1.    #1  
    Senate OKs Higher Fines for Indecency on Television
    By Jim Puzzanghera, Times Staff Writer
    May 19, 2006

WASHINGTON Crossing the line on TV may soon cost a lot more.

The Senate late Thursday unanimously approved a tenfold increase in broadcast indecency fines boosting the maximum penalty to $325,000 per violation.

The Broadcast Decency Enforcement Act, sponsored by Sen. Sam Brownback (R-Kan.), passed with little notice in a nearly empty chamber after an unusual parliamentary maneuver by Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.) that assured approval unless any senator objected.

Frist's procedural tactic broke a months-long logjam. Brownback's bill must be reconciled with a House measure before heading to the White House, where President Bush has vowed to sign legislation cracking down on indecent programming.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Senate OKs Higher Fines for Indecency on Television
    By Jim Puzzanghera, Times Staff Writer
    May 19, 2006

WASHINGTON Crossing the line on TV may soon cost a lot more.

The Senate late Thursday unanimously approved a tenfold increase in broadcast indecency fines boosting the maximum penalty to $325,000 per violation.

The Broadcast Decency Enforcement Act, sponsored by Sen. Sam Brownback (R-Kan.), passed with little notice in a nearly empty chamber after an unusual parliamentary maneuver by Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.) that assured approval unless any senator objected.

Frist's procedural tactic broke a months-long logjam. Brownback's bill must be reconciled with a House measure before heading to the White House, where President Bush has vowed to sign legislation cracking down on indecent programming.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    as long as they don't catch up with us here...
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    as long as they don't catch up with us here...
    THAT just cost you $325,000.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I guess that means no more political speeches allowed.
  6.    #6  
    Raises the question of who will be in charge of deciding which television shows are indecent.

Perhaps we need a Department for the Preservation of Virtue and Prevention of Vice.

Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I don't think many would have a hard time with understanding that many young children watch TV until 9:00 at night. Keep it suitable for the family, if you want more go rent videos. If you think it is acceptable to have nudity/explicit profanity/sexuality on TV for your 7 year old, blockbuster.com is always open.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    I don't think many would have a hard time with understanding that many young children watch TV until 9:00 at night. Keep it suitable for the family, if you want more go rent videos. If you think it is acceptable to have nudity/explicit profanity/sexuality on TV for your 7 year old, blockbuster.com is always open.
    Ohh, my simple friend. I think the question was, who gets to decide what "suitible for the family" means.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    THAT just cost you $325,000.
    I remember back in the mid 70's we were not even allowed to use the term ***** on air.
    Heck, I remember when my parents wouldn't let us watch some shows and made us go to bed at a reasonable hour.
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
    Ohh, my simple friend. I think the question was, who gets to decide what "suitible for the family" means.
    Families do. Fines generally result from complaints received from the viewing public. If we don't call, there will likely be no penalty.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    Families do. Fines generally result from complaints received from the viewing public. If we don't call, there will likely be no penalty.
    Ah, I see. It's not a government department of virtue but we who decide.

Do you have the phone number? I find Sean Hannity indecent.
    Ah, I see. It's not a government department of virtue but we who decide.

Do you have the phone number? I find Sean Hannity indecent.
    It doesn't surprise me that someone of your ilk would want to censor the media. The end of the "Fairness Doctrine" was a major blow to the left wing in this country.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    It doesn't surprise me that someone of your ilk would want to censor the media. The end of the "Fairness Doctrine" was a major blow to the left wing in this country.
    my ilk?, lol, wow

in any event, i think you missed the irony in the post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    This is TOO funny. Look at the people supporting larger fines for "indecency" on TV (aka censorship): Bush, Brownback, Frist, etc. Unless I'm mistaken, these are all conservative republicans. So how is it that you accuse the left wing of desiring censorship?

You're one confused puppy, aren't you?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.