Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 130
  1. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Perhaps they don't want to appear like they're using their news position to help themselves but are willing rather to make the statement and allow other journalists to evaluate the story and report it which appears to be exactly what is happening.

    Why are you trying desperately to attack this story?
    Not attacking it, as one long time radio journalist likes to say "now, the rest of the story".
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  2. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    the nightly broadcast hasn't begun yet ...
    Oh, so they don't use any of the readily available internet media outlets but instead rely on Blogs? You are right, I forgot it was ABC.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  3.    #23  
    Snark <---- The last refuge for lack of facts.
  4. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Snark <---- The last refuge for lack of facts.
    I know, I was kinda surprised that you posted info from a blog and expected it to be accepted, even as liberal media fact. You were trying to pull a blaze on us. At least the blogger admits that the conversations did not appear to be wiretaps just monitoring phone numbers (maybe international?).
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  5. #25  
    I am a long time fan of ABC News. Even before Peter Jennings, Frank Reynolds held my respect. If they are not reporting it as fact (not on a blog), perhaps they did not have a second source to confirm the story. Or the "source" wasn't high enough to go it alone.
    Perhaps this is a shot across the CIA's bow... "We know what you're doing"
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

    "To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-


  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    I know, I was kinda surprised that you posted info from a blog and expected it to be accepted, even as liberal media fact. You were trying to pull a blaze on us. At least the blogger admits that the conversations did not appear to be wiretaps just monitoring phone numbers (maybe international?).
    I NEVER quote blogs. But in this case it is THE reporter's blog on the ABCNEWS site.

    No one stated the gov't was using wiretaps either with the FISA court's approval or around it illegally.

    The point of this is one week the gov't states they don't do monitoring wothout a court order then we find out they are. Then we are told billions of phone calls are being analyzed but only for our SAFETY, then we find out reporters records are being analyzed to assist the administration with political in-fighting.

    Someone let me know when the conservative party returns.
  7. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    I NEVER quote blogs. But in this case it is THE reporter's blog on the ABCNEWS site.

    No one stated the gov't was using wiretaps either with the FISA court's approval or around it illegally.

    The point of this is one week the gov't states they don't do monitoring wothout a court order then we find out they are. Then we are told billions of phone calls are being analyzed but only for our SAFETY, then we find out reporters records are being analyzed to assist the administration with political in-fighting.

    Someone let me know when the conservative party returns.
    A blog is a blog. Actually IMO, a blog with the headings this one has could very well be less credible. I see it as individuals utilizing a national news source to hype or lend credibility to their blog.

    Are phone calls being analyzed, I take that to mean they are recorded, listened to and determinations are being made from the conversation. IF the reporters phone records are being analyzed to assist the gov't in determining who committed a crime (leak of gov't information) with proper warrents is there a problem?
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Perhaps they don't want to appear like they're using their news position to help themselves but are willing rather to make the statement and allow other journalists to evaluate the story and report it which appears to be exactly what is happening.

    Why are you trying desperately to attack this story?

    Because that's exactly what it is - A STORY, from a blog no less....give US A break
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    A blog is a blog. Actually IMO, a blog with the headings this one has could very well be less credible. I see it as individuals utilizing a national news source to hype or lend credibility to their blog.

    Are phone calls being analyzed, I take that to mean they are recorded, listened to and determinations are being made from the conversation. IF the reporters phone records are being analyzed to assist the gov't in determining who committed a crime (leak of gov't information) with proper warrents is there a problem?

    There's a problem if a whistle blower is not being afforded the confidentiality it took for them to come forward by the gov't invading a reporter's private phone records.
  10. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    There's a problem if a whistle blower is not being afforded the confidentiality it took for them to come forward by the gov't invading a reporter's private phone records.
    Agreed if a whistle blower came forward, then there is no story. Not that difficult to follow the rules for whistle blower and protect yourself. But a whistle blower does not go to the media, they follow the protocol. Me thinks someone wants a little more notice around the office cooler so they wrote a story in their Blog, if wrong I will apologize.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  11. #31  
    Again... how would you have the Govt track people in the US who call Al-Q...?
    "Everybody Palm!"

    Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
  12. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1
    Again... how would you have the Govt track people in the US who call Al-Q...?
    This seems to be Domestic to Domestic.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Agreed if a whistle blower came forward, then there is no story. Not that difficult to follow the rules for whistle blower and protect yourself. But a whistle blower does not go to the media, they follow the protocol. Me thinks someone wants a little more notice around the office cooler so they wrote a story in their Blog, if wrong I will apologize.
    No. A whistle blower goes to the media when the internal protocol can not be trusted.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    This seems to be Domestic to Domestic.
    Exactly!

    And worse it smells of infighting. Never a good sign.
  15. #35  
    After the Valarie Plain / Joe Wilson debacle, it's obvious that whistle blowing laws don't
    help. Years after the outing of Valarie, no one has been punished except for her and Joe. I would think, you'd be in mega-trouble with this because they would just say that by coming forward, you jeopardized national security. Then they'd find all types of trivial laws to find you in violation of.

    What baffles me here, is that everyone is acting like the bad guys don't know that phones are being monitored? And remember, all bets are off if the person you contact is a 'suspected' memeber. Once I have a conversation with a 'suspected' terrorist, does that now make me a suspected member? And now everyone I talk to becomes 'suspected?'

    I really wouldn't be surprised if the next story to break is about your mail being monitored. Afterall, why isn't snail-mail just as good or better of a forum than telephone? Sure it's slower, but right now the perception is that it isn't monitored or read.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1
    Again... how would you have the Govt track people in the US who call Al-Q...?
    Informants, Infiltration, Analysis. There are many tools to use. I myself am all for monitoring phone calls, logging, etc. I just want a court order to allow it, and in that order, you have to demonstrate that my activities are suspicious, not just one person that I call. And I want a time limit on that monitoring. I just want a method of check and balance in place. If this administration really wanted to protect my freedom, they would have been working on putting checks and processes like this in place instead of trying to privatize social security.
  17. #37  
    Way to go dat, cite a blog and ignore the most important statement in it!

    "The FBI will take logical investigative steps to determine if a criminal act was committed by a government employee by the unauthorized release of classified information," the statement said.

  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Way to go dat, cite a blog and ignore the most important statement in it!

    "The FBI will take logical investigative steps to determine if a criminal act was committed by a government employee by the unauthorized release of classified information," the statement said.

    are you saying that it would be alright with you if one of purposes for which they are using this massive collection of information on us, would be to investigate leaks to the media ??

    Wasn't this only supposed to be used to protect us from the next Bin Laden terrorist attack ??

    Would it next be ok for them to use this database to determine my secret location, to track me down ?? (rhetorical question -- no need to answer it...)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  19. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    This seems to be Domestic to Domestic.
    ??? People in US calling Al-Q is domestic to domestic, when did we annex the Afghan provinces or Syria or Pakistan?
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  20. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffa
    Informants, Infiltration, Analysis. There are many tools to use. I myself am all for monitoring phone calls, logging, etc. I just want a court order to allow it, and in that order, you have to demonstrate that my activities are suspicious, not just one person that I call. And I want a time limit on that monitoring. I just want a method of check and balance in place. If this administration really wanted to protect my freedom, they would have been working on putting checks and processes like this in place instead of trying to privatize social security.
    Do you think that someone would put up on their blog that they were being placed under court ordered surveilance? This information is on a blog, the indiviudals want to look like victims not possible criminals.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions