Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516 LastLast
  1.    #241  
    Quote Originally Posted by chillig35
    This month USA Today reported that the National Security Agency has been compiling and searching a massive database of Americans' telephone call records and data mining it for suspicious patterns.
    Is that the regular non-standard data mining? Or the standard non-regular?
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Is that the regular non-standard data mining? Or the standard non-regular?
    no - it's a low-carb data mining with a shot of espresso...
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
    Just for the record...
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    No one has said that the NSA is using the database for data mining. Not USA Today. Not USA Today's sources. And the President has specifically denied it.
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...5-10-nsa_x.htm
    Stop confusing the issue with the facts.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    ...for those of you who actually think for themselves
    ...read this to be told what to think.
    I hear the Feds have compiled a massive database containing the social security numbers of every single American!

Now they've gone too far.
    ...read this to be told what to think.
    nope - just food for thought .....
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
    Just for the record...
    Originally Posted by samkim
    No one has said that the NSA is using the database for data mining. Not USA Today. Not USA Today's sources. And the President has specifically denied it.
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...5-10-nsa_x.htm
    excuse me - but there is no such explicit statement (i.e. that NSA is not using the database for data mining) anywhere in the USA Today article. If you have found such a statement - please cite and highlight.

In fact, in the link you provided this is what is said at the very outset:
    The NSA program reaches into homes and businesses across the nation by amassing information about the calls of ordinary Americans most of whom aren't suspected of any crime. This program does not involve the NSA listening to or recording conversations. But the spy agency is using the data to analyze calling patterns in an effort to detect terrorist activity, sources said in separate interviews.
    Isn't data analysis the same as data mining?

Maybe I'm confusing the issue with facts??
    excuse me - but there is no such explicit statement (i.e. that NSA is not using the database for data mining) anywhere in the USA Today article.
    Exactly. Thus my statement: "No one has said that the NSA is using the database for data mining." Anyone claiming that the NSA is using data mining on the call database is not basing this conclusion on anything USA Today or its sources have said.

In fact, in the link you provided this is what is said at the very outset:
    Isn't data analysis the same as data mining?
    Not exactly.

Data mining implies a somewhat automated churning of large amounts of data. One example might be writing a program to analyze a credit card database of 30 million customers to identify purchasing behaviors that correlate highly with responding to direct mail offers. This might involve regression analysis or an automated way of identifying trends or patterns. Simply searching a large database isn't considered data mining.

Data analysis is a broad, generic term. It's often just a guy analyzing data, maybe with a PC. It could include data mining, but it certainly doesn't imply it.
    Exactly. Thus my statement: "No one has said that the NSA is using the database for data mining." Anyone claiming that the NSA is using data mining on the call database is not basing this conclusion on anything USA Today or its sources have said.
    the main focus of the article is that such a database should not be in the hands of the NSA in the first place. And the article did mention the use of this datbase was for data analysis versus as a surveillance tool.

Data mining implies a somewhat automated churning of large amounts of data. One example might be writing a program to analyze a credit card database of 30 million customers to identify purchasing behaviors that correlate highly with responding to direct mail offers. This might involve regression analysis or an automated way of identifying trends or patterns. Simply searching a large database isn't considered data mining.

Data analysis is a broad, generic term. It's often just a guy analyzing data, maybe with a PC. It could include data mining, but it certainly doesn't imply it.
    you're really grasping at straws here, arent' you?? If AT&T analyzes its own database to look at peak call volumes, specific node traffic and so on - then yes, that is data analysis. I doubt that NSA is interested in that kind of data analysis.They're using the database for data mining to find potential terrorist connections - pure and simple.
    you're really grasping at straws here, arent' you?? If AT&T analyzes its own database to look at peak call volumes, specific node traffic and so on - then yes, that is data analysis. I doubt that NSA is interested in that kind of data analysis.They're using the database for data mining to find potential terrorist connections - pure and simple.
    I thought the gov said they were looking for patterns? You need data mining to generate patterns. That's basic.
  12.    #252  
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffa
    I thought the gov said they were looking for patterns? You need data mining to generate patterns. That's basic.
    Depends on what the definition of "is" is gaffa.
    the main focus of the article is that such a database should not be in the hands of the NSA in the first place. And the article did mention the use of this datbase was for data analysis versus as a surveillance tool.
    correct

1. You don't understand what data mining is.
    2. If you're claiming the NSA is using data mining, you're making up a baseless accusation. Apparently you're comfortable doing that.

I'm not claiming that the NSA does not perform data mining on a domestic call database. I'm saying that there's been nothing to indicate that they do. Neither USA Today nor its sources said that the NSA was data mining.

I don't know why you're fixated on that term. There's plenty of room for outrage talking about the NSA accessing and analyzing personal call data without throwing around this term that you don't understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffa
    lol, No. You need a brain.
  15.    #255  
    ...You don't understand what data mining is...I'm not claiming that the NSA does not perform data mining on a domestic call database...Neither USA Today nor its sources said that the NSA was data mining.

I don't know why you're fixated on that term....
    Fixated? You have not stopped rambling on with your silly conventional non-standard data mining distinction for a dozen posts.
    I'm just responding to really dumb statements. Like now.
    1. You don't understand what data mining is.
    2. If you're claiming the NSA is using data mining, you're making up a baseless accusation. Apparently you're comfortable doing that.

I'm not claiming that the NSA does not perform data mining on a domestic call database. I'm saying that there's been nothing to indicate that they do. Neither USA Today nor its sources said that the NSA was data mining.

I don't know why you're fixated on that term. There's plenty of room for outrage talking about the NSA accessing and analyzing personal call data without throwing around this term that you don't understand.
    oh please give me a break. How dumb can one get? NSA collects huge database of tens of millions of domestic calls. NSA seeks to find links to terrorists or patterns of terrorist activity. NSA analyzes database to find such links or patterns.

Some definitions of data mining:
    Data mining, also known as knowledge-discovery in databases (KDD), is the practice of automatically searching large stores of data for patterns. To do this, data mining uses computational techniques from statistics and pattern recognition.
    Instead of addressing the problem from a traditional knowledge discovery perspective by attempting to discover interesting patterns in sequences of events, sequential pattern extraction aims to efficiently sieve through large volumes of data and locate sets of events exhibiting some predefined correlation relationship.
    Data mining parameters include:
    • Association - looking for patterns where one event is connected to another event
    • Sequence or path analysis - looking for patterns where one event leads to another later event
    • Classification - looking for new patterns (May result in a change in the way the data is organized but that's ok)
    • Clustering - finding and visually documenting groups of facts not previously known
    • Forecasting - discovering patterns in data that can lead to reasonable predictions about the future (This area of data mining is known as predictive analytics)
    Data mining uses discovery-based approaches in which pattern-matching and other algorithms are employed to determine the key relationships in the data. Data mining algorithms can look at numerous multidimensional data relationships concurrently, highlighting those that are dominant or exceptional.
    Perhaps you have some other definition of data mining that I'm unaware of?
    You answered your own question.

That definition is fine. And you still don't understand it. Data mining is not synonymous with "analyzing data." What's the distinction? Well, I've told you a few times. The definition also mentions it. The problem for you is that it's in plain English.
    You answered your own question.

That definition is fine. And you still don't understand it. Data mining is not synonymous with "analyzing data." What's the distinction? Well, I've told you a few times. The definition also mentions it. The problem for you is that it's in plain English.
    The problem for you is that you're absolutely clueless. I've done data analysis as well as pattern recognition (in genomics) for the past decade. Obviously there is no point trying to explain these things to you - you have a remarkable capacity for being deliberately dense - I'm better off talking to the rear-end of my dog instead.
    Why hasnt this died a natural death?? The story was made up it appears.
    Well behaved women rarely make history