Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Actually no. The more a neo-con struggles to rationalize the Iraq invasion/occupation against the face of reality the more they believe the falsehoods.
    No? I think modern science disagrees with you:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/quicksand2.htm

Your body floats on the stuff. The problem with you is that you believe everything that the media tells you. You see tarzan movies where the badguys sink into the mud so you think it must be true.
    Quote Originally Posted by LupineSpecimen1
    You ought to see that show on showtime called bullsh*t. Its basically two libertarians that debunk miscelaneous subjects. On this weeks episode they debunked this whole polling nonsense that you are going on about.
    So contention that the world is turning against America for their heavy-handed, self-interested, aggressive, psychopathic behavior is unfounded? What a relief that must be.

Surur
    You ought to see that show on showtime called bullsh*t. Its basically two libertarians that debunk miscelaneous subjects. On this weeks episode they debunked this whole polling nonsense that you are going on about.
    Oh gawd. The last refuge of the self-deluded--> "You can make polls say whatever you want".

Puleez. If polls are nonsense then tell me why this administration has been knee-jerk reacting to them? Why does Karl Rove live and breathe polls during an election?
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    So my suggestion that the world is turning against America for their heavy-handed, self-interested, aggressive, psychopathic behavior is unfounded? What a relief that must be.

Surur
    Well heres something I saw them do on that show. There was this guy on the street asking people questions, and about 10 cars drove by. One person in the car yelled out that the guy sucked (he is a well known pollster apparently.) So by that figure, is it that one in ten americans think the guy sucks?

Or how about this. I wasn't included in that poll, were you? What questions were asked in the poll? Were they loaded questions designed to gain a specific answer? Was biased information given to them prior to the poll? I don't think any poll anywhere ever has been truely scientific. In fact it isn't really possible to have a scientific poll as all of them are based on peoples oppinions, which in their nature are not scientific.

Is america against the war? Well obviously we are waging the war still, so we must not be that against it; we are a democracy afterall. But then again these polls suggest that pretty much everybody is against it.

Here's a question you should also ask yourself: Because all of my friends that I choose to associate with have a specific oppinion about the war, does that make everybody's oppinion about the war the same, even those whose friends and communities have differring oppinions?

I think the general verdict would be: who the f*ck knows.
    Oh gawd. The last refuge of the self-deluded--> "You can make polls say whatever you want".
    Is it not the truth? And what difference does the reaction of the administration make?

There is only one official poll in existence in our nation: the elections.
    No? I think modern science disagrees with you:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/quicksand2.htm

Your body floats on the stuff. The problem with you is that you believe everything that the media tells you. You see tarzan movies where the badguys sink into the mud so you think it must be true.
    Ok, not an expert on quicksand it was an analogy to the stero-type of quicksand. Please don't be so concrete. The technical aspects are quite irrelevent to the statement as you were able to get the gist enough to have your technical moment.

That being said, I'm the first to jump down someone's throat for misusing the term schizophrenic in reference to Multiple Personality Disorder (now known as Dissociative Identity Disorder).

Also, from dictionary.com:
    quick·sand Audio pronunciation of "quicksand" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kwksnd)
    n.

1. A bed of loose sand mixed with water forming a soft shifting mass that yields easily to pressure and tends to engulf any object resting on its surface.
    2. A place or situation into which entry can be swift and sudden but from which extrication can be difficult or impossible. Often used in the plural: “This theory of the future entrapped [them] in the quicksands of Vietnam” (Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr.).
    Is it not the truth? And what difference does the reaction of the administration make?

There is only one official poll in existence in our nation: the elections.
    It's just an ignorant/stubborn/stick my head in the sand response to a poll/survey which disagrees with one's personal beliefs.
    Translation:

"Actually, it's facts like this that point out our troops are getting fried."
    Sounds like our troops are guilty until proven innocent.
    Ok, not an expert on quicksand it was an analogy to the stero-type of quicksand. Please don't be so concrete.
    I know, I am just having fun

That being said, I'm the first to jump down someone's throat for misusing the term schizophrenic in reference to Multiple Personality Disorder (now known as Dissociative Identity Disorder).
    Believe me I am very much the same way, and the analogy still applies.
    Well heres something I saw them do on that show. There was this guy on the street asking people questions, and about 10 cars drove by. One person in the car yelled out that the guy sucked (he is a well known pollster apparently.) So by that figure, is it that one in ten americans think the guy sucks?

Or how about this. I wasn't included in that poll, were you? What questions were asked in the poll? Were they loaded questions designed to gain a specific answer? Was biased information given to them prior to the poll? I don't think any poll anywhere ever has been truely scientific. In fact it isn't really possible to have a scientific poll as all of them are based on peoples oppinions, which in their nature are not scientific.

Is america against the war? Well obviously we are waging the war still, so we must not be that against it; we are a democracy afterall. But then again these polls suggest that pretty much everybody is against it.

Here's a question you should also ask yourself: Because all of my friends that I choose to associate with have a specific oppinion about the war, does that make everybody's oppinion about the war the same, even those whose friends and communities have differring oppinions?

I think the general verdict would be: who the f*ck knows.
    All true, but you think the pollsters dont know this? So the pollsters are involved in a vast liberal conspiracy too? Here's the questions that goes with the graph above.

Seems pretty unbiased to me, especially if the same questions are used each time. I think you would rather hide behind uncertainty than face the reality that many many people disagree with you.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    Thats what you get for being the aggressor and launching pre-emptitive attacks.

Surur
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    It's just an ignorant/stubborn/stick my head in the sand response to a poll/survey which disagrees with one's personal beliefs.
    More of the ignororant it must be true cause the poll says so mentallity. Do you really think 90% of the dentist say Crest is the best toothpaste, you know the TV ad that says "9 out of 10 dentists we asked prefer crest"? Or, do you think that maybe they selected the particular dentist because they knew their preference. But, you go right ahead and believe that 90% of the dentists in America are crest fanboys.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    This is coming from a guy whos not to shy to post polls when they back up his own political agenda. DaTs hypocrisy has always been amazing. You team that up with the deranged beliefs of Surur and you got a pretty good twosome.
    All true, but you think the pollsters dont know this? So the pollsters are involved in a vast liberal conspiracy too? Here's the questions that goes with the graph above.
    So you are suggesting that they walked up to these guys on the street and said "Military action was..." and then people just responded with "Right decision" or "Wrong decision" at the drop of a hat? I hate to burst your bubble, but it doesn't work that way. As far as I am aware, pew conducts their polls by sending people out on the street who find random people and actually do an interview of them. They ask many questions that lead to other questions and even provide information along the way. What information was given? And what questions were asked prior to them getting to these questions?

But I don't know what you are going on about anyways. It seems to me that the majority still favor the war, if those numbers are correct, which disagrees with your oppinion as far as I can tell.

Seems pretty unbiased to me,
    'Nuff said.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    Yea, that's what I said. And if they are guilty in either case would give me a jolly? No, it would however point out that our troops are getting stretched to the breaking point by the inept leadership and pointlessness of the Iraq Invasion.

I doubt the average American will lookk at situations like this (assuming they happened) and not feel sorry for these guys and the situation they've been placed in FOR NO GOOD REASON!
    Quote Originally Posted by TomUps
    This is coming from a guy whos not to shy to post polls when they back up his own political agenda. DaTs hypocrisy has always been amazing. You team that up with the deranged beliefs of Surur and you got a pretty good twosome.
    You would have a point if I ran around saying "you can make polls say whatever you want" when presented with a survey which counters my point.

Instead, you're just babbling.
    Yea, that's what I said. And if they are guilty in either case would give me a jolly? No, it would however point out that our troops are getting stretched to the breaking point by the inept leadership and pointlessness of the Iraq Invasion.

I doubt the average American will lookk at situations like this (assuming they happened) and not feel sorry for these guys and the situation they've been placed in FOR NO GOOD REASON!
    You did say "fact", did you not?
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    More of the ignororant it must be true cause the poll says so mentallity. Do you really think 90% of the dentist say Crest is the best toothpaste, you know the TV ad that says "9 out of 10 dentists we asked prefer crest"? Or, do you think that maybe they selected the particular dentist because they knew their preference. But, you go right ahead and believe that 90% of the dentists in America are crest fanboys.
    It's an ad, I don't believe it at all.

(sigh, you guys are really off your game for it to have been such a short week)
    Thats what you get for being the aggressor and launching pre-emptitive attacks.

Surur
    How quickly they forget.
    How do you know this? Are you currently in Iraq monitoring each and every battallion?

If this were the case though, why are re-enlistment rates at an all-time high and why are desertions at an all-time low? And this isn't based on a poll either mind you. I don't know about the other four branches but the Army is pretty first rate when it comes to keeping track of their numbers. I should know as I've served in it before.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast