Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
       #1  
    Grammy-winning singer Sarah McLachlan performs her socially conscious song, "World on Fire," from the CD Afterglow.

    After brainstorming different ideas for the music video, Sarah says her director approached
    her with a groundbreaking idea. Instead of the usual $150,000 or more that it takes to produce
    a music video, Sarah created the entire "World on Fire" video herself for just $15.

    Then, she spent the left over money to help more than 1 million women and children around the world.

    In the video, Sarah spells out exactly how the donated money was spent.

    http://www.worldonfire.ca/
    Last edited by NRG; 05/18/2006 at 06:21 PM.
  2. #2  
    Isnt it nice to see somebody actually do something
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  3. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Isnt it nice to see somebody actually do something
    Very much so.
  4. #4  
    I saw her at Lilith Fair in Denver with my Mom and some of her friends. I thought she was so kewel. I was only 14, it was in 1999. I still like her music. She hasnt done much in a long time
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  5. #5  
    No(w) that is a positive action for a celebrity to take to make a difference. She didn't just go on talk shows expressing (or pushing) her views on the public, she did what she believed in to (demonstate) it to the public.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 05/19/2006 at 06:22 PM.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    No that is a positive action from a celebrity to take to make a difference.....
    What are you saying "No" to??
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    What are you saying "No" to??
    allow me to translate for mr. hobbes:

    "Note that is a positive action by a celebrity to make a difference. She didn't just go on talk shows expressing (or pushing) her views on the public, she did what she believed in, to demonstrate it to the public."

    (mon amour -- did you read my most recent missive ???)
    Last edited by BARYE; 05/19/2006 at 12:21 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  8. #8  
    thanks Barye... ..I have got to stop talking on the phone while typing posts!
  9. #9  
    Most typos involve one letter....not leaving off two
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Most typos involve one letter....not leaving off two
    i read is a "now" that is . . . .
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    i read is a "now" that is . . . .
    Depends on what the meaning of is is.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  12. #12  
    We didn't have money for health care for everyone.
    We didn't have enough money for schools.
    We didn't have enought to feed everyone.

    But we have over $282,000,000,000 for war.
  13. #13  
    One thing the video left out was how much it would cost to provide birth control and family planning education to the third world. I'll bet that would be equally inexpensive as some of the other social and medical services advertized in the video. Many of the problems expressed in the video could be avoided if birth control were practiced more often.

    Flame retardant suit: ON. Fire away.
  14. #14  
    I'm a big fan of her's and think that video is really great - although it's like 2-years old.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmeister
    One thing the video left out was how much it would cost to provide birth control and family planning education to the third world. I'll bet that would be equally inexpensive as some of the other social and medical services advertized in the video. Many of the problems expressed in the video could be avoided if birth control were practiced more often.

    Flame retardant suit: ON. Fire away.
    I agree with you

    the 3rd world would in general be in much better shape now had the west invested first in education in general -- and then in health care together with family planning, birth control

    instead money was first put into infant survival, which caused disruptive, unsustainable population explosions when families that had traditionally had 12 births to get 2 healthy adults -- began to have 12 births and 8 or 10 heathly adults

    an educated healthy population would have naturally evolved to more sustainable family sizes, put less pressure on the land, and lead to less famine and less poverty.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    I agree with you

    the 3rd world would in general be in much better shape now had the west invested first in education in general -- and then in health care together with family planning, birth control

    instead money was first put into infant survival, which caused disruptive, unsustainable population explosions when families that had traditionally had 12 births to get 2 healthy adults -- began to have 12 births and 8 or 10 heathly adults

    an educated healthy population would have naturally evolved to more sustainable family sizes, put less pressure on the land, and lead to less famine and less poverty.
    Barye, like elliptical orbits crossing paths every million years, I knew we'd see eye to eye one day

    Yes, foreign policy in the name of aid is one of the biggest scams ever perpetrated upon the third world by the US. Just looks at the massive flooding of weapons in the hands of violent thugs which is virtually unstoppable. And major drug companies getting to unload outdated and obsolete pharmaceuticals there as well. At least you can go to Africa and buy a pack of Marlboros for the equivalent of a quarter, though...
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmeister
    Barye, like elliptical orbits crossing paths every million years, I knew we'd see eye to eye one day

    Yes, foreign policy in the name of aid is one of the biggest scams ever perpetrated upon the third world by the US. Just looks at the massive flooding of weapons in the hands of violent thugs which is virtually unstoppable. And major drug companies getting to unload outdated and obsolete pharmaceuticals there as well. At least you can go to Africa and buy a pack of Marlboros for the equivalent of a quarter, though...
    The infusion of cheap arms was a byproduct of the idiotic cold war proxy competition that used the 3rd world as a play toy -- indifferent to its effect on the people there.

    big foreign aid projects have usually had bad outcomes -- western hubris would usually ignore local knowledge and culture and attempt to impose its own ideas -- then crush those societies with unpayable debt for these failed projects.

    Infant mortality assistance was also done by NGOs (often religiously affiliated) -- who saw that a relatively small investment in assistance would have a huge and immediate effect.

    One of the primary causes of our problem with Hispanic migration has been the unsustainable population explosion that has further impoverished the peasantry of Mexico and Central America.

    The Mexican population has (I think) tripled in the last 60 years -- the result of the general improvement of overall health, and in particular the rapid decline in its infant mortality.

    There has not though been a similar, commensurate lowering of birth rates (and ironically, the rightist groups in america have actively worked to oppose efforts to lower Mexican birth rates.)
    Last edited by BARYE; 05/23/2006 at 01:57 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  18. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
       #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    I'm a big fan of her's and think that video is really great - although it's like 2-years old.
    Is the video 2 years old, or is the song 2 years old? Agreed it is a great video no matter of the age.
  19. #19  
    First saw the video shortly after the song was released. I agree it's a very good video, regardless of age. It's still relevant.
  20. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
       #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    First saw the video shortly after the song was released. I agree it's a very good video, regardless of age. It's still relevant.
    Thanks for the clarification Marky.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions