.
    Hey Hat...ya gonna stay around??
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  3. #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    Everybody knows God would write, "I biddest thee all the best"
    Only if they've been reading the King James...

    Quote Originally Posted by Clairegrrl
    Hey Hat...ya gonna stay around??
    Probably not, don't use a Treo anymore, came on here to see what you guys were making of the World Cup more than anything, because that's an important topic of conversation, all the religion and politics stuff leaves me cold.
    Animo et Fide
  4. #124  
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterBrown
    Probably not, don't use a Treo anymore, came on here to see what you guys were making of the World Cup more than anything, because that's an important topic of conversation, all the religion and politics stuff leaves me cold.
    Life without a Treo?? You guys and your futbol
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  5. #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterBrown
    Only if they've been reading the King James...


    Probably not, don't use a Treo anymore, came on here to see what you guys were making of the World Cup more than anything, because that's an important topic of conversation, all the religion and politics stuff leaves me cold.
    What's the world cup?
  6. #126  
    An old lady was on a flight. She was sitting beside a young businessman. After the in-flight meal she took out her Holy Bible and starts her devotion.
    The businessman glances at her and said, "Do you really believe those stuff in the Bible is true?"
    "Well, yes, as a matter of fact I do," said the old lady.
    "Yeah, right..." the man scoffs, "like... what's that guy's name, the one who got swallowed by a whale..."
    "You mean Jonah?"
    "Yeah, Jonah, I mean, how do you actually survive for 3 days in a fish's bowel?"
    "I don't know," replied the old lady, "but I can ask him when I see him in heaven someday."
    Feeling smart, the young man said: "Ok, but what if he's not in heaven because he went to hell?"
    "Then young man, *you* can ask him" replied the old lady calmly.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  7. #127  
    The believe the bible should be included in high schools just to give student exposure to a relationship with God. In the city I live in students are expose the gay and lesbian studies but not the bible to me it does not make sense to me because being a Christian is alternative lifestyle too.

    Most people complain about how greedy companies like spirit and palm exploit people. Well if these corporate heads can really see how bad there greed is from a heart level is maybe they won't take advantage of there customers. The more Godless our society get the more self center people will get and you can expect the next generation to exploit its customers even more.

    I know there are a lot of false Christians but the true Christians have the best hearts. I know my opinion goes against popular opinion but you know what I don't care I will stand by my beliefs.

    One love peace!!!!!
  8. #128  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamice4u
    The believe the bible should be included in high schools just to give student exposure to a relationship with God. In the city I live in students are expose the gay and lesbian studies but not the bible to me it does not make sense to me because being a Christian is alternative lifestyle too.

    Most people complain about how greedy companies like spirit and palm exploit people. Well if these corporate heads can really see how bad there greed is from a heart level is maybe they won't take advantage of there customers. The more Godless our society get the more self center people will get and you can expect the next generation to exploit its customers even more.

    I know there are a lot of false Christians but the true Christians have the best hearts. I know my opinion goes against popular opinion but you know what I don't care I will stand by my beliefs.

    One love peace!!!!!
    So the Old testament stories teach Christianity?

    How about when we teach the Illiad and the Odysey? We're teaching the students to have a personal relationship with Zeus right?
  9. #129  
    In school, they were teaching how God created everything, including human beings. Little Johnny seemed especially intent when they told him how Eve was created out of one of Adam's ribs.

    Later in the week, his mother noticed him lying down as though he were ill, and said, "Johnny what is the matter?"

    Little Johnny responded, "I have a pain in my side. I think I'm going to have a wife."
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  10. #130  
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    What's the world cup?
    It's this enormous bowl that sits halfway between London and Cairo, just over Stockholm in the old West Germany. People go there every four years to eat peanuts and drink beer. It holds about 3,453,000,342.7 people. And it has a handle made of leather.
    Animo et Fide
  11.    #131  
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    So the Old testament stories teach Christianity?
    Yes.

    What other text would the first century Church use? They were living and writing what we now refer to as the "new testament".
  12. #132  
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    What's the world cup?
    Sounds like something to do with religion and wine?
  13. #133  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    Yes.

    What other text would the first century Church use? They were living and writing what we now refer to as the "new testament".
    The Septuagint maybe?
    Animo et Fide
  14. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #134  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamice4u
    The believe the bible should be included in high schools just to give student exposure to a relationship with God. In the city I live in students are expose the gay and lesbian studies but not the bible to me it does not make sense to me because being a Christian is alternative lifestyle too.
    They are being exposed to gay and lesbian studies because of hate crimes that still go on against gays. When christians start getting the crap beat out them again, let us know.
  15. #135  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    They are being exposed to gay and lesbian studies because of hate crimes that still go on against gays. When christians start getting the crap beat out them again, let us know.
    If you see a coliseum and some lions, watch out!
    Or, you could go to China? j/k
  16. #136  
    Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump.
    I said, "Don't do it!"
    He said, "Nobody loves me."
    I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"
    He said, "Yes."
    I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?"
    He said, "A Christian."
    I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?"
    He said, "Protestant."
    I said, "Me, too! What franchise?"
    He said, "Baptist."
    I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?"
    He said, "Northern Baptist."
    I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"
    He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist."
    I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?"
    He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region."
    I said, "Me, too!" Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?"
    He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912."
    I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  17. #137  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    Yes.

    What other text would the first century Church use? They were living and writing what we now refer to as the "new testament".
    Of course the old testament stories teach Christianity, not Islam, or Judism, or Humanism, you've already shared your beliefs.

    And nobody "lived and wrote" the new testament, it was an oral tradition passed down from those who "lived it" to those who wrote it.

    And as I said, I suppose when we teach The Illiad in lituratur class, we are teaching polytheism? Or perhaps we are just teaching liturature. Ding. Tell me if a light bulb goes off.
  18.    #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    They are being exposed to gay and lesbian studies because of hate crimes that still go on against gays. When christians start getting the crap beat out them again, let us know.
    Excellent point!

    I believe that homosexual activists have employed the adage, "the best defense is a good offense." They have responded to the violence by seeking to change the cultural environment that precipitates it.

    And, most assuredly, that cultural environment has been influenced significantly by (well meaning, I think...I hope) religious peoples. Far too often, religious peoples condemn people rather than behavior.

    Of the myriad religions in the world, my beliefs are most closely aligned with that of "christianity" so I only speak definitively of its tenets. And, without hesitation, I can say that condemnation of people is specifically contrary to what we are taught in scripture.

    In my past, I have been guilty of such condemnation. However, what I later discovered in the very same text I thought I was the revelation that I was and am most deserving of condemnation. The realization of self-incrimination is a miracle worker in terms keeping one from accusing others.

    That is not to say that all behavior is therefore condoned. Quite the opposite. But the kingdom-authorized response is loving correction.

    Now that I better understand the command to love, I know somewhat better how to address behaviors. And, this, by the way, is why I so dislike the term "hate" being used concerning any and all opposition. One most certainly can be opposed in love.

    My fellow buh-LEE-vers and I have to do better at that.

    Then perhaps, people wouldn't be so opposed to having arguably the most influential piece of literature in the world discussed in public schools (how's that for getting back on topic?).
  19.    #139  
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Of course the old testament stories teach Christianity, not Islam, or Judism, or Humanism, you've already shared your beliefs.
    To this day, I don't understand why you find it necessary to reframe my words into your preconceived notion.

    I did not say that the old testament does not teach Islam, Judaism or Humanism. I made no mention of those belief systems at all. In fact, neither did you. You suggested that the old testament it did not teach christianity, and I thought I would provide you insight that is obviously lacking.

    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    And nobody "lived and wrote" the new testament, it was an oral tradition passed down from those who "lived it" to those who wrote it.
    The writings of the apostle known as Paul disagrees with your assertion. But even if you were accurate in your assessment regarding the credited authors, those who would have recorded the traditions in written form were living it as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    And as I said, I suppose when we teach The Illiad in lituratur class, we are teaching polytheism? Or perhaps we are just teaching liturature. Ding. Tell me if a light bulb goes off.
    Here we agree. Teaching the Bible in public schools should be a function of literature. To whatever extent people choose to use the text as a lamp for their feet or a light for their paths is just that--their choice.

    We ought not withhold the Iliad from class because some may use it as a basis for how they live their lives. Likewise, we need not restrict the Bible on that same basis, given that both works have such significant influence in literature in particular, and the culture in general.
  20. #140  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    The writings of the apostle known as Paul disagrees with your assertion. But even if you were accurate in your assessment regarding the credited authors, those who would have recorded the traditions in written form were living it as well....
    There are a few extreme scholars that suggest original authorship of the Gospels, all of them Christians, and all of accepting that the author(s) would have been in their 90s. The same scholars believe that people used to live to be 900 years old.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions