Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Vote likely soon on ban of same-sex marriage
    McCain, Kyl divided on call for amendment

Billy House
    Republic Washington
    Jun. 4, 2006 12:00 AM

WASHINGTON - Republicans who control the Senate plan to vote this week on amending the U.S. Constitution to prohibit same-sex marriage, a move that could boost the GOP's chances in the fall election.

Arizona Sen. Jon Kyl is a driving force behind the measure, while the state's other GOP senator, John McCain, is catching grief from some conservatives for his view that the issue is better left to the states to decide.

Debate kicks off Monday on the amendment, which would define marriage as between a man and a woman and would supersede all state laws.

But while passage is unlikely when the full Senate votes Tuesday or Wednesday, some analysts say the effort, whether it succeeds or fails, is aimed more at soothing and re-energizing the GOP's religious conservative base. Irritation is rising among those core GOP supporters over how the Republican-led Congress has handled such issues as immigration reform, the federal budget and judicial nominations.

There also is increasing anxiety over the war and the economy.

"There's no doubt about it: This is an issue that works to bring out conservative voters who tend to favor Republicans," said Mickey Carroll of the Connecticut-based Quinnipiac College Polling Institute.National pollster John Zogby agreed, adding, "This year, Republicans need something and they need something big. And this is their time-tested and true formula."...
    The Senate cannot amend the Constitution. They can only propose an amendment and then the House has to approve it also. THEN 3/4 of the states have to ratify the amendment. They can have a constitutonal convention but that is not the way a single amendment is usually handled.

You can feel pretty confident this will not happen. It is election year pandering to their base.
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    It is election year pandering to their base.
    I think Jack Cafferty said it best, but you are right on:

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Cafferty

Source: CroksandLiars.com (There is video too!)

This is all being done by the republican majority in an effort to appeal to Right-wing nuts in the Republican Party ahead of the upcoming mid-term elections. Ignore all of the pressing issues facing the country, and instead go grovel at the feet of the lunatic fringe.
    This certainly wont get anywhere
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    You know, UK has had civil union since February 2005, and the world has not ended yet.

Surur
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    You know, UK has had civil union since February 2005, and the world has not ended yet.

Surur
    god hater
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    god hater
    Who, the guy that rides around in Air Force One?
    For this move to even be considered a viable tactic, proves that we are sheeple!
    You've got to be a dullard if you are re-energized by hollow gesture.
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffa
    For this move to even be considered a viable tactic, proves that we are sheeple!
    I was looking forward to my $100 rebate for gas. :sarcasm:
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I was looking forward to my $100 rebate for gas. :sarcasm:
    Hey...I certainly could use it Pizza and beer is not cheap
    Are questioning the intelligence of the average American voter? That's why we don't give IQ tests to qualify for your voter registration card.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Hey...I certainly could use it Pizza and beer is not cheap
    Have you folks got the cheap pizza joints such as Five Star, Gumby, or Shuttle?
  13. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Are questioning the intelligence of the average American voter? That's why we don't give IQ tests to qualify for your voter registration card.
    What was the Churchill's saying, "The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter."
  14.    #14  
    Then why is it that during the exit polls last election, the users were asked what is the biggest reason why they were voting.

Gayness was number 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Just questioning the intelligence of those who buy into this hollow gesture.
    There's a long list of more important issues that need addressing.
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Then why is it that during the exit polls last election, the users were asked what is the biggest reason why they were voting.

Gayness was number 1.
    lmao, so they voted because they were happy!!!! That's a good thing!!!!!
    I don't think this is intended to energize the base like last election. I think they're throwing the religious zealots a bone that got riled up and voted last time cause they are pissed nothing ever came of it.
    Could be. Eitherway, it's a shiny object designed to distract from more important issues.
    I wonder if these people sleep with winnie-the-pooh mobiles over their beds?
  19. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Well they moved the press conference to inside rather than in the Rose Garden. Wonder Why? Maybe protesters could be heard.

This whole stunt of theirs is going to blow up in their faces. Republicans don't belong in the bedrooms and private lives of Americans.
    Last edited by NRG; 06/05/2006 at 01:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Have you folks got the cheap pizza joints such as Five Star, Gumby, or Shuttle?
    No...we just have hi-end places that not only craft their beers, but craft their pizzas
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast