Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I never said I supported the guy!! I don't know why you are so defensive and angry at me.
    Not angry at you at all. Just do understand the martry label thats always thrown around when butchers like this are killed. Will there be more violence?...ofcourse. Doesn't stop me from celebrating this mans death.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    LT - there are NO BETTER spinmeisters on the planet than radical Islam. I think our highest and best principle, as a people, should be to martyr as many of those b@$^@%*$ as we can. No, we cannot kill all the bad guys; nor should we mourn the loss of a single one.

No one, in the history of mankind, has successfully defended its nation by appeasing an evil opponent in hopes that if they are nice to them, they will leave them alone. You give a rat a cookie, and he wants to take your fingers.

I defy anyone to prove otherwise.
    I think you and that other poster do not understand what I mean. It isn't him I'm worried about.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    most fitting of all, they've been replaced with 67 demons, who will behead zarqawi over and over again using blunt butter knives for all eternity. ad infinitum.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    As my name has come up ten times in this thread already, I better not disappoint by not responding. Tomups and others are rather silly in thinking I would say its a bad thing. Like others in this thread however I can only agree that its completely inconsequential. Do you not think that this man has been prepared to die for many years, and likely has a series of successors already groomed and ready to step in? Your naivity is startling. Now I never heard of Zarqawi until recently in Iraq. He is just another figure, and most of whats going on in Iraq will go on regardless of his presence or not.

Now if you want to go dancing in the street, I'm sure you will feel free to do so. Just dont bank on taking your next holiday in Bagdad soon. This has not changed anything.

Surur
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I'm not a naysayer. Do you feel good when you label?
    This is what you said...."Why would this change anything? Five Soldiers have been killed this month. Maybe this would give the president a bump in the polls. Create a new focus for speeches. "See, we're making progress!"

My point is a terrible man is dead, and immediately the attacks on Bush continue. Just for a few minutes can we celebrate the death of this animal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I think you and that other poster do not understand what I mean. It isn't him I'm worried about.
    LT I do understand, and there is nop doubt that eliminating Zarqawi will not perceptably shorten the war. What troubles me is that we cannot sit around here wringing our hands about the "consequences" of killing him, nor the fact that undoubtedly there will be revenge killings for the loss of their martyr. I stand by my comment - our objective needs to be to martyr as many of the terrorists as we can. Period.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Tomups and others are rather silly in thinking I would say its a bad thing. Like others in this thread however I can only agree that its completely inconsequential.
    But as you have said many times, you agreed with his methods. As for being inconsequential, I dont think it is to the families of the people he has killed, or to the families of the people he would have still yet to kill.
    Good point, and you are right. For the families of the people he killed this would bring some measure of comfort. I do not think it will cause less people to be killed in the future, or as dsstrauss said, shorten the war at all.

Regarding making martyrs of terrorists - I'll ignore this specific case, but in general, if martyrdom rally more people to a cause then its a bad stratergy, which is why the west have said in the past that they prefer to try people in court.

Whether that would have been the preferred route in this case is up for question, but I'm certainly not going to be mourning anyone tonight either way.

Surur
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I do not think it will cause less people to be killed in the future, or as dsstrauss said, shorten the war at all.
    Your probably right.

if martyrdom rally more people to a cause then its a bad stratergy
    Has there been proof of this ever actually happening before?
    Good question. The only one that comes immediately to mind is Jesus...

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur

Surur
    blasphemer
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I agree...Jesus is the only effective martyr I can think of too. So 1 in 2000 years. I think Im willing to take that chance on eliminating these people then.
  13.    #33  
    Barye - it's never too late: La vengeance est un plat qui se mange froid!...
    C'est vrai. C'est très vrai.

he was a vicious unredeemable piece of human scum -- any day without him is a better day than the day before.
    Last edited by BARYE; 06/08/2006 at 10:10 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    a great day for the US!
    Plus there is the added bonus that his name sounds just like Ayman al-Zawahiri who actually does have something to do with 9/11. This combined with the flag burning bill, and the gayness amendment might just be enough to confuse the simple folk this election.
    ...I do understand, and there is nop doubt that eliminating Zarqawi will not perceptably shorten the war...
    america hater
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I'm just saying expect more violence. Things like this are what fuels those people. I have no doubt this will be used as an excuse to attack Americans.

I never said I supported the guy!! I don't know why you are so defensive and angry at me. I'm only worried about what will happen next. Watch MORE fanatics pop out of the woodwork.
    terrorist lover wink
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I guess those who blame President Bush for every accusation of wrong (soldier murdering civilians, inhumane treatment of prisoners) are now giving President Bush the credit for being the one who eliminated this scumbag. Congratulations and thank you cards can be sent to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington D.C., USA.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Quote Originally Posted by TomUps
    My point is a terrible man is dead, and immediately the attacks on Bush continue. Just for a few minutes can we celebrate the death of this animal.
    I simply said what I thought the result would be. This thread was about whether or not this would matter. It wasn't a thread about celebration.

If you want to celebrate, I've no problem with that. It's a discussion forum, and you have every right to comment on what I post here. I was just curious as to what your point was? It appears that your point was to complain about me addressing the topic of this thread? Or was it to demonstrate your disdain for those who don't post items that reflect positively on our current whitehouse administration?
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    I guess those who blame President Bush for every accusation of wrong (soldier murdering civilians, inhumane treatment of prisoners) are now giving President Bush the credit for being the one who eliminated this scumbag. Congratulations and thank you cards can be sent to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington D.C., USA.
    ABSOLUTELY NOT !!!!

had that weasel eliminated Zarqawi when it would have made a difference, when Zarqawi was most vulnerable, when the Kurds begged for our help in killing Zarqawi -- then maybe you could have had an excuse to send a bouquet to 1600 Pa. Ave.

Instead that phoney pssy ssed clown stopped the Kurds. He wanted to maintain and use the lie that Zarqawi the al Quaida terrorist was being sheltered by Sadamm in Iraq as part of his strategy for inventing this calamitous war.

The unforgivable inexcusable beheading, the monstrous random butchery, the blind horrific sectarian murder -- I blame at least in part on junior.

It should never have happened -- he allowed it to happen.
    Last edited by BARYE; 06/08/2006 at 10:13 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomUps
    I agree...Jesus is the only effective martyr I can think of too. So 1 in 2000 years. I think Im willing to take that chance on eliminating these people then.
    Wouldn't people such as Martin Luther King and Gandhi qualify? They have had significant impact on the world. They both foresaw their deaths and were willing to accept that possibility in exchange for pursuing what they believed in.

How about Steven Biko? My point is, I think there are plenty of martyrs from recent history. I'm sure there are a lot more than I'll every know. Simply because their cause and their fame may be in a village, or country unfamiliar to me. Or their cause simply not sensational enough for a major news agency headline.

If Zarqawi died for his beliefs, he is a martyr. If his people choose to revere him that way. So be it. I don't care. He used an awful method to pursue his cause.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast