Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31
  1.    #1  
    I can't get out there for a few hours, but wanted to get the ball rolling. Be acritic, cynic, or whatever, but let the feathers fly...

    Sure hope they didn't water down the book too much. The ending should be the telling point.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I can't get out there for a few hours, but wanted to get the ball rolling. Be acritic, cynic, or whatever, but let the feathers fly...

    Sure hope they didn't water down the book too much. The ending should be the telling point.
    Never read the book and won't see the movie, but Tom Hanks' hair scares me.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    ... but Tom Hanks' hair scares me.
    Check out your own avitar sometime
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  4. #4  
    Personally i think it looks quite good, havnt read the book but like any book made into a movie, the book will be better.
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

    Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Check out your own avitar sometime

  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    I wouldn't grin - you bear an uncanny resemblance to the actor playing Silas -


    Last edited by dstrauss; 05/19/2006 at 05:17 PM.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I wouldn't grin - you bear an uncanny resemblance to the actor playing Silas -

    No Way!!! Look at the eyebrows
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  8. kvcobra's Avatar
    Posts
    446 Posts
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    #8  
    I read the book and thought it was very good. Of course, you have to keep in mind it's a novel, which by definition means it's fictional.

    Haven't seen the movie. Read a review which said it was all whiz-bang action (from having to pack everything into 2.5 hours) and lacked the intrigue and (relative) believability of the book. Based on my knowledge of the book, I find that very easy to believe.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

    Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    No Way!!! Look at the eyebrows
    Naw - you're being TOO LITERAL. Overcome your prejudices and see they are very similar (save teh dark eyebrows and nose ring) - it's in that menacing stare...besides, Bettany had an eyebrow job to keep the albino look
    Last edited by dstrauss; 05/19/2006 at 05:34 PM.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by kvcobra
    I read the book and thought it was very good. Of course, you have to keep in mind it's a novel, which by definition means it's fictional.

    Haven't seen the movie. Read a review which said it was all whiz-bang action (from having to pack everything into 2.5 hours) and lacked the intrigue and (relative) believability of the book. Based on my knowledge of the book, I find that very easy to believe.
    I read earlier today that the original concept by Howard et al was for a TV series much like 24 - an episode would cover 1-2 hours in the actual book, but that Brown blocked it so it finally ended up with Sony as movie rights.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    - it's in that menacing stare..
    "Menacing stare"?!?!? No wonder my come-hither look never works.

  12. kvcobra's Avatar
    Posts
    446 Posts
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    read earlier today that the original concept by Howard et al was for a TV series much like 24 - an episode would cover 1-2 hours in the actual book, but that Brown blocked it so it finally ended up with Sony as movie rights.
    Now that sounds like a much more suitable vehicle. I guess the concern was that it would wind up running additional seasons that have little to do with the book?

    To take an OT thread OT a bit, I never got into 24, partly because it annoyed the heck out of me that, given the show's concept, it ran a second season without changing the name to 48, or at least 24: Day 2. Is it just me?
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

    Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Never read the book and won't see the movie, but Tom Hanks' hair scares me.
    Ding ding ding ding ding. We agree on something. Although I think I will read the book some time. I hear it's good. The movie? Not so much.
  14. z3bum's Avatar
    Posts
    717 Posts
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    #14  
    I read the book, and while the theories are far fetched and perhaps to some, offensive, it is a great read. The movie is being done by Ron Howard, and most of his movies have been great. The cast is excelent and the story takes place in one of my favorite cities. With all that, how can you go wrong?
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum
    I read the book, and while the theories are far fetched and perhaps to some, offensive, it is a great read. The movie is being done by Ron Howard, and most of his movies have been great. The cast is excelent and the story takes place in one of my favorite cities. With all that, how can you go wrong?
    Apparently (and this is hearsay) they were so careful to preserve the book they made a crappy movie.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Ding ding ding ding ding. We agree on something. Although I think I will read the book some time. I hear it's good. The movie? Not so much.


    Have a good weekend, I'm out!
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas


    Have a good weekend, I'm out!
    Don't forget to comb your hair!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum
    I read the book, and while the theories are far fetched and perhaps to some, offensive, it is a great read. The movie is being done by Ron Howard, and most of his movies have been great. The cast is excelent and the story takes place in one of my favorite cities. With all that, how can you go wrong?
    It is a great read, but the theories...? I'm going to be interested in seeing the comparisons to National Treasure. For those of you who have not read The Da Vinci Code or seen the movie yet, I'll hold those thoughts until Monday...
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  19. #19  
    1 It is fiction. Remember that please.
    2 Anytime you go to a movie based on a book you have to expect it will not fully replicate the book. It is just a different medium and the two do not meld well.
    3 I saw the movie and had not read the book. The movie is very impressive in style and content. It was well done in those senses.
    4 Why is it a surprise that critics would not like it. They call them CRITICS for a reason. Critics are like newspaper columnists. They hate the vast majority of the things they write about to generate readership/viewers. This is Journalism 101 nto rocket science.
    5 Opie is enjoying the press he is getting with al the critics panning the movie.
    6 The churches which are openly objecting to the movie are just creating a lot of free advertising for the moive. If they were smart they would ignore it and not talk about it.
    7 Did I say it was fiction?? Just thought it was worth reminding again.
  20. Hicks's Avatar
    Posts
    936 Posts
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    #20  
    I've read the book; it is a good read, but I thought the ending was a bit flat IMHO. I've yet to see the film though.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

    Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

    Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions