Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    David Blaine Is Crazy
    Is he? Did you see the attention he got?
  3.    #3  
    lol, man, i like 8 million as much as the next guy, but i will stand by my original statement
    Guys it is an illusiuon. I grew up the son of a magician and the trick is you believe you are seeing something that is different then what really exists. Do you really think if there were not a 100% chance of him being ok it would be on TV? I am much more impressed by the Chris Angel stuff (not always but he is at least inventive).
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Guys it is an illusiuon. I grew up the son of a magician and the trick is you believe you are seeing something that is different then what really exists. Do you really think if there were not a 100% chance of him being ok it would be on TV? I am much more impressed by the Chris Angel stuff (not always but he is at least inventive).
    It was just an illusion but he could only stay under for 7 out of the 9 minutes? He didnt really fail? That was just for effect?
    "Illusions dad! They're called...illusions!" -- Gob Bluth
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    NOW I UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING - the healthy skepticism and inquiring mind. You and James Randi. Dude, you're a natural.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    There was a 100% of things being okay. That's what those divers were for. That said, I would love to hear any ideas about how it was staged, if it is indeed a fake.

Either way, the guy's a showman.
    Guys it is an illusiuon. I grew up the son of a magician and the trick is you believe you are seeing something that is different then what really exists.
    Well, son of a magician, it's not ALWAYS an illusion if somebody does something strange or harmful.
    Do you really think if there were not a 100% chance of him being ok it would be on TV?
    You only get to see things on TV with a 0% chance of somebody getting hurt? No ski or car races, boxing and the like? Live reports from police action via helicopter?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Chris Angel ... is he the guy that climbs thru the pane windows and walks down side of buildings ? I thot of tons of ways to do the walk thing but that window pane thing was impressive.
    The window pane thing has me baffled still. You have to see it to believe it. I have seen the underwater thing done before and I believe it has to do not with actually holding breath but by self hypnosis to slow the heart rate. Being in the water for an exceptionally long period of time beforehand is to create a higher total blood volume such as diving mammels (such as whales which have a 2-3 times higher blood volume relative to body mass) which allows them to dive for up to 1 hour at a time while hunting. It is not at all unusual to be able to hold your breath underwater for up to 6 minutes under the right conditions.

Check this out: Static Apnea - The diver holds his or her breath for as long as possible while floating face-down in a swimming pool. The world record is held by Tom Sietas of Germany who stayed under for 8 minutes, 47 seconds!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    They also hyperoxygenate their blood by breathing high levels of oxygen a few days before the event so the red blood cells are saturated with oxygen.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    For those who may have missed it.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/37292/...through_glass/

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    They also hyperoxygenate their blood by breathing high levels of oxygen a few days before the event so the red blood cells are saturated with oxygen.
    No true. Red blood cells are saturated with oxygen when leaving the lungs also under normal oxygen levels.

You can add more oxygen to tissue/plasma, but only at hyperbaric conditions (higher than atmospheric oxygen pressure). However, the the amount of additional oxygen is low.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    ...it has to do not with actually holding breath but by self hypnosis to slow the heart rate. Being in the water for an exceptionally long period of time beforehand is to create a higher total blood volume such as diving mammels
    You are not being serious, are you?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    lol, those deep divers do have to meditate to completely relax every muscle to maximize the oxygen in their bodies
    Very much so. Remember the huge controversy a few years ago about the young female free diver who died from staying under too long. She and her boyfriend were world famous for depth and length of dives without gear.

http://eyetrack.morris.com/story_pages/5_a/08.shtml
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    No true. Red blood cells are saturated with oxygen when leaving the lungs also under normal oxygen levels.

You can add more oxygen to tissue/plasma, but only at hyperbaric conditions (higher than atmospheric oxygen pressure). However, the the amount of additional oxygen is low.
    Partially true.

In fact, one well-conducted investigation found that, although the breathing of hyperoxic gas mixtures did indeed increase the oxygen content of arterial blood, this process was perfectly balanced by a decrease in blood flow to the working muscles – so that the actual amount of oxygen delivered to the muscles remained exactly the same(1).

The increased oxygen content in arterial blood resulted in decreased blood folw to working muscles, which in turn means that the heart rate slows down since the muscles are not demanding oxygenated blood. This study was done working with patient/athletes at or near VO2 Max, when the athletes were not working at max oxygen uptake levels the hyperoxic gas remained in the bodies longer resulting in a longer period of reduced heart rate, allowing the body to utilize the oxygen content in the arterial blood for a longer period of time. While difficult to know how well the muscles actually utilized the hyperoxic blood, the ABG's (arterial blood gas) showed increased PO2 for an extended time as exercise levels decreased, (an interesting side note is that expelled CO2 did not change much at all).
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Partially true.

In fact, one well-conducted investigation found that, although the breathing of hyperoxic gas mixtures did indeed increase the oxygen content of arterial blood, this process was perfectly balanced by a decrease in blood flow to the working muscles – so that the actual amount of oxygen delivered to the muscles remained exactly the same(1).

The increased oxygen content in arterial blood resulted in decreased blood folw to working muscles, which in turn means that the heart rate slows down since the muscles are not demanding oxygenated blood. This study was done working with patient/athletes at or near VO2 Max, when the athletes were not working at max oxygen uptake levels the hyperoxic gas remained in the bodies longer resulting in a longer period of reduced heart rate, allowing the body to utilize the oxygen content in the arterial blood for a longer period of time. While difficult to know how well the muscles actually utilized the hyperoxic blood, the ABG's (arterial blood gas) showed increased PO2 for an extended time as exercise levels decreased, (an interesting side note is that expelled CO2 did not change much at all).
    Wow, it almost looked like those were you're own words.
    Criss Angel's walking through the window thing is cool, but check out the comments in the link. It is described how it's done there. Pretty clever!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast