1.    #1  
    WASHINGTON - The U.S. House narrowly preserved a decades-old ban on offshore drilling late Thursday night.

So much for energy independence

Story
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Sad in a way, but not unexpected. There is a tremendous "not in my backyard" mentality in America. It's okay if it's barren West Texas (or Bakersfield CA which looks geographically the same), but not where we bring tourists (sorry Miss Colorado, but I grew up in Colorado Springs, and it's the same there). In a way, I can understand that attitude.

However, we are on the verge of energy bankruptcy in America. It will take a real energy "Manhattan Project" to get us through the first half of this century, and with China/India/rest of third world development exploding, there just will not be enough fossil fuels to go around at any price. When governments (like China and India) compete in the purchase of these fuels, what hope do average consumers, at the direct mercy of international oil & gas companies, of ever competing.

It's time for BUSH & CONGRESS to take the high road. Nor more empty rhetoric. Someone needs to pull a JFK (and I DON'T mean KERRY) here, and point us to the moon! By the end of the next decade, America will be energy independent.

"Can't be done" is all you'll hear. How preposterous can that be. In 1940, who with any knowledge of the state of technology even DREAM we could build the bomb, much less split the atom itself? A mere 66 years after the first powered flight, man landed on the moon.

It will take an interim course of even more fossil fuel exploration, but the focus has to be on a huge focused program like building a nuclear bomb in four years, and going to the moon in 9. I support Bush (as others on this OT forum know) but how many hundreds of billions of dollars have we wasted in Iraq? The entire cost of the Apollo moon landing program was $24.5 B (inflation adjusted, that's $139.5 B today); so we've already blown a moon landing (or 7) - could that have been energy independence?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    ... I support Bush (as others on this OT forum know) but how many hundreds of billions of dollars have we wasted in Iraq?...
    stunning acknowledgment.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    It never ceases to amaze me that alternatives like the Corbin Sparrow die, Lib Clooney's 80 grand electric Tango car (I'd love one when it gets down to 14 grand), and other alternatives have such a hard time getting off the ground. Zap can't get D/Chrysler to let it import new Smart cars, they are working on getting a Brazillian Obvio flex-fuel car into the US- but it is not here yet. There are cool alternatives... but we just now are getting hybrids (that still need gas) to go a tiny bit mainstream.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    stunning acknowledgment.
    What's the problem - can't a conservative have a brain?
    Drilling can absolutely be done tastefully, which is why this is such disappointment. I've been down to Galveston and seen a few rigs way off in the distance, but it isn't like you're sharing the beach with roughnecks laying out drillpipe. Oh well.

On another note, imagine if this vote had gone the other direction, how everyone would be crying about a Bush family conspiracy to destroy the nation's environment. Jeb and George conspiring to help out the oil and gas companies at the expense of little fishies. Something doesn't surprise me, though, about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Drilling can absolutely be done tastefully, which is why this is such disappointment. I've been down to Galveston and seen a few rigs way off in the distance, but it isn't like you're sharing the beach with roughnecks laying out drillpipe. Oh well.

On another note, imagine if this vote had gone the other direction, how everyone would be crying about a Bush family conspiracy to destroy the nation's environment. Jeb and George conspiring to help out the oil and gas companies at the expense of little fishies. Something doesn't surprise me, though, about it.
    Weirdest thing of all is that Jeb is the STAUNCHEST opponent of the drilling. He knows who butters his bread in Florida.
    We should have named this thread better, because it desrves more exposure. Last night, on O'Reilly (ohhh, I hear knashing of teeth out there) **** Morris called for EXACTLY what I was harping on above, a new "Manhattan Project" for renewable energy independence.
    Weirdest thing of all is that Jeb is the STAUNCHEST opponent of the drilling. He knows who butters his bread in Florida.
    Hahahah, politics can be so funny some times.
  10.    #10  
    We should have named this thread better....
    What's this WE...you can start any thread you want. I happened to have started this one.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    What's this WE...you can start any thread you want. I happened to have started this one.
    SOOOOOOORRRRRRRRYYYYYYYY.
    A little territorial this morning, aren't WE.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Oil drilling platforms in Long Beach harbor.