Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Vista won't run unless you bought your machine within the last 12 months. To use it all its features as a minimum , it needs a 128 MB video card which, unless you are an avid gamer, you probably won't have in an older box.

To me, it never makes sense to upgrade an OS. No one in the history of the computing has ever gotten better performance out of an upgraded OS. We first saw this when moving to Windows 95 gave one a 40% performance penalty on the same hardware. The same scenario has played out with every OS "downgrade" since. A newer MS OS will always run substantially slower on the same hardware. Best saving your money and buying a new box or doing a major hardware upgrade to your old box.

Here's our corporate min. req'ts for each OS

Win2k - Pentium 600 / 256 MB / 64 MB vid card
    WinXP - Pentium 2 GHz / 1024 MB / 256 MB vid card
    Vista - Pentium 3.6 GHz / 2048 MB / 512 MB vid card*

* The last is a draft based upon published reviews, we won't finalize until we do actual testing.

MAC OSX.4 ran much faster for me on my first ppc mac mini and ibook than 10.3 (panther).
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    To me, it never makes sense to upgrade an OS. No one in the history of the computing has ever gotten better performance out of an upgraded OS. We first saw this when moving to Windows 95 gave one a 40% performance penalty on the same hardware. The same scenario has played out with every OS "downgrade" since. A newer MS OS will always run substantially slower on the same hardware. Best saving your money and buying a new box or doing a major hardware upgrade to your old box.
    General sale software providers tend to abandon older OS. Barely anything runs on 95 anymore. 98 is almost being dropped. The starting point is now XP. How long before they make Vista the starting point? Hopefully not for at least 2 years, but it WILL happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    General sale software providers tend to abandon older OS. Barely anything runs on 95 anymore. 98 is almost being dropped. The starting point is now XP. How long before they make Vista the starting point? Hopefully not for at least 2 years, but it WILL happen.
    I'd bet good money that Vista won't become the starting point fo five years. XP is entrenched in corporate America (and the household) and Vista is not going to offer as much of a bump as XP did over 98SE. There are even a lot of Windows 2000 installs out there still. Given that Vista will not make it for this year's Christmas sales, it will only further solidify XP for the foreseeable future.

Besides, what do you care; we know you've only got eyes for Apple.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12