Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am going somewhere here so bear with me.

Now.. a Person who is driving 200 mph...
    is a law breaker and a criminal in most parts of the world.
    Correct?
    However, doing the same exact thing in Germany is not illegal.

Is the guy a criminal or not? Meaning is the guy's actions are just wrong or are they wrong depending on where you are?

In the UK, I had to pay a TV tax. just for owning one. Now, had I not paid it I would be in breach of laws and therefore, an outlaw.
    I don't have to pay that in Bahrain.

Is me not paying the government for TV an OK thing to do?

In otherwords: Can the same act be treated differently by different people (or countries), or are thoes who are different are wrong because they don't know any better?

If you were the german man driving 200MPH in the US and got busted, would you feel that this was unjust or would you acknowledge that certain acts are interpreted differently by different people?

You'll know what I am getting at after I read some responses.
    One man's blasphemy is another man's freedom of speech.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by redbelt
    I am going somewhere here so bear with me.

Now.. a Person who is driving 200 mph...
    is a law breaker and a criminal in most parts of the world.
    Correct?
    However, doing the same exact thing in Germany is not illegal.

Is the guy a criminal or not? Meaning is the guy's actions are just wrong or are they wrong depending on where you are?

In the UK, I had to pay a TV tax. just for owning one. Now, had I not paid it I would be in breach of laws and therefore, an outlaw.
    I don't have to pay that in Bahrain.

Is me not paying the government for TV an OK thing to do?

In otherwords: Can the same act be treated differently by different people (or countries), or are thoes who are different are wrong because they don't know any better?

If you were the german man driving 200MPH in the US and got busted, would you feel that this was unjust or would you acknowledge that certain acts are interpreted differently by different people?

You'll know what I am getting at after I read some responses.
    This could be the dumbest philosophical question ever posed.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Maybe.

But if it was, why did you bother?
    Quote Originally Posted by redbelt
    Maybe. But if it was, why did you bother?
    No life whatsoever.
    Your question addresses the distinction between determining right and wrong versus determining legal and illegal.

Legality is a function of standards setting within and among a population. Whereas, right and wrong is a function of that which is inherent to all people.

Populations do well when they establish standards that align with that which is inherent.
    Oh, if I were the German, I would feel it was unjust (the same way I feel as an U.S. citizen). However, as a non-citizen waning to drive in any other country, I would acquaint myself with the standards of that country before engaging.
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    right and wrong is a function of that which is inherent to all people
    Is it wrong to burn your dead father's body, crush up the bones, use it to make peppermint tea, then pass it around for all your friends to drink?
    Bahrain huh?

Well I don't know, but if you happen to be Michael J in disquise, I'm pretty sure that what you're getting at, is just plain wrong there too.

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

sho is right - right and wrong is about morality and has nothing to with legality.

Many of the legalities are contextual - for example, even within germany it is illegal to drive at 200 mph within urban areas for obvious reasons. Within the US - you could go out to the Utah salt flats (where there are no real roads as such) and drive upto 700 mph - and this perfectly legal.
    Same applies for taxes (for TV or otherwise) - the tax structures are set up by the citizens of each country and they are then responsible to follow those rules. Of course these rules/laws can be changed in a democratic society.
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
    Is it wrong to burn your dead father's body, crush up the bones, use it to make peppermint tea, then pass it around for all your friends to drink?
    It ESPECIALLY wrong if you're not offering a lemon twist and scones.

Thread Crapper

I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

ummmm - if you burn the body - then why would you have any bones left to grind up?
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
    Even right and wrong is an extention of community standards e.g some people think early abortion is right, while some think its wrong, even when legal. The group who think its wrong thinks its wrong for moral reasons, and the same for the other side. Whoever is in charge will warp the laws to suite them.

As mentioned by me before, there is no absolute morality. There is only our desires.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLiveSoundGuy
    It ESPECIALLY wrong if you're not offering a lemon twist and scones.
    How about mutilating the genitals of your child with a sharp knife?
    Agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by chillig35
    ummmm - if you burn the body - then why would you have any bones left to grind up?
    The african tribesman who practice this religious ceremony do not have a furnace, only a campfire.
    The african tribesman who practice this religious ceremony do not have a furnace, only a campfire.
    I believe the hindus in India also use a pile of wood to burn their dead - but I've been told that they do only have ashes left behind. Perhaps someone outta teach the africans how to build to build a proper pyre
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    For all laws to be the same throughout the world you would have to have one body of lawmakers to establish the law, and to enforce the law. This would be a One World Order. I think you are trying to equate morality to legality, which are not the same.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Even right and wrong is an extention of community standards e.g some people think early abortion is right, while some think its wrong, even when legal. The group who think its wrong thinks its wrong for moral reasons, and the same for the other side. Whoever is in charge will warp the laws to suite them.

As mentioned by me before, there is no absolute morality. There is only our desires.

Surur
    Gee, why did you use the example of abortion? Anyway, can you say there is no absolute morality with any degree of truthfulness?
    How about mutilating the genitals of your child with a sharp knife?
    ...depends, do I still get the lemon twist and scones?

Thread Crapper

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast