Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Really? This guy is like a cat!! How many times have we killed him?
    exactly once.

Its not an easy job to track and kill one man in a foreign country. I congratulate our troops.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    If I were to buy into the simpleton idea of we're fighting evil terrorists in Iraq and the figurehead was killed so the rest will topple, then yes I would enjoy the moment.

Unfortunately, the reality of what's happening in Iraq has less and less to do with foreign terrorists and more to do with civil war.
    Others have compared Iraq to the dissolution of Yugoslavia, and I can't really argue that. But you can't say Zarkawi and his ilk are in it for that. We could just take the UN approach in Darfur and look the other way, but of course you'd then re-tack your sails to point out we (big bad Americans) started all this by invading Iraq in the first place. That implies the good Samaritan Saddam kept the order; so then you'd re-tack your sails again to point out we put him there in the first place.

So there's really no evil in the world besides the big old bad Americans...

So maybe the only rational response at this point is total isolationism. Pour hundreds of billions into energy independence (which WE SHOULD DO ANYWAY); grow food stocks only for the American people; SEAL (not just close) our borders; and let the rest of the world go to hell in a handbasket...

I think I'll run in 2008...
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    If you’re right, his chances of getting killed are inversely proportional to Bush and the Republican Party’s approval rating.
    Have no idea what you're referring to.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Others have compared Iraq to the dissolution of Yugoslavia, and I can't really argue that. But you can't say Zarkawi and his ilk are in it for that. We could just take the UN approach in Darfur and look the other way, but of course you'd then re-tack your sails to point out we (big bad Americans) started all this by invading Iraq in the first place. That implies the good Samaritan Saddam kept the order; so then you'd re-tack your sails again to point out we put him there in the first place.

So there's really no evil in the world besides the big old bad Americans...

So maybe the only rational response at this point is total isolationism. Pour hundreds of billions into energy independence (which WE SHOULD DO ANYWAY); grow food stocks only for the American people; SEAL (not just close) our borders; and let the rest of the world go to hell in a handbasket...

In both cases there was a strong, often oppressive, regime in power holding together the ethnic groups within boundries relatively recently & artificially drawn by an outside force. The factional violence in Iraq is NOT A SURPRISE. Bush was warned that this was a very serious possibility if we toppled the Bathists. But like anyone else that didn't fit into the neo-con self deluded daydream, these warnings were ignored and those raising them pushed out of the administration.

I've never changed my opinion on these topics.
    --Yes to invading Afghanistan for the removal of the Taliban
    --Yes to helping to rebuild Afghanistans obliterated infrastructure
    --Yes to promoting democracy in Afghanistan
    --Yes to continued UN and economic pressure on Iraq's Bathist regime
    --Yes to mainttaining the no-fly zone over the upper third of Iraq
    etc etc
    Have no idea what you're referring to.
    Ugh, do I have to explain everything?
    How was that no-fly zone thing working out, daT?
    Ugh, do I have to explain everything?
    When it's your thoughts yes. I made a promise to someone I would not use my amazing mind reading power in message boards anymore.
    Seems so well that the Kurds have had autonomous rule for a decade.
  9.    #69  
    In both cases there was a strong, often oppressive, regime in power holding together the ethnic groups within boundries relatively recently & artificially drawn by an outside force. The factional violence in Iraq is NOT A SURPRISE. Bush was warned that this was a very serious possibility if we toppled the Bathists. But like anyone else that didn't fit into the neo-con self deluded daydream, these warnings were ignored and those raising them pushed out of the administration.

I've never changed my opinion on these topics.
    --Yes to invading Afghanistan for the removal of the Taliban
    --Yes to helping to rebuild Afghanistans obliterated infrastructure
    --Yes to promoting democracy in Afghanistan
    --Yes to continued UN and economic pressure on Iraq's Bathist regime
    --Yes to mainttaining the no-fly zone over the upper third of Iraq
    etc etc
    yup to all of the above...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss

Sounds good. If they could the rest of the world would vote for you. As you know this was basically the American stance pre WW I.

Surur
    Didnt the Kurds harbour Al Queda?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Sounds good. If they could the rest of the world would vote for you. As you know this was basically the American stance pre WW I.

Surur
    What a good solution - we'd have had the United States of Ameirca, United States of Germany, and then all of the rest...
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Yep, the rest of the world would be speaking German right now then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Da
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Didnt the Kurds harbour Al Queda?
    Lol, and then spin that in to justification for overthrowing the only secular power in the region, and replacing it with Shea.
  15. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomUps
    exactly once.

Its not an easy job to track and kill one man in a foreign country. I congratulate our troops.
    You care to retract that statement? By my calculations, we have 6 deaths......scratch that...with today's news that makes 7 deaths, one shot to the chest/lung, a lost leg, and he is buried in Fallagah(sp?).
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    You care to retract that statement? By my calculations, we have 6 deaths, one shot to the chest/lung, a lost leg, and he is buried in Fallagah(sp?).
    Not at all. Show me multiple credible evidence anyone in the admistration ever claimed he was dead. Rumors and obscure web links dont count.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    nice touch of Zarqasm!
    I gotta have more cowbell
    At what cost?
    At what cost?

You tell me.
  20.    #80  
    At what cost?
    cost ??!!? cost ??!!?

what has been the cost of this alternative neocon vision.

(Lest we not remember, the no fly zone was the direct product of daddy betraying the Kurds and the shiites right after iraq war 1 -- we told Sadamm that he could use helicopters etc. to crush the shiite and Kurd uprisings !!!)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast