Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    I'm not American, I dont support your troops. I wish they would stick to defending their country, instead of invading others. They and your leaders are doing a bang-up job at besmirching whatever reputation for good your country ever had.

Iraq is slowly turning into Vietnam II from a PRPRPR $point$ $of$ $view$.

Surur
    Did you ever think America had a good reputation? Could care less what an Arab living in a Western country thinks. You are the source and definition of hypocrisy.
    Quote Originally Posted by cesium1024
    Well please, allow me to be the first to extend to you an all-American STFU.
    Ive done it for you already.

Surur
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Did you ever think America had a good reputation?
    Yes. And we will again.
  4.    #24  
    Could care less what an Arab living in a Western country thinks.
    Just didn't want this to be missed.
    Did you ever think America had a good reputation? Could care less what an Arab living in a Western country thinks. You are the source and definition of hypocrisy.

Actually, the entire world was behind us after 9-11 including invading Afghanistan. The Neo-Cons blew that.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Wow, Surur and DaThomas in the same thread. One of them supports killing children and beheading hostages to advance his political beliefs. The other admits to hating all Israelis beacuse he disagrees with their governments position on certain topics. You two should team up. It seems you have many of the same beliefs.
    What makes you think I'm an Arab? And do you think the Chinese or South Americans or Indonesians or Finns have the warm willies for America too?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Just didn't want this to be missed.
    So what - just because he is an arab doesn't mean he isn't an as$hole. If I remember correctly he is an arab living in London.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Actually, the entire world was behind us after 9-11 including invading Afghanistan

Wrong again. There were many countries that were not behind us in invading Afganistan after 9-11. There were also members of the liberal left that were against an attack in Afganistan, including one member of congress.
    Last edited by TomUps; 06/02/2006 at 03:22 PM.
    What makes you think I'm an Arab? And do you think the Chinese or South Americans or Indonesians or Finns have the warm willies for America too?

Surur
    I recall you saying previously you are an Arab Muslim living in a Western country - if you're not I hope you are not offended b/c that would make you a racist.
    You dont have to be an Arab to have a problem with America, or to identify with people being bullied.

America Against the World

Introduction: America's Image

America's leading nonpartisan pollster shows how we are different--and how our exceptionalism feeds the rise in anti-Americanism

The precipitous rise in anti-Americanism is startling. To understand why the world has turned against the United States, the Pew Research Center, under the leadership of Andrew Kohut, has undertaken an unprecedented survey of world opinion--more than 91,000 respondents in fifty nations. In America Against the World, Kohut and Bruce Stokes unveil the sobering and surprising findings.

America's image is at a low ebb: where once it was considered the champion of democracy, America is now seen as a self-absorbed, militant hyperpower. More than 70 percent of non-Americans say that the world would be improved if America faced a rival military power, and about half the citizens of Lebanon, Jordan, and Morocco think that suicide attacks on Americans in Iraq are justified.

Where does this anti-Americanism come from? Kohut and Stokes find that what pushed the world away is American exceptionalism--our individualism and our go-it-alone attitude. And it doesn't help that Americans' pervasive religiosity and deep patriotism are often exaggerated by America's critics.

Former Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright argues in her foreword that we cannot stop the spread of anti-Americanism without truly understanding who we are. America Against the World provides the insight to take that step.

Quotes

"If you've been wondering why the rest of the world often misunderstands, dislikes, and even fears the United States, this book offers convincing answers. Andrew Kohut, Bruce Stokes, and their colleagues have done impressive original research and produced truly arresting insights."
    - Doyle McManus, Washington Bureau Chief, Los Angeles Times

"At a time when America needs international support more than ever, Andrew Kohut and Bruce Stokes explain why the United States is distinct and sometimes disliked. Rather than rely on conjecture, they use international surveys to answer these critical questions. Anyone worried about America's place in the world will find new evidence and unconventional answers in this well-written book."
    - Joseph S. Nye, Jr., author of Soft Power: The Means to Success in World Politics

"By holding up two mirrors--how we Americans look to ourselves and how we look to others--Andrew Kohut and Bruce Stokes hit us with a reality full of surprises, comforting and unsettling insights, and a full meal for policymakers and the rest of us to digest or pay the consequences. Very carefully and fairly analyzed, this is a truly important book."
    - Leslie H. Gelb, president emeritus, Council on Foreign Relations

Author Biography
    Andrew Kohut is the director of the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press, the leading nonpartisan polling organization in America. He is a frequent commentator for PBS and NPR and a regular essayist for The New York Times. He lives in Washington, D.C. Bruce Stokes is the international economics columnist for National Journal and a consultant to the Pew Global Attitudes Project. A former senior fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations, he lives in Washington, D.C.
    http://pewglobal.org/americaagainsttheworld/

Surur

Why do I suspect Advance The Man is a republican?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Cognitive dissonance is like quicksand. Once you're in it, any attempt to get out sucks you down further.
    Interesting analogy, but like many people you don't really understand either of these concepts. In both situations if you just relaxe and pay attention to what is going on, you'll float your way right out of it. Struggling doesn't hurt, it just doesn't help either.
    Last edited by LupineSpecimen1; 06/02/2006 at 03:41 PM.
  14.    #34  
    Actually most republicans I know would be disgusted by what he has to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by LupineSpecimen1
    Interesting analogy, but like many people you don't really understand either of these concepts. In both situations if you just relaxe and pay attention to what is going on, you'll float your way right out of it. Struggling doesn't hurt, it just doesn't help either.
    Actually no. The more a neo-con struggles to rationalize the Iraq invasion/occupation against the face of reality the more they believe the falsehoods.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by LupineSpecimen1
    Cardio's head just blew up.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomUps
    Wrong again. There were many countries that were not behind us in invading Afganistan after 9-11. There were also members of the liberal left that were against an attack in Afganistan, including one member of congress.

We had the support of an overwhlming number of the worlds nations and the American people. It was when the Neo-Cons hijacked that jingoism to go into IIraq that that support was removed.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    We had the support of an overwhlming number of the worlds nations and the American people. It was when the Neo-Cons hijacked that jingoism to go into IIraq that that support was removed.
    It was a unique time in the history of our Nation, and the world. We could have asked for and accopmlished ANYTHING. And this is what we got.

Surur
    You ought to see that show on showtime called bullsh*t. Its basically two libertarians that debunk miscelaneous subjects. On this weeks episode they debunked this whole polling nonsense that you are going on about.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    We had the support of an overwhlming number of the worlds nations
    So your saying we actually had the worlds support when it came to defending our country. Not sure I really care what the rest of the world would have felt anyway. But what do this have to do with the topic?
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast