Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
Results 121 to 130 of 130
  1.    #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    You know, simple things, like the world wasnt created in 7 days, the world wasnt flooded for 40 days, all the species in the world cant fit in one 300 cubit boat, and man has more in common with animals than angels.

    Surur
    Jesus didn't say any of those things. Then again, Jesus' teachings seem to bear little resemblence to todays religious right.
  2. #122  
    You know there are differing theories on all of these things. Very few churches make any of them "confessional" issues: e.g., you can't be part of this church unless you believe the world was created in seven literal 24 hour periods. In fact, a large number of conservative Christians believe the Hebrew word for "day" in Genesis 1 refered to an era or period of time--much like the modern word "day". Of course, there are others who believe that what we now know about the theory of relativity makes it easier to believe the world was created in 7 literal days.
    Again mixing science and religion. These are the amongst the foundation of the jewish religion. Are they any more rediculous than healing the sick, raising the dead, feeding 1000's from 2 fish, turning water to wine, walking on water etc etc. If you are going to swallow small miracles you may as well swallow the whole shebang.

    Surur
  3.    #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Again mixing science and religion. These are the amongst the foundation of the jewish religion. Are they any more rediculous than healing the sick, raising the dead, feeding 1000's from 2 fish, turning water to wine, walking on water etc etc. If you are going to swallow small miracles you may as well swallow the whole shebang.
    Again, when looking at Jesus from an historical perspective, you have to consider the source of the story, did he hate jesus, indifferent, worship him as a god? What reason would someone who litterally thinks jesus is a god have for imbellishing the story. And you have to remember that every story in the bible about jesus was passed down by oral tradition.

    For example, through oral tradition, jesus sharing his food with a dozen friends becomes, 100, becaomes 500, becomes 1000.

    It is certainly ironic however that exorcisms, drinking wine, and healing the sick was a staple of early christians including disciples of jesus and now almost universally looked down upon by our modern american christian moral majority.
  4. #124  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Again mixing science and religion. These are the amongst the foundation of the jewish religion. Are they any more rediculous than healing the sick, raising the dead, feeding 1000's from 2 fish, turning water to wine, walking on water etc etc. If you are going to swallow small miracles you may as well swallow the whole shebang.

    Surur
    So you don't like religion because it asks you to deny what you see with your own eyes. But when I bring up an example of where modern scientific theories might help to explain some of those things, you say you don't like mixing religion with science. You really can't have it both ways.

    EDIT: Well, I guess you can have it both ways. But you'd be denying things you can reason with your own mind.
  5. JayL's Avatar
    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    #125  
    Prove Christ founded the Catholic church then we will talk.
    Sprint 700p
  6.    #126  
    Quote Originally Posted by JayL
    Prove Christ founded the Catholic church then we will talk.
    lol, that was one of his stops during his camel tour of southern Italy
  7. #127  
    Quote Originally Posted by JayL
    Prove Christ founded the Catholic church then we will talk.
    Define "Catholic".
  8.    #128  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    Define "Catholic".
  9. JayL's Avatar
    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    Define "Catholic".
    did I spell it wrong? sorry if so...

    the quote in the first post from the cardinal says Christ founded the church the cardinal is a member of...I would ask him to prove that statement or I cannot believe any statement he makes...
    Sprint 700p
  10. #130  
    Quote Originally Posted by JayL
    did I spell it wrong? sorry if so...

    the quote in the first post from the cardinal says Christ founded the church the cardinal is a member of...I would ask him to prove that statement or I cannot believe any statement he makes...
    Fair enough. To most, Catholic means "Roman Catholic", but to many non-Romans it simply means the Universal Church. So, depending on your definition the answer would be different.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Posting Permissions