1.    #1  
    EU lawmaker says US pressured media on torture
    Thu May 11, 2006 8:46 PM ET

By Saul Hudson and David Morgan

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A member of the European Parliament said on Thursday that the White House has pressured journalists not to name certain European countries in their reports about CIA detention practices on the continent.

Claudio Fava of Italy, charged with writing a European Parliament committee report on possible secret CIA prisons and detainee transfers in Europe, did not identify the journalists, newspapers or television networks he said had been pressured.

"We think that the detailed confirmation we have of pressure being exerted by the White House on journalists not to name certain European countries is an extremely important point for our work," said Fava, who was visiting Washington as part of a 13-member delegation from the European Parliament, the European Union's legislature.

Administration officials were not immediately available for comment.

Speaking at a news conference, Fava did not say why he believed the Bush administration would want to stop media outlets from identifying European countries and he provided no further details.

The Washington Post reported last November that the CIA had run secret prisons for al Qaeda suspects in Eastern Europe. The campaign group Human Rights Watch later identified Poland and Romania as likely hosts on the basis of flight records showing CIA planes using local air strips.

Both countries have denied the claim. But the report has stirred outrage across Europe and spawned a number of investigations, including the European Parliament's, which have yet to unearth anything definitive.

'NO COMMENTS'

The European delegation, which is due to wrap up its week-long visit to Washington on Friday, also complained about being stonewalled by Bush administration officials and shunned by Republican members of Congress.

"There was an exorbitant number of 'no comments,'" Fava said earlier on Thursday, after an hour-long meeting with senior State Department officials.

"But we are going to go back to Europe with valuable information, and we do consider that even a 'no comment' can be construed as providing valuable information."

He likened the U.S. approach to a soccer player who starts a match with a violent foul, saying the Americans set a tone of noncooperation by stating from the outset the visitors had no jurisdiction over the U.S. government.

King George the 1st thinks he has the right to do anything he wants to, just because he wants to. Laws and the Constitution mean nothing to the King, because he IS the law. And, as King, he doesn't have to answer to anyone.

I just wonder if he's delusional enough to refuse to leave the White House after the next election.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    King George the 1st thinks he has the right to do anything he wants to, just because he wants to. Laws and the Constitution mean nothing to the King, because he IS the law. And, as King, he doesn't have to answer to anyone.

I just wonder if he's delusional enough to refuse to leave the White House after the next election.
    Americans have come to believe their freedom is a permanent state. When people take their freedom for granted, it is most in peril. Is it not possible, with all we now know about the character of Bill Clinton, that he would attempt to turn such a crisis into a semi-permanent presidency -- one with imperial powers? And, with all we know about the character of the spineless Congress, is it unthinkable to imagine its members abdicating their authority and collaborating in such an insidious scheme?

Am I being paranoid? I don't think so. After all, it's not me who is raising the ugly specter of martial law in the context of the Y2K crisis. It is the United States government -- first in a public meeting between representatives of the legislative and executive branches and now in a public summit convened by the president's Y2K czar. This is not a hallucination, folks. It's reality. Hearings are being conducted. Plans are being made.
    Joseph Farah, WorldNetDaily, 12/8/1998

Clinton has almost two more years as President. His unprecedented grab for new powers by a blitz of executive orders is in awesome tandem with his other power grabs through phony "peacekeeping" expeditions, bombing of four sovereign countries, plans to create a "Homelands Defense Command" to use the Army for domestic law enforcement, monitoring of our bank accounts, and databasing of our health records.
    Phyllis Schlafly, 4/19/1996

My how things have changed.
    Last edited by hoovs; 05/11/2006 at 10:38 PM.
  4.    #4  
    lol, he's so mad lately ...

hoovs, you just posted a quote from a conservative complaining about clinton bombing al quaida, and planning to carry out the rest of Richard Clark's reccommendations including the creation of the Department of Homeland Security

plans that Clarke was asking to discuss with the president since he took office

a discussion that was denied until after September 11, 2001

furthermore, attempting to paint Clinton as an imperialist is simply silly

but most importantly of all, this is a story about secret torture camps ... Bill Clinton is not torturing anybody, because ....

Bill Clinton is not the President
    Its called irony, Blaze, and you missed it.
    He missed it totally, though you should not be surprised. People like that miss everything they do not want to see or are afraid to see. He does not even know we are in a war. What a pity. Ben
    Outstanding....ANOTHER BLAZE SPASM...Blaze, have you considered finding gainfull employment to fill your empty days with??

The US should build more secret prisons on foriegn soil and fill them up with the worthless and dangerous dregs of world societies....

Chuck
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    Its called irony, Blaze, and you missed it.
    LOL
    Is that ironic in itself??
  9.    #9  
    lol, the final 29% percent has become so angry, and yet only one response that comes close to having any bearing on the issue at hand
    Quote Originally Posted by chckhbrt
    The US should build more secret prisons on foriegn soil and fill them up with the worthless and dangerous dregs of world societies....
    Don't we have to conquer the world before riding it of "worthless and dangerous dregs of world societies"?

Also I'm pretty sure most prisions have corresponding courts.
    Quote:
    Don't we have to conquer the world before riding it of "worthless and dangerous dregs of world societies"?

No...

I say build the secret prisons on foriegn soil first, fill the numerous secret prisons up with worthless and dangerous dregs of world societies.

Then go conquer the world....

It makes world conquering much easier. Prolly could get the world conquering job done in say, 89 days.

Does this reply further your dislike of the USA and Republicans in general?

Chuck....
  11.    #11  
    I say build the secret prisons on foriegn soil first, fill the numerous secret prisons up with worthless and dangerous dregs of world societies.

Then go conquer the world....

It makes world conquering much easier. Prolly could get the world conquering job done in say, 89 days.
    I dont know if that's going to happen Chuck, it looks as if Imperialism has fallen out of fashion.
    Does this reply further your dislike of the USA and Republicans in general?
    Soon the entire world will get back to loving the United States. Republicans not quite so much.
    Quote:
    I dont know if that's going to happen Chuck, it looks as if Imperialism has fallen out of fashion.

Well blaze, I guess you, as a good Devilcrat will see to the demise of imperialism....

But we should build the secret prisons anyway, just in case they are need....

BTW...My trouble free Sprint/T650 is doing just fine....

Your Fidel Castro anti America threads are extremely entertaining and they haven't busted my Treo yet....

Chuck
  13.    #13  
    Quote:

Well blaze, I guess you, as a good Devilcrat will see to the demise of imperialism....

But we should build the secret prisons anyway, just in case they are need....

BTW...My trouble free Sprint/T650 is doing just fine....

Your Fidel Castro anti America threads are extremely entertaining and they haven't busted my Treo yet....

Chuck
    right, anti bush, anti american, all the same