1.    #1  
    It's a Visor Phone!
    It's an Eye Module!
    It's a Computer!

It's **** Tracy's Wrist Computer!
    http://www.comicspage.com/dicktracy/...ristcomp1.html
    Thanks for the link. Good comic indeed!
    -Vincent
    I haven't really read "**** Tracy" for years, and I've always wondered if he had upgraded his two-way wrist telephone. Thanks!

I'd say that probably the best prediction of the PDA I can recall is in Arthur C. Clarke's "Imperial Earth," which also discusses what is effectively the Web. Very nice job there...
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by John Nowak
    I'd say that probably the best prediction of the PDA I can recall is in Arthur C. Clarke's "Imperial Earth," which also discusses what is effectively the Web. Very nice job there...
    Indeed! But don't forget Niven and Pournelle's THE MOTE IN GOD'S EYE. Their pocket computers even use styli. Not bad for 1974.
    Originally posted by Winchell

Indeed! But don't forget Niven and Pournelle's THE MOTE IN GOD'S EYE. Their pocket computers even use styli. Not bad for 1974.
    Wow -- I missed that when I read it back in 1978...

Going the other way around, Stanislaw Lem's "Solaris" has a long discussion of books being checked out of an automated library on a research station on another planet (who checked out what is important to the plot); I was halfway through the description when I realized he was talking about honest-to-gosh, bound, paper books instead of files on a server...
    Originally posted by Winchell
    But don't forget Niven and Pournelle's THE MOTE IN GOD'S EYE.
    Jerry Pournelle is a riot. I read his column at Byte.com every week. I especially love how he gives each of his computers a unique name. His Compaq Armada laptop is designated "King Armadillo", and his server is named "Princess."

He also does a streaming audio broadcast on Friday's called the Byte.com Audio Review.