1.    #1  
    Over in the Nimby thread started by clairegrll, we went OT in an OT thread about why we couldn't reach energy independence. I'm going to quote myself (major faux pax, and apologies to Perry Holden) but this is a topic that deserves a more wide spread discussion:

Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    ...we are on the verge of energy bankruptcy in America. It will take a real energy "Manhattan Project" to get us through the first half of this century, and with China/India/rest of third world development exploding, there just will not be enough fossil fuels to go around at any price. When governments (like China and India) compete in the purchase of these fuels, what hope do average consumers, at the direct mercy of international oil & gas companies, of ever competing.

It's time for BUSH & CONGRESS to take the high road. Nor more empty rhetoric. Someone needs to pull a JFK (and I DON'T mean KERRY) here, and point us to the moon! By the end of the next decade, America will be energy independent.

"Can't be done" is all you'll hear. How preposterous can that be. In 1940, who with any knowledge of the state of technology even DREAM we could build the bomb, much less split the atom itself? A mere 66 years after the first powered flight, man landed on the moon.

It will take an interim course of even more fossil fuel exploration, but the focus has to be on a huge focused program like building a nuclear bomb in four years, and going to the moon in 9. I support Bush (as others on this OT forum know) but how many hundreds of billions of dollars have we wasted in Iraq? The entire cost of the Apollo moon landing program was $24.5 B (inflation adjusted, that's $139.5 B today); so we've already blown a moon landing (or 7) - could that have been energy independence?
    To top it all off, last night on O'Reilly (ohhh, I hear knashing of teeth out there) **** Morris called for EXACTLY what I was harping on above, a new "Manhattan Project" for renewable energy independence. Remember, O'Reilly does have a major burr under his saddle about Big Oil these days.

What say you....
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    There are many many ways to generate energy sustainable, but which would require a huge sunk cost in infra-structure (e.g. solar towers, huge installation of wind mills, solar furnaces, huge banks of solar cells etc etc) Unfortunately the cost of the electricity they generate includes the cost of paying back the capital costs. Unfortunately the cost we pay for oil does not include all the external costs such as e.g. Iraq.

Instead of a huge Manhattan project, how about subsidizing the solutions we have already?

Surur
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    ...Instead of a huge Manhattan project, how about subsidizing the solutions we have already?

Surur
    No, I feel we need to move beyond 20th century energy technology, and it DESERVES the resources we'd have to invest. Remember, ALL of the major wars in history are attributable to territorial, population, food, or energy needs. The U.S. has significant territorial resources, but the other three are beginning to strain beyond relief. A reliable new energy horizon, free of external disruptions, will go a long way towards resolving the other concerns. I have NO IDEA what they may come up with - call it Pollyanaism at its worst - but which just pointed to the moon and said we're going to go there when he had barely been able to lift a man off the planet. The world had only discovered radioactivity for the briefest of time before we split the atom an unleashed Armageddon.

There is no reason this country should not put its head down and dig into this problem in the same way we conquered those lofty goals.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    No, I feel we need to move beyond 20th century energy technology, and it DESERVES the resources we'd have to invest. Remember, ALL of the major wars in history are attributable to territorial, population, food, or energy needs. The U.S. has significant territorial resources, but the other three are beginning to strain beyond relief. A reliable new energy horizon, free of external disruptions, will go a long way towards resolving the other concerns. I have NO IDEA what they may come up with - call it Pollyanaism at its worst - but which just pointed to the moon and said we're going to go there when he had barely been able to lift a man off the planet. The world had only discovered radioactivity for the briefest of time before we split the atom an unleashed Armageddon.

There is no reason this country should not put its head down and dig into this problem in the same way we conquered those lofty goals.
    Man...why is it that when I'm in the OT threads I feel like I'm sitting with the cool kids at the back of the school bus? And in this reality, they all have pocket protectors, thick lenses in their glasses....and tend to vote Republican.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Man...why is it that when I'm in the OT threads I feel like I'm sitting with the cool kids at the back of the school bus? And in this reality, they all have pocket protectors, thick lenses in their glasses....and tend to vote Republican.
    actually, Haggar this is the South Central part of Treocentral -- the inhabitants only seem friendly. Don't come back without a self righteous attitude and a rusty knife ...
    Last edited by BARYE; 05/22/2006 at 12:50 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    actually, Haggar this is the South Central part of Treocentral -- the inhabitants only seem friendly. Don't come back without a self righteous attitude and a rusty knife ...
    Talk about attitude....