Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    The study does not appear to address student performance, but rather literary/english professors' opinions.

One of the inquiries covers the increased ease or difficulty the level of Bible familiarity contributes literature study. In general, the responses concur that there are frequent references, and that there is a relative "ease" associated with increased Bible knowledge. namely, that one need not make the additional step of researching the references. One respondent used the term "mechanical" indescribing the interpretive process that results when one does not have the familiarity.
    It is because they learn to interpert.
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jlsheldon
    I don't support teaching religon in schools. I support teaching the Bible as a literary work. I had a class just like that. It was part of my 11th grade English Honors curriculum in a public school in CA. This was 1988, and there was no outcry then. I believe that an educated person needs to understand the content of this literary piece. I don't see the harm. I don't think censorship of a piece of this significance is fair to the students. Censorship is bad, from either side.
    How would you feel if we taught the Koran, right with/alongside it?
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1

NRG: How can you walk the path of Jesus if you know nothing about him? Thus the need to understand some basic aspects of the Bible to function in (our) society.
    Jesus' concept is not too hard to grasp. Do unto others as you would have done to you.
    I was taught the Koran and Bible in that same class. I think that this would be very enlightening, especially in today's world.
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jlsheldon
    I was taught the Koran and Bible in that same class. I think that this would be very enlightening, especially in today's world.
    Great, so we will throw the rest of the world's religions in there and call the class "religion class". Welp, we are done here for the day.
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1
    Thus the need to understand some basic aspects of the Bible to function in (our) society.
    This is debatable.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    This is debatable.
    I don't think it's debatable. It's just not true. IMHO

I've lived among many different cultures (Chinese, Russian, Pakistani) and was able to function just fine without significant knowledge of their dominant religions.
    Last edited by gaffa; 06/09/2006 at 11:04 AM.
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffa
    I don't think it's debatable. It's just not true.
    Shhh. I was trying to be nice.
    Didn't you see my smiley face! lol
  10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Didn't you see my smiley face! lol
    Yep. I should have added one myself. Better late than never....
    I think Jesus would always put a smiley in his emails!
    I think the argument against teaching the Bible based on “separation of Church and State” is missing the point here. Nobody is saying that, with the exception of Christian colleges, the Bible should be presented as the Word of God but that its impact on all of Western culture, on the real heavyweights of Western literature, is so large that without a cursory knowledge of it students would be lacking a crucial part of a strong liberal education. To me, it would even more unthinkable to omit the Bible from a liberal Western education that it would to omit the Greeks or Shakespeare or even Comsky .
    The bible should be taught, but critically, not as a sacred text. When read like that the inconsistencies and logical errors are clearly aparent.

Teaching text from here. http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/

Surur
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    I recently learned of this study: Bible Literacy Report II

Here are the opening paragraphs to the Executive Summary:

The linked summary includes a listing of the respondents.

The full report is available as a .pdf

Reminds that while the Bible is often used as a sword (or hammer), it was and is still effective as a "pen."
    Jew Hater
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    I think the argument against teaching the Bible based on “separation of Church and State” is missing the point here. Nobody is saying that, with the exception of Christian colleges, the Bible should be presented as the Word of God but that its impact on all of Western culture, on the real heavyweights of Western literature, is so large that without a cursory knowledge of it students would be lacking a crucial part of a strong liberal education. To me, it would even more unthinkable to omit the Bible from a liberal Western education that it would to omit the Greeks or Shakespeare or even Comsky .
    We studied Old Testament Literature in High School, and some of the parents were upset that we were blaspheming the word of God. One of the more conservative religious mothers witheld her daughter from the class.

I forgot if the girl was in class for "the world is not flat" lesson.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    Jew Hater
    lol
    All it takes is for one child to say it's just a book of mythology, and then you've got fights breaking out. The minute an instructor tries to share some meaning behind a scripture, and if his or her interpretation isn't in synch with someones priest, pastor, reverend, etc. You have some serious conflict occuring.

Children who don't know the bible do just fine. There is no reason to bring it in. If grades are suffering, if people can't function, or are disadvantaged because they lack understanding about the bible, then it's something to be considered. But don't make it a solution looking for a problem.
    There certainly is much better literature than the Bible. It would make a great series on HBO when the Sopranos is finished.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    All it takes is for one child to say it's just a book of mythology, and then you've got fights breaking out. The minute an instructor tries to share some meaning behind a scripture, and if his or her interpretation isn't in synch with someones priest, pastor, reverend, etc. You have some serious conflict occuring.

Children who don't know the bible do just fine. There is no reason to bring it in. If grades are suffering, if people can't function, or are disadvantaged because they lack understanding about the bible, then it's something to be considered. But don't make it a solution looking for a problem.
    Of course you can, and it is Mythology, and it is taught in liturature classes all the time.

Fights also broke out when lessons were taught about the earth revolving around the sun, and then again when we found out Biology is not based on Noah's Arc.

The difference is, we used to pile stones on the blasphemers, now we just let the religious students stay home.
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    There certainly is much better literature than the Bible. It would make a great series on HBO when the Sopranos is finished.
    One could always watch the John Houston movie and get everything in 174 minutes! Granted the movie sucked. But it's all about the message right!
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast