1.    #1  
    In recent weeks there have been growing rumblings of testimony by Libby and others that implicate Cheney in the misdeeds associated with the Palme investigation.

A week or so ago it was reported that the Grand Jury had examined Cheney's handwritten comments on Ambassador Wilson's article criticizing the Niger nuke fiction.

Libby, Cheney's former chief aide, has for months been rumored to be attempting to escape prosecution by using Cheney as the reason for what he said and did. (believing that the VP can declassify, reveal CIA agents etc., at will).

What if Rove has struck a deal to testify against Cheney??

Truthout -- a respected liberal blog -- is reporting that they have sources that cause them to believe that:

"Rove may be turning state's evidence. We suspect that the scope of Fitzgerald's investigation may have broadened - clearly to Cheney - and according to one "off the record source" to individuals and events not directly related to the outing of CIA operative Valerie Plame. We believe that the indictment which does exist against Karl Rove is sealed. Finally, we believe that there is currently a great deal of activity in the Plame investigation. "

My recollection of the Spiro Agnew fiasco was that a Vice President was indictable without first requiring an impeachment by congress.

I have long feared that Cheney will resign and be replaced by Rice.

If these rumors are true, it could potentially happen before the November election.

(Though I almost never use a blog as a reference, this story has been gaining traction at least in part because of the respected reputation of the article's author: Jason Leopold, who had previously been the Los Angeles bureau chief for Dow Jones Newswires)

Notes Are Said to Reveal Close Cheney Interest in a Critic of Iraq Policy
    By David Johnston NY Times
    Sunday 14 May 2006

Washington - Vice President **** Cheney made handwritten notations on a July 2003 newspaper column that indicate he was focused on a critic of the administration's Iraq policy, according to a court filing in the C.I.A. leak case.

Mr. Cheney's notes were cited in a prosecution brief in the case against the vice president's former chief of staff, I. Lewis Libby Jr. The entries were made on a copy of an Op-Ed article by Joseph C. Wilson IV, a former ambassador, that was published in The New York Times on July 6, 2003. The leak case involves the disclosure that Mr. Wilson's wife, Valerie, was a C.I.A. officer.

"Those annotations support the proposition that publication of the Wilson Op-Ed acutely focused the attention of the vice president and the defendant - his chief of staff - on Mr. Wilson, on the assertions made in his article, and on responding to those assertions," said the legal papers filed Friday by Patrick J. Fitzgerald, the special counsel in the case...
    Last edited by BARYE; 05/22/2006 at 08:25 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    anyone can be indicted, not sure he will be or has done anything to warrant any action...
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    anyone can be indicted, not sure he will be or has done anything to warrant any action...
    Oh, I am sure there is something, just a matter of proving it. There would be no reason to lie to a GJ, unless there is something to cover up for. But, this is why we have investagations.

"And what we have when someone charges obstruction of justice, the umpire gets sand thrown in his eyes. He's trying to figure what happened, and somebody blocked their view. As you sit here now, if you're asking me what his motives were, I can't tell you; we haven't charged it. So what you were saying is the harm in an obstruction investigation is it prevents us from making the fine judgments we want to make." - Patrick Fitzgerald