Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffa
    Then don't just pick christianity and use the excuse of living in the west to justify it. You want history as a human being, then let the Koran and Vedas in as well.
    The age of reason lives....
    Then don't just pick christianity and use the excuse of living in the west to justify it. You want history as a human being, then let the Koran and Vedas in as well.
    I'm not opposed to that. I disagree that either of them has had the impact on our culture that the Bible has but they're certainly important for the understanding of the development of certain cultures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    The first one more than the second. But I'm ok with 'historic fiction'. We can still use myths to illustrate ways to behave, or rules to live by. I'm not christian, as some may have guessed by now, so I can't speak for them. But my understanding is that *most* christians do not take the bible as literal. Its more a tool for teaching the ideology, e.g., method and path to salvation.
    The problem with using myths to illustrate ideals is that it can teach people impractical and unrealistic things, e.g. God killing all the Sodomites, which would not stand them in good stead in their lives. Also there are way too many literalists around. Remember 50% of people have an IQ less than 100.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Remember 50% of people have an IQ less than 100.
    hoovs is about to ask for evidence
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Literature is also fiction.

Are you saying that it actually rained for 40 days and 40 nights? And noah moved a pair of every animal on to the boat he made? And then repopulated the earth with his wife? Some incest had to be going on did it not? And it seems like the TRex would have eaten the pigs.
    There are modern day records that have shown a greater number of days with rainfall. Mission Beach Australia 1932 - 50 consecutive days. Granted, it wasn't much of a rain, but it was measurable!

The TRex tried to eat a meteor, so unfortantely, he didn't make the boat trip!
    Incest still occurs today. We've just decided that you need to be further apart than first cousins (I think fourth is legal?) to keep the gene pool looking somewhat clean. LOL
    hoovs is about to ask for evidence
    I wish I was smart enough to understand that statement.
    I feel myself loosing IQ points, just for being in this conversation but here goes ...
    There are modern day records that have shown a greater number of days with rainfall. Mission Beach Australia 1932 - 50 consecutive days.
    For real? Did it flood every inch of land on the earth, killing all life except for what was preserved on a homemade wooden boat?
    The TRex tried to eat a meteor, so unfortantely, he didn't make the boat trip!
    Really? Was this after Adam and Eve narrowly escaped his big sharp teeth in the garden of eden 5000 years ago at the beginning of time?
    Incest still occurs today. We've just decided that you need to be further apart than first cousins (I think fourth is legal?) to keep the gene pool looking somewhat clean. LOL
    So this explains why Noah's son's intercouse with his mother and sisters created enough genetic diversity to maintain a healthy human population sufficient to repopulate the earth?
    I feel myself loosing IQ points, just for being in this conversation but here goes ...
    No...you'll lose IQ points for misspelling losing!!

Spell check hater!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    No...you'll lose IQ points for misspelling losing!!

Spell check hater!
    lol, i thought about spell checking that word
    Isn't GWB a bible literalist?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Isn't GWB a bible literalist?
    It would be difficult or impossible to pin him down on that one. It is not something that he would admit.
    It would be difficult or impossible to pin him down on that one. It is not something that he would admit.
    I got that impression from his endorsement of "intelligent design" as a factual subject to teach in science class, and by the the fact that he is a born again Christian with apparent apocalyptic views.

Surur
    Not in public schools, plain and simple. And public school kids shouldn't be required to read the Koran either.
    Has any kid in the US been required to read the koran??
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    I feel myself loosing IQ points, just for being in this conversation but here goes ...For real? Did it flood every inch of land on the earth, killing all life except for what was preserved on a homemade wooden boat? Really? Was this after Adam and Eve narrowly escaped his big sharp teeth in the garden of eden 5000 years ago at the beginning of time? So this explains why Noah's son's intercouse with his mother and sisters created enough genetic diversity to maintain a healthy human population sufficient to repopulate the earth?
    I think you loose points for taking yourself too seriously. I'm not sure where you were going with the Noah thing. All of his sons had wives. If you're trying to apply today's science to the events of 2348 BC, you'll just get frustrated. It doesn't work. Your talking about a time when people lived to be over 900 years old.

I'm not quite sure of what your point is. If I took you seriously and answered your questions, you'd only question my answers, and so on, and so on. I could do the same line of questioning when it comes to scientific explanations such as the big bang theory. If it's not repeatable, it's not science!

While I wouldn't begin to take the bible literally, I also wouldn't dismiss it. The same goes for a good deal of science. Hence, I feel entitled to call myself open-minded.
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Yes, many U.S. children who follow Islam.
    Yes, many U.S. children who follow Islam.
    So who is requiring them to read the koran in public school??
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    I've heard of some teachers doing it. I don't know how they get away with it, because it is promoting a religion just as the Bible is.

The teachers are few and far between, but still...
    Weird
    Kind of cements my view of the public school system as a place to avoid.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast