Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    don't just ignore the other part of my prior post with the dismissive "TV answers all our problems" line.
    I haven't had the time to watch it. It just struck me as funny that you had a big long description and then said "or you could just watch some TV." High comedy.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    I haven't had the time to watch it. It just struck me as funny that you had a big long description and then said "or you could just watch some TV." High comedy.
    Well, my long description was regarding my girlfriend's firsthand exposure to Chinese worker's deplorable conditions and do realize, the factory managers/owners are trying to look like they're treating workers well when she's inspecting.

The Frontline episode points out the lack of democracy and general gov't oppression. I can't wait for the '08 Olympics.
    I can't wait for the '08 Olympics.
    It'll be interesting to see if those NBA stars learn some humility this time around. Oh wait, you probably meant something else.
    It'll be interesting to see if those NBA stars learn some humility this time around. Oh wait, you probably meant something else.
    Isn't written to apply to trade, but I feel the principle is the same:
    "Legitimate concerns about the impact of immigration on the poorest Americans should not be addressed by penalizing even poorer immigrants. Instead, we should promote policies, such as improving our education system that enables Americans to be more productive with high-wage skills."
    http://www.marginalrevolution.com/ma...etter_on_.html
  6.    #26  
    Only 1 in 7 Chinese households own a car. That leaves a lot of room for increased demand.
    already their ravenous appetite for steel, copper and most everything else is changing the economic equations of most industries --

China is changing the whole planet's economic ecosystem.

Its willingness to produce cheap contract goods for WalMart, for instance-- its move up the quality of manufacture food chain, and the size and voraciousness of their own domestic market, has had implications far from its own shores.

And countries that never knew they were a participant in China's economic boom are being forced to rethink and reevaluate old trading relationships and expectations about the costs, availability, and competition for resources.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I am not talking about normal trade negotiations.

It is hypothetical that, that this could be used as a cold war type weapon. Would you have a problem if China purposely paid 75% more than was necessary for oil, in an apparent attempt to hurt our economy? I would define that as abuse.
    This is absurd. China does not want to destroy your economy, they want to get rich(er) through it. They could easily destroy/harm you by not financing your huge deficit any more if they wanted to.

The real problem is simple: Americans spend more than they make, you pile up debt, which makes you dependent from foreign (Chinese to a large extent) investors. You will have to reduce spending, sorry, there's no way around it.

China, on the other hand, does not spend enough in their home market. They would have to increase private spending in order to get more balanced and stable conditions.

The slightly "unfair" element is not the increasing economic power China gets, but the fact that they violate intellectual property rights and alllow working conditions and production methods which would be illegal in the West (working conditions/environmental pollution etc.).
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  8.    #28  
    How many people have been enslaved? Just because you won't do it, don't think that it's slavery. I wouldn't eat eggplant if you gave it to me, but that doesn't mean eggplant lovers are slaves.
    China is an authoritarian, Laissez-faire capitalist country.

It's success has been based on some of the worst expressions of some of the ugliest aspects of historic capitalism -- incredibly ironic is as much as it was formerly communist --- and that it maintains that pretense to communism to this day.

Simmultaneously though, there are some truly brilliant and industrious entrepreneurs who are successful through their own hard work and creativity.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12