Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Nope, just stating the obvious.
    Well, obvious to most of us anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by chillig35
    Of course that does not apply to illegal Irish immigrants ...

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/fro...MMIGRANTS.html
    I didn't read anything in that article that said Irish illegals get special treatment.

Under the Bush plan, which has yet to reach Capitol Hill, illegals could first get temporary three-year visas and then apply for permanent residency.
    However, the proposal is being fiercely opposed in some quarters, where there are fears that it could encourage further illegal immigration from Mexico.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    lol, sense of humor almost like hoovs, but ..

I think we've established that the law explicitly witholds visas from Mexicans.
    No, you have stated that several times, you have posted cites that contradict that stance, but you have not established that a visa is witheld because of a nationality. You have shown that due numerical differences it may take longer for one nationality over another but they can still obtain a visa.

(BTW, I think your lol button is stuck, it seems to precede the majority of your answers)
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    (BTW, I think your lol button is stuck, it seems to precede the majority of your answers)
    only the ones that are funny my simple friend, by the way ... your keyboard has an "lol" button?
    ..you have not established that a visa is witheld because of a nationality. You have shown that due numerical differences it may take longer for one nationality over another but they can still obtain a visa.
    lol, the "numerical difference" is that our policy spells out that we have enough Mexicans

literally
    Hey! My grandparents had to come here from Ireland the Legal way....
    No fair letting thousands of Irishmen sneak in here and steel pub jobs from real Americans! I'll bet they are getting jobs from employers like Bennigan's! I propose a "Day without Irishmen"... where we'll boycot Irish Spring soap (some of you seem to boycott any type of soap anyway)... the color green, and anything Irish (like the Kennedy's)!

We'll show those lawbreakers we mean business!
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    lol, the "numerical difference" is that our policy spells out that we have enough Mexicans

literally
    No, I read it as every nationality should have equal chance, not just the one that is closest/shares a border.

See there is that "lol" button again.
    ...you have not established that a visa is witheld because of a nationality...
    No, I read it as every nationality should have equal chance...
    lol
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    I didn't read anything in that article that said Irish illegals get special treatment.
    True - Bush's proposal doesn't give irish preferential treatment. But the irish have been pushing quite vociferously to get their illegal immigrants legalized - and not just for a braoder immigration reform bill. And they did benefit in the past (from programs such as the Diversity lottery and so on).

The point is that until late 70's, the irish population was among the largest section of the undocumented aliens here - but there didn't seem to be a big outcry about it at that time.
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    True - Bush's proposal doesn't give irish preferential treatment. But the irish have been pushing quite vociferously to get their illegal immigrants legalized - and not just for a braoder immigration reform bill. And they did benefit in the past (from programs such as the Diversity lottery and so on).

The point is that until late 70's, the irish population was among the largest section of the undocumented aliens here - but there didn't seem to be a big outcry about it at that time.
    Agreed. The politicans (dems and repubs) waver on the policy depending on which side will garner the most votes. I was not aware the the irish had the largest illegal alien population in the 70's.
    True - Bush's proposal doesn't give irish preferential treatment...
    If I am not mistaken, Ireland is on the list of countries with a "fast track" to being granted a visa. All of them white.
    What were the numbers of Irish compared to the numbers of illegal immigrants today?
  13.    #33  
    duh Hoovs - WHY DO YOU THINK I CAPITALIZED THE DISCLAIMER.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    What were the numbers of Irish compared to the numbers of illegal immigrants today?
    far less - in the hundreds of thousands versus the millions today.

i remember most of this from memory when I visited Ellis Island (and the Statue of Liberty when it was reopened) and couple of years ago.
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
  15.    #35  
    Let's see here - two pages of posts and no one dissing:

1,2,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, and 11.....hmmmmmmmm
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    duh Hoovs - WHY DO YOU THINK I CAPITALIZED THE DISCLAIMER.
    far less - in the hundreds of thousands versus the millions today.

i remember most of this from memory when I visited Ellis Island (and the Statue of Liberty when it was reopened) and couple of years ago.
    I think a big part of the reason might be in the numbers. When the numbers get large enough to affect people's lives then they start to speak out.
    I think a big part of the reason might be in the numbers. When the numbers get large enough to affect people's lives then they start to speak out.
    true - but the question is how are people's lives being affected -either positively and negatively?

For example - on the question of wages - there doesn't seem to be much negative impact (or even positive impact for that matter) by immigrants.

The following papers focus on low-income migrants (legal or otherwise)

http://www.nber.org/papers/w11547

http://www.econ.ucdavis.edu/faculty/...ggregate_6.pdf
    Ok sue me, I'm crossposting.
    But I've never heard of this happening to Irish Immigrants
    (at least in this day and age)

Shivering immigrants found trapped in truck trailer

Two suspected smugglers arrested

Thursday, May 11, 2006; Posted: 12:47 p.m. EDT

LAREDO, Texas (AP) -- Sheriff's deputies found 56 illegal immigrants locked inside a refrigerated trailer with no driver in sight and no way for the shivering human cargo to escape. Two suspected immigrant smugglers from Mexico were later arrested.

An anonymous call led deputies to the trailer in a warehouse district of Laredo. The key was in the ignition and the trailer's refrigeration was on, Webb County Sheriff Rick Flores said.

The 43 men, 11 women and two children had been in the truck for about six hours, Flores said. None was injured, but when deputies found them, they were bunched together in the center of the trailer to avoid the icy walls and to try to stay warm.

"They couldn't get out of there even if they had wanted to," said Melanie Velarde of Crime Stoppers in Laredo. "The walls of the truck were sealed shut to keep the cold in, and the doors were locked and bar-shut from the outside."

Flores said the people had been loaded into the trailer on the American side of the border. The smugglers may have had trouble finding a driver, he said.

The suspected smugglers, a man and woman, were arrested late Wednesday at a house in Laredo near Interstate 35. Investigators suspect the house was being used as a staging location for human smuggling, said Nina Pruneda, spokeswoman for the U.S. Department of Immigration and Customs Enforcement in San Antonio.

The two, believed to be illegal immigrants themselves, were held on suspicion of harboring illegal immigrants and were scheduled to face a U.S magistrate in Laredo on Friday, Pruneda said. Their identities were not released and additional charges and arrests were possible, she said.

Most of the immigrants had been returned to Mexico by Wednesday evening, Pruneda said.

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

true - but the question is how are people's lives being affected -either positively and negatively?

For example - on the question of wages - there doesn't seem to be much negative impact (or even positive impact for that matter) by immigrants.

The following papers focus on low-income migrants (legal or otherwise)

http://www.nber.org/papers/w11547

http://www.econ.ucdavis.edu/faculty/...ggregate_6.pdf
    I haven't had a chance to read your links yet. But I can say that the low wages immigrants will accept has mixed impact. It positively impacts some who will hire those laborers, and possibly the general public with regard to the cost of agricultural products. But it negatively impacts those who used to have some of the jobs laborers now have.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast