Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    What's that old saw about NOT biting the hand that feeds you.... Good luck serving the Linux crowd from now on Symantec...
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    This is a bit off-topic, but I have decided to stay with XP Pro for another year. I don't really feel like going through the "download update every month" thing again. And I suspect it might be that way with Vista, considering all the problems it seems to be having even before it's released. I may even move to Mac while Vista works out all it's bugs, which could take another 2 years. Am I making a mistake?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    This is a bit off-topic, but I have decided to stay with XP Pro for another year. I don't really feel like going through the "download update every month" thing again. And I suspect it might be that way with Vista, considering all the problems it seems to be having even before it's released. I may even move to Mac while Vista works out all it's bugs, which could take another 2 years. Am I making a mistake?
    You're still alive - where you been? BTW - how can you be "off topic" in an Off Topic thread?

It will be a good long time before I, and our office, move to Vista. First off, it looks like the biggest resource hog yet, and our experience means computer replacements rather than upgrades, so that nixes it for now. Besides, it's supposedly so different from XP that I'm afraid of the 1.0 vodoo. Besides, what makes you think you'll get away with only ONE download per month...
    Micro$oft makes its money from selling us the same software over and over again.

From what I can see, there is no compelling reason to upgrade from Micro$oft Office XP to Office 2003. I also think Microsoft agrees otherwise the ads in print and on TV would show those compelling reasons instead of people in dinosaur hats.

As for the operating systems, Micro$oft keeps re-writing them from the ground up. Each new OS team must think that it better than the last, but it is exactly this process that causes all the delays and problems.

As a professional developer I have to keep up, but I certainly do not agree with the latest and greatest in just about any software, especially Mirco$oft's.
    Hi D! I came back after the 700p FINALLY got announced! I wasn't surprised about it, I knew it was coming sooner or later, just thought maybe June. It's most of what the 650 should have been, except for maybe the high speed(I don't think there was a lot of EVDO in 2004). Now we GSM users have to see if they will release anything for us. I have too many phones already though, LOL! And my 650 wants me to keep it, it's being very nice and has never crashed yet.

Back to MSFT. What about Vista for office use? It looks like it's all for entertainment, another reason to stay with XP Pro. No Vista Pro?

I'm seriously looking at the portable MacBook for under $2000, it's a bargain for a Mac!

I'm seriously looking at the portable MacBook for under $2000, it's a bargain for a Mac!
    You mean the 15" MacBook Pro ($1999) or the 13.3" MacBook ($1099 or $1499 for black)?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Move to Mac...you won't look back!
    I was looking at the little MacBook for portability. I like bigger screens too, I was just thinking portable. The bigger ones are probably more usable though.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet

I actually have an old one. The dual software(same programs, different OS) cost was killing me though. Although I think I still have some of it, if it works on Tiger, I could kiss Windows good-bye for a while. The one problem though, how in the world can I sync up my PPC stuff?Guess I'd better keep a PC around.
    I actually have an old one. The dual software(same programs, different OS) cost was killing me though. Although I think I still have some of it, if it works on Tiger, I could kiss Windows good-bye for a while. The one problem though, how in the world can I sync up my PPC stuff?Guess I'd better keep a PC around.
    Easy...dual boot.
    I was looking at the little MacBook for portability. I like bigger screens too, I was just thinking portable. The bigger ones are probably more usable though.
    The black one looks sweet! I prefer the polycarbonate shell over the aluminum on the Pro's, more durable. I may end up getting one, instead of the MB Pro.

Go now...buy the MacBook.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    Ronald vs. The King
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    good stuff
    ...okay, that's just weird.

Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    I've...uh...never seen a better...um...reason for switching from a PC to Mac?
    claire - whoa girl, that is spooky. I think the King is creepy to begin with (those commercial almost gross you out) but this one...hmmmmmm.
    Hi D! I came back after the 700p FINALLY got announced! I wasn't surprised about it, I knew it was coming sooner or later, just thought maybe June. It's most of what the 650 should have been, except for maybe the high speed(I don't think there was a lot of EVDO in 2004). Now we GSM users have to see if they will release anything for us. I have too many phones already though, LOL! And my 650 wants me to keep it, it's being very nice and has never crashed yet.

Back to MSFT. What about Vista for office use? It looks like it's all for entertainment, another reason to stay with XP Pro. No Vista Pro?

Glad you're back (see you're still on the anti-avatar kick). I probably would have jumped the Intel ship a long time ago, but the nearest Apple dealer is 130 miles away (makes service a dog - no offense Dutch).

On the phone front, my local dealer (who at least reads TC ) is convinced the HTC Star Trek and Samsung i320 will be coming to Cingular. I'm not a fan of static screens, but the keyboard in the i320 would make up for that, and the Razr thin HTC flip phone would be sooooooo pocketable. I feel and expensive fall coming on.
    But aren't the new Apples Intel? Go figure! I went down there today and they say yes you can dual boot if you download Boot Camp and partition the hard drive.
  19.    #20  
    Vista won't run unless you bought your machine within the last 12 months. To use it all its features as a minimum , it needs a 128 MB video card which, unless you are an avid gamer, you probably won't have in an older box.

To me, it never makes sense to upgrade an OS. No one in the history of the computing has ever gotten better performance out of an upgraded OS. We first saw this when moving to Windows 95 gave one a 40% performance penalty on the same hardware. The same scenario has played out with every OS "downgrade" since. A newer MS OS will always run substantially slower on the same hardware. Best saving your money and buying a new box or doing a major hardware upgrade to your old box.

Here's our corporate min. req'ts for each OS

Win2k - Pentium 600 / 256 MB / 64 MB vid card
    WinXP - Pentium 2 GHz / 1024 MB / 256 MB vid card
    Vista - Pentium 3.6 GHz / 2048 MB / 512 MB vid card*

* The last is a draft based upon published reviews, we won't finalize until we do actual testing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast