1.    #1  
    how it works

I think (?) we will all agree this is a great website. The premise is you list all of the CD's you own and all of the CD's you would like to own. lala will mail out five postage paid packages with a CD shipper for each. The site is extremely intuitive. You don't have to ship if someone makes a request, you can ignore it. The same request is going out to many other members and whoever responds first is able to send that CD. Soon after you will get a notice that one of the CD's you requested is coming your way. I joined just a few days ago and have sent/received six CD's. I am getting rid of complete 1980's and 1990's crap music I don't listen to anymore. Unfortunately it is in beta right now, but you can send an email on there site to join once online in July. Also, without being a member you cannot see how intuitive this website is, it is absolutely amazing. The cost is $1.50 per CD. The postage (which is paid forby lala) is $.67/each. I still haven't quite figured out how lala is gonna make money, maybe advertising later? Regarding pirating...I'm sure many will take advantage of receiving a CD, ripping it, and 'trading' it again. I simply want to get rid of some really stale music.
  2.    #2  
    I have 8 invites if anyone is interested - liberal, conservative &/or gay. I have been getting rid of some terrible CD's and getting newer one's in their place. Great site. PM if interested with your email address.

LA Times Article on lala
    Last edited by Advance The Man; 06/02/2006 at 04:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    I have 8 invites if anyone is interested - liberal, conservative &/or gay. I have been getting rid of some terrible CD's and getting newer one's in their place. Great site. PM if interested with your email address.

LA Times Article on lala
    Can I have your Scissor Sisters cd ?!?!!?!?

(just kidding)

I'll bet Ya if this site takes off the boot heel of the RIAA will come down on it's throat. At some point, with Garth Brooks leading the charge, they wanted a % of used record sales.
    Its a cool service, but the RIAA has already made noises about it. They dont like second hand shops very much either.

Surur
  5.    #5  
    RIAA cannot do anything about it. How, I release my rights once I trade the CD. If they were successful, then I suppose it would be illegal for you and I to trade a CD. Just don't think they have a leg to stand on here. I only have a small portion of my library available - only CD's I could care less about. I understand where you're coming from with folks who will trade a CD, download it and immediately trade it for something else.

Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Its a cool service, but the RIAA has already made noises about it. They dont like second hand shops very much either.

Surur
    Let me just re-affirm that I'm all for that site. Its a great idea. There are some pretty strict laws in USA however, and a recent grokster precedent about facilitating piracy. Their ambition is to reduce new US sales of CD's by 20%. If the law is currently on the side of lala, look at it changing soon.

Surur
  7.    #7  
    Who's ambition? I think you read about how lala is giving 20% of sales to the recording artist. Grokster was a downloading site. This actually mails the CD to another person. It's the honor system that you will delete any of the songs on that CD you mailed from your itunes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Let me just re-affirm that I'm all for that site. Its a great idea. There are some pretty strict laws in USA however, and a recent grokster precedent about facilitating piracy. Their ambition is to reduce new US sales of CD's by 20%. If the law is currently on the side of lala, look at it changing soon.

Surur