Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    U.N. Panel Backs Closing Prison at Guantánamo

By JOHN O'NEIL
    Published: May 19, 2006
    A United Nations panel on torture called on the United States today to close the detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba and expressed concern over reports of secret detention centers and of a practice of sending terror suspects to countries with poor human rights records.

In the report, issued by the Committee on Torture in Geneva, the panel said that the United States should clearly ban interrogation techniques like "water boarding," in which an inmate is held under water to create the fear of drowning; sexual humiliation, and the use of dogs to induce fear. It said that detainees had died during interrogation involving improper techniques...
    Last edited by theBlaze74; 05/19/2006 at 09:05 AM.
    The U.N. is a failure, and it's time to dissolve that money sucking waste of time and energy.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  3.    #3  
    Plus, they keep messing up all our conquering and torturing.
    They've done a great job in the Sudan, Iran and N Korea. And let's not forget Somalia, Bosina and Rwanda. And my all time favorite...Oil For Fraud
  5.    #5  
    Just by you say, doesnt make it so
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Maybe because the Humanitarian Committee want to keep that exclusive right of blundering and torturing all to themselves and do not want to share!
  8.    #8  
    Exactly. How dare they. It's our god given right to torture.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    This must be a UN approved prison

http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtri...881944443.html

"Terror inmates stay connected, call mom by cell phone

Kenitra Central Prison is one of the highest security facilities in Morocco. But leading Al Qaida inmates get to call their wives and mothers every day — not to mention their terrorist commanders.

How do they do it? Simple. Moroccan prison guards are too scared to enter jail cells to look for stashes of cell phones."

Looks like the joke posting from NRG (I think) about mothers day phone calls being tracked was not that far off.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    This must be a UN approved prison

http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtri...881944443.html

"Terror inmates stay connected, call mom by cell phone

Kenitra Central Prison is one of the highest security facilities in Morocco. But leading Al Qaida inmates get to call their wives and mothers every day — not to mention their terrorist commanders.

How do they do it? Simple. Moroccan prison guards are too scared to enter jail cells to look for stashes of cell phones."

Looks like the joke posting from NRG (I think) about mothers day phone calls being tracked was not that far off.
    The U.N. panel on torture called for the closing of that prision too?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I bet the inhumane torture, is that the Al Qaida members are required to pay roaming charges on the calls they make

Sorry, just don't have a whole lot of sympathy for terrorist.
    No they didnt. You've never met a fact you didnt try and distort.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    No they didnt. You've never met a fact you didnt try and distort.
    I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt and maybe he saw it in the full UN report, it seems he is pretty well connected with them.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    What torture? At Guantanamo? What I miss.
    Sorry, just don't have a whole lot of sympathy for terrorist.
    That's exactly the problem with gitmo. No one was ever tried openly of any charges.
    The U.N. is a failure, and it's time to dissolve that money sucking waste of time and energy.

I'm curious. Is it the UN or the concept of a UN that you object to?
    The UN is actually one place you can speak french without actually going to france. Does that make it good??
    The UN is actually one place you can speak french without actually going to france. Does that make it good??
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    That's exactly the problem with gitmo. No one was ever tried openly of any charges.
    My post was in reference to the prison in Morocco and the reply from Blaze on the UN wanting to close that one also. But, are you in favor for military trials for the suspects at Gitmo?
    My post was in reference to the prison in Morocco and the reply from Blaze on the UN wanting to close that one also. But, are you in favor for military trials for the suspects at Gitmo?

Excuse my comment then.

Off the top of my head, I would be in favor of the gitmo prisoners being charged publicly with something and given a speedy trial. Whether a military trial would be acceptable I'm not sure of the details.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast