Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Interesting article how students are using Treo like devices, iPods, their laptops, etc., to cheat.....and getting caught!

Colleges Chase as Cheats Shift to Higher Tech
    I'm for banning electronic devices in elementary and high schools.
    Isn't New York banning them? I can't see what valuable purpose they serve in class?

College, cheat all you want. However I'd make a final exam worth at least 40% of your grade, and on that day, all devices would be banned. That way you just can't pass if you don't know your stuff.
    Playing devil's advocate:

1) If an electronic device gives you such an advantage, just what the heck are the exams testing in the first place? How about a history exam which asks for analysis of the facts and student opinions, not a fill-in the blank. People will have access to Google in the real world.

2) Anticipate the use of electronic devices and design the test to be more difficult with that in mind. In essence, level the playing field.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    With my Treo 700p, there will be very few exams I couldn't pass. Basically I could have all texts and notes indexed for quick recall. Anything I missed I'd just pull off the internet.

There are open book exams. That's because professors know that if you aren't familiar with the material, you'll burn all of your time looking it up. With electronic aid, the time factor is much smaller.

But don't forget, I can use Verichat and have a pool of people helping me in realtime. I don't think a history test or statistics exam should be about your google skills. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny

1) If an electronic device gives you such an advantage, just what the heck are the exams testing in the first place? How about a history exam which asks for analysis of the facts and student opinions, not a fill-in the blank. People will have access to Google in the real world.

2) Anticipate the use of electronic devices and design the test to be more difficult with that in mind. In essence, level the playing field.
    This would require a lot of effort for teachers to actually teach. Not gonna happen...
    I'm more concerned about this at lower grade levels. Those teachers don't have aids to help them subjective analysis. On math exams, it's easy. A lot of teachers have asked that you show your work in your answer. But basically you want to eliminate multiple choice, and like I stated, I could still get verbose explanations via real-time collaboration. Think about how great it would be if we could use Treos on game shows!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffa
    I'm more concerned about this at lower grade levels. Those teachers don't have aids to help them subjective analysis. On math exams, it's easy. A lot of teachers have asked that you show your work in your answer. But basically you want to eliminate multiple choice, and like I stated, I could still get verbose explanations via real-time collaboration. Think about how great it would be if we could use Treos on game shows!!!
    Now they're just being silly. If I'm proctoring a history essay exam, no one should be using electronic devices of any kind. If you're getting verbose explanations, you're already doing something suspicious by:
    a) typing the question
    b) staring at the screen of your Treo while you write.
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    This would require a lot of effort for teachers to actually teach. Not gonna happen...
    Now they're just being silly. If I'm proctoring a history essay exam, no one should be using electronic devices of any kind. If you're getting verbose explanations, you're already doing something suspicious by:
    a) typing the question
    b) staring at the screen of your Treo while you write.
    If I'm online with someone, I don't have to type the question, just take a picture of it!

At the collegate level, there can be several hundred in a class. Tough to tell how they're using it. That's why I say, ban all devices.
    Makes me laugh, before treos etc it was on the back of your hand, on a ruler etc. Now the times have changed so have the methods.
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
  11.    #11  
    Just wait until they download the information in their bio-memory chips installed in their heads that shows the answers only to them thru their VRD (bio-Virtual-reality-Retina-Display)!!!!!

Virtual Retinal Display (VRD) Technology

A Retinal Display for Virtual-Environment Applications
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 05/18/2006 at 12:38 PM.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Procters should consider using cellphone jammers in exam rooms.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Just wait until they download the information in their bio-memory chips installed in their heads that shows the answers only to them thru their bio-virtual-reality-retina-display!!!!!
    That's soooo 2004.
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffa
    If I'm online with someone, I don't have to type the question, just take a picture of it!

At the collegate level, there can be several hundred in a class. Tough to tell how they're using it. That's why I say, ban all devices.
    Good point. Then it goes back to either make the exam harder or ban the damn thing for certain types of exams.
  15.    #15  
    That's soooo 2004.
    Actually that is soooo 1998.......

Virtual Retinal Display Wins 1998 Discover Magazine Technological Innovation Award

Besides teleporting and warp drive, have we pretty much nailed all of the Star Trek science down?
  17.    #17  
    Soon they will have to watch for students resting their heads on their hands so that they can stick their fingers in their ears during a test too:

Whisper....Stick It In Your Ear!!!!!

This is the only solution. It really doesn't matter how people get information. It's how they comprehend it that should matter. I have no problem with using technology as it advances. I remember my mother always saying "What if calculators aren't around" Well....that has never happened, calculators are still here and more powerfull than ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    I'm glad you don't think teachers teach.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    I'm glad you don't think teachers teach.
    I don't mean all teachers dont teach. In fact most of them are more than happy to dictate data and then require students to regurgitate it.

I guess a better way to put would be that not many inspire students to learn.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast