Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Federal Source to ABC News: We Know Who You're Calling

"Brian Ross and Richard Esposito Report:

A senior federal law enforcement official tells ABC News the government is tracking the phone numbers we (Brian Ross and Richard Esposito) call in an effort to root out confidential sources.

"It's time for you to get some new cell phones, quick," the source told us in an in-person conversation." ...

This is fawking scary. Will 60% of Americans agree with this?
    daaaaamnnnnnnnn....

That's scary, even to me.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Unfortunatly the dullards won't get it. They'll just say, hey, "if you've nothing to hide, then don't worry."

Saying "National Security" is not a free pass to do whatever you want.
    People used to use "Communism" as an excuse to impede on the rights of citizens.
    And you know what, society was all-right with that! For a while at least.
    What - not tracking O'Reilly and Hannity?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    its frightening to imagine what other hidden horrors still wait to be uncovered.

This junta has had 6 years without independent congressional supervision.

No hearings have investigated their trampling of civil liberties, their venality, or their incompetency.

Can they let a free and fair election bring a new congress to washington ??
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Well the problem is that a lot of people want the Govt. to track and stop terrorism.
    They don't want their family and friends pulverized by another 9-11. That means they don't care if the Govt. gets a court order to tap phones with foreign terrorists. In fact, they expect it. If the feds didn't... we'd hear more cries of "you could have stopped it and didn't- you incompetant ***". Of course, how is the Govt to know that someone in this country is in a terrorist cell and calling al-Q and the like to even get the court order? Well, if NSa or the CIA track who is calling who, not recording what is said, just what number is calling what number, then they can begin to see patterns of foreign calling, and perhaps get the order so they can legally tap the actual conversation.

I assume these reporters called people overseas... that could be a red flag to at least give their calls attention. It is not that they are reporters, it is that they are anyone calling outside the US. They could be terrorists... how is the fed to know?

By the way- Al-Jazerra is considered "journalists" and even had a skybox at the Republican Convention, yet their ties to terorism is scary. Could they have snuck a rifle into their studio equipment and snipered the prez? As someone who went in and out of the press area at Madison Square Garden... there was tight security, but I am not convinced a well-crafted plot couldn't have been hatched. Protestors got in with Press ID's.

The problem with all the alarms going off about privacy is that few give other workable alternatives. If you don't track what numbers are calling what numbers, something even a private company has access to, how do you determine who to track/monitor/whatever? If there was a better way to do it, the Gov't could save lots of manpower, computer power, money, bad publicity, and aggrivation. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by duanedude1; 05/15/2006 at 03:21 PM.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Is this to find out who illegally leaked National Security information to the press.
    Perhaps they are tracking phone calls to see how much investigative journalism these people are using before they regurgitate and propagate sensationalist reports such as "people eating each other" in New Orleans after 3 days. They may need to track online usage as well to see what Blogs these reporters are plagarizing so as to have a head start in finding the truth.
    <<A senior federal law enforcement official>>

(who.... someone with an axe to grind? Someone having a "Senior Moment?)

<<tells ABC News the government is tracking the phone numbers we (Brian Ross and Richard Esposito) call in an effort to root out confidential sources.>>

Hmm... not only does this unknown source know that it is being done (like any underling carrying out the order would)... but they also presume to know the intent or motive for it, which is something that should be in the mind of the one ordering it... I'd be more concerned about an unknown person who can read minds than someone who can merely tap what I actually say on the phone... that is scary!

and finally...

<<"It's time for you to get some new cell phones, quick," the source told us in an in-person conversation." ...>>

Are we sure this isn't somebody trying to up their commission on selling the new Treo 700P?
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    "Oh noes, noes!!!111_oneone We tried once to create chaos and outrage about the NSA call monitoring so lets step it up a notch and make it appear as if they are now using this information to harass and/or monitor 'poor, innocent, honest' reporters. We must slam the Bush administration for every facet and despite the glaring approval of the system we still must attempt to seed doubt and stife, after all, we have an agenda."

Another attempt by the liberal agenda driven media to drum up hate. I wonder what the next political platform will be? Did someone say homeland security and *gasp* *cough cough* *gasp* the terrible air quality and global warming.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1
    Well the problem is that a lot of people want the Govt. to track and stop terrorism.
    They don't want their family and friends pulverized by another 9-11. That means they don't care if the Govt. gets a court order to tap phones with foreign terrorists. In fact, they expect it. If the feds didn't... we'd hear more cries of "you could have stopped it and didn't- you incompetant ***". Of course, how is the Govt to know that someone in this country is in a terrorist cell and calling al-Q and the like to even get the court order? Well, if NSa or the CIA track who is calling who, not recording what is said, just what number is calling what number, then they can begin to see patterns of foreign calling, and perhaps get the order so they can legally tap the actual conversation.

I assume these reporters called people overseas... that could be a red flag to at least give their calls attention. It is not that they are reporters, it is that they are anyone calling outside the US. They could be terrorists... how is the fed to know?

By the way- Al-Jazerra is considered "journalists" and even had a skybox at the Republican Convention, yet their ties to terorism is scary. Could they have snuck a rifle into their studio equipment and snipered the prez? As someone who went in and out of the press area at Madison Square Garden... there was tight security, but I am not convinced a well-crafted plot couldn't have been hatched. Protestors got in with Press ID's.

The problem with all the alarms going off about privacy is that few give other workable alternatives. If you don't track what numbers are calling what numbers, something even a private company has access to, how do you determine who to track/monitor/whatever? If there was a better way to do it, the Gov't could save lots of manpower, computer power, money, bad publicity, and aggrivation. Any suggestions?

I'm glad you eventually read the article.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by cesium1024
    "Oh noes, noes!!!111_oneone We tried once to create chaos and outrage about the NSA call monitoring so lets step it up a notch and make it appear as if they are now using this information to harass and/or monitor 'poor, innocent, honest' reporters. We must slam the Bush administration for every facet and despite the glaring approval of the system we still must attempt to seed doubt and stife, after all, we have an agenda."

Another attempt by the liberal agenda driven media to drum up hate. I wonder what the next political platform will be? Did someone say homeland security and *gasp* *cough cough* *gasp* the terrible air quality and global warming.
    (hands cesium a brown shirt)
    Whew, I almost missed that one. I was bringing up a new mail server and switching ISPs due to carnivore. The SMS transition time wasn't bad either, hands down to Sprint, they were able to give me a new number and ESN rather quickly. Thanks for posting this thread without it the NSA may have very well "st0l3ded my megahurts!!1!11__oneone11eoneone". Give me about 5 minutes before you reply so I can rinse-repeat again.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Hmmmm, wonder why DaT did not include this in the OP?

"Other sources have told us that phone calls and contacts by reporters for ABC News, along with the New York Times and the Washington Post, are being examined as part of a widespread CIA leak investigation."

"The official who warned ABC News said there was no indication our phones were being tapped so the content of the conversation could be recorded.

A pattern of phone calls from a reporter, however, could provide valuable clues for leak investigators."

Oh I guess because it kinda desensationalizes (is that a word?) the story. The gov't might actually be conducting an investigation into alleged leaks of information (maybe illegal activities). BTW, there is no mention of this being done with or without a warrent.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Hmmmm, wonder why DaT did not include this in the OP?

"Other sources have told us that phone calls and contacts by reporters for ABC News, along with the New York Times and the Washington Post, are being examined as part of a widespread CIA leak investigation."

"The official who warned ABC News said there was no indication our phones were being tapped so the content of the conversation could be recorded.

A pattern of phone calls from a reporter, however, could provide valuable clues for leak investigators."

Oh I guess because it kinda desensationalizes (is that a word?) the story. The gov't might actually be conducting an investigation into alleged leaks of information (maybe illegal activities). BTW, there is no mention of this being done with or without a warrent.

Oh come on. I posted the first couple of paragraphs and fawking LINKED TO IT. Give me a break.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Oh come on. I posted the first couple of paragraphs and fawking LINKED TO IT. Give me a break.
    Oh, and by the way, it is from a Blog.
  17.    #17  
    Oh, and by the way, it is from a Blog.
    The reporter's blog on ABCNEWS.com.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    The reporter's blog on ABCNEWS.com.
    That is what I said a Blog. Why did they not report it as a story for the media?
  19.    #19  
    That is what I said a Blog. Why did they not report it as a story for the media?
    Perhaps they don't want to appear like they're using their news position to help themselves but are willing rather to make the statement and allow other journalists to evaluate the story and report it which appears to be exactly what is happening.

Why are you trying desperately to attack this story?
    the nightly broadcast hasn't begun yet ...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast