Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    I don't mean all teachers dont teach. In fact most of them are more than happy to dictate data and then require students to regurgitate it.

I guess a better way to put would be that not many inspire students to learn.
    I have taught High School/Jr High Students and at a private college.......that is the difference between have a job as a teacher and being a Teacher.
    I don't mean all teachers dont teach. In fact most of them are more than happy to dictate data and then require students to regurgitate it.

I guess a better way to put would be that not many inspire students to learn.
    So, do parents inspire them?
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    So, do parents inspire them?
    Not all of them... no. Would this be criteria used to select which kids the teachers inspire, or simply a lame a** excuse?
    Last edited by sxtg; 05/19/2006 at 08:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I have taught High School/Jr High Students and at a private college.......that is the difference between have a job as a teacher and being a Teacher.
    Correct. That is what I meant.

John, do you happen to have a job as a teacher?
    Last edited by sxtg; 05/19/2006 at 08:45 AM.
    Correct. That is what I meant.

John, do you happen to have a job as a teacher?
    No, but I am in education as an Instructional Technology Coordinator. I have two kids, one in high school and the other in 5th grade.

And yourself?
    3 Kids. Of all my teachers K-12 and a few years of college, I can only remember 2 of them that actually taught and encouraged learning.
    Calculators are required in science and math so banning electronics doesn't work there. As for the cheating, SMS would be the biggest avenue I would imagine. A few smiles by the cheerleader type at the nerd and she passes .
    I think cheating can be quite valuable to a college campus. It identifies those that don't deserve to be there. Rigorous monitoring combined with instant, no questions asked, permanent expulsion with an associated black list for schools to check their applicants against, would not only stop most cheating, but expose the losers who continue to cheat and prevent them from bettering their place in society.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    I think cheating can be quite valuable to a college campus. It identifies those that don't deserve to be there.....
    I assume you mean like Ward Churchill
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    I think cheating can be quite valuable to a college campus. It identifies those that don't deserve to be there. Rigorous monitoring combined with instant, no questions asked, permanent expulsion with an associated black list for schools to check their applicants against, would not only stop most cheating, but expose the losers who continue to cheat and prevent them from bettering their place in society.
    Yes but what about corruption and room for error by the accusing party? Not to mention that society itself will expose the weakness. The degree or any tool for that matter, really doesn't gaurantee sucess. It's how the tools are applied that determine the outcome.
    As to cheating in game shows....

My wife was on Wheel of Fortune, taped in Vegas. They had to surrender all such electronic devices at the start of the day of taping (of 5 shows in one day). I did not know which of the 5 shows she was going to be on, and had to sit through them all. They had guards with them the whole day, and if anyone talked to them, they would be disqualified with a substitute contestant ready to take their place. Someone who knew a contestant saw their friend in the ladies room, and tried to talk to them. They were told that if they were acknowledged they'd be off the show. My wife walked by me during a break and I couldn't make eye contact.

Why? Well, I think they are trying to be real carefull. What if I had heard someone affiliated with the show say something about a puzzle in the coffee shop, then I could have told her. They do not want any more game show scandals.

They also did not want such electronic devices in the audience, we were screened when we went in.

I'm sure we are at a point where exam rooms must be searched and made tech-free in colleges as well.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Not to mention that society itself will expose the weakness. The degree or any tool for that matter, really doesn't gaurantee sucess. It's how the tools are applied that determine the outcome.
    But presumably the cheater's rump is occupying a chair that a worthy individual could put to much better use.
    For More Info: From Wikepedia...

"The biggest $100,000 miss since the inception of the mini-wheel was featured on a memorable episode (February 18,2005) from Las Vegas. Nora Keenan from Annapolis, MD won $60,150 (all cash) including a record $54,000 from the final spin/speed-up round. The bonus puzzle was a PHRASE and this is what she got:

_ _ _ L I T _ / T I M E

She had a chance but she couldn't come up with "QUALITY/TIME". The audience let out a big gasp when they saw she lost the grand prize. She was so close to winning an all-time solo player record of $160,150."

But hey, 60 grand is not bad !
    If anyone asks you what "The value of Quality Time" is... you can tell them "Exactly $100,000!"

Will the Treo 900 P have a time machine feature, so I can go back and tell her the answer? Or would that be cheating?

NoraWheelClap.bmp
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by duanedude1; 05/19/2006 at 11:55 AM.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    But presumably the cheater's rump is occupying a chair that a worthy individual could put to much better use.
    True. It might be different since I went, but the colege I went to wasn't sold out.
    Had a poli sci teacher that said we could use one 3x5 cards. I put all my notes in word, scaled it down to 3pt and had the entire semester on one card. that was a fun argument. I won, based on the "letter of the law" not the intent. smoked the final too
    Nik<hr>M100 --->M125 --->M500 --->Treo300 --->Sprint-Treo600 --->Sprint-Treo650
    <hr>
    Rom 8:31 <'><
    <marquee bgcolor=red width=150 height=5>
    1 in 150 babies born today will have some form of Autism
    </marquee>
    Unlocking Autism Mission Trips to Honduras My Space
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12