Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    You aren't casting the first stone at hypocrisy are you? Oh, the irony.
    yes

and, ohh -- Touché
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    If I recall, Jesus was killed for starting a radical egalitarian cult.
    jesus`s teachings centered around forgiveness. this lady is a raving lunatic who rejoices in death and devastation. its one thing to be considered radical while advocating peace, and another to be radical and in support of beheadings, ieds, 9/11, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    its one thing to be considered radical while advocating peace, and another to be radical and in support of beheadings, ieds, 9/11, etc.
    Clearly that was not the majority view when he was stoned to death.

It's easy to say that today since we value compassion, equality, empathy, peace, forgiveness, but this has not always been.
    The point I was making is that, when you adopt a system of beliefs that doesn't have a basis in your observations, that doesn't have a basis in fact, which one of use will decide which beliefs are righteous and which ones are crazy?

What if it were your belief that your god wanted you to kill your children for example?

Does cultural popularity constitute righteousness?
    Clearly that was not the majority view when he was stoned to death.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    did jesus publicly rejoice over the slayings, killings, and horrible tragedies of thousands of innocent people?
    Last edited by vw2002; 05/07/2006 at 12:34 AM.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    righteousness is determined by decency. the belief system which demonstrates morals and the basic respect for human life would clearly be the group on the side of righteousness, not the group whose system of beliefs supports murder, torture, or praises God for horrific human loss and tragedy!!! . Come on, blaze, wth!! you know this!!!!
    Last edited by vw2002; 05/07/2006 at 12:47 AM.
    did jesus publicly rejoice over the slayings, killings, and horrible tragedies of thousands of innocent people?
    If he had, he may have been celebrated not killed. He may have been ceasar(well if he wasn't a jew ). But those were admirable traits during his time.
    If he had, he may have been celebrated not killed. He may have been ceasar(well if he wasn't a jew ). But those were admirable traits during his time.
    WOW
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    righteousness is determined by decency. the belief system which demonstrates morals and the basic respect for human life would clearly be the group on the side of righteousness, not the group whose system of beliefs supports murder, torture, or praises God for horrific human loss and tragedy!!! . Come on, blaze, wth!! you know this!!!!
    lol, you're not sticking with me here ....

Morality and righteousness are synonyms of decency, not determined by decency. The respect for human life is something that we value today, but hasn't always been.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    tell me what you think about the lady in the video, blaze, I'm curious. if she came to your door and told you she is overjoyed that you lost a loved one, or your entire family, that you are cursed and deserve further punishment, are you saying that you would have a real problem figuring out whether or not she is in the wrong? I'm all ears for this one.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    tell me what you think about the lady in the video, blaze, I'm curious. if she came to your door and told you she is overjoyed that you lost a loved one, or your entire family, that you are cursed and deserve further punishment, are you saying that you would have a real problem figuring out whether or not she is in the wrong? I'm all ears for this one.
    well right or wrong is an issue for another post but, i think she is a simple minded religious idealog, i would not invite her to be in my house or around my family
    by the way, were you going to repond to the hypothetical i posed?

What do you do for example if you believe god wants you to kill your children?

Are we saying that religion is just fine as long as you dont really believe it?

Does social desirability constitute righteousness?
    Morality and righteousness are synonyms of decency, not determined by decency. The respect for human life is something that we value today, but hasn't always been.
    Not really. If it was, we wouldn't sit by while millions of innocent human lives are being taken every year. What we seem to respect these days is comfort.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    Not really. If it was, we wouldn't sit by while millions of innocent human lives are being taken every year. What we seem to respect these days is comfort.
    When hoovs finds out that you hacked his password, he's gonna be pissed.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    blaze, I think you're taking it a bit far. first of all, when I said religion can be a healthy part of one's life, obviously I did not mean that might involve a religion which tells you that God wants your firstborns dead. sheesh! I mean one that may help nurture yours and other people's lives around you, whose ideals come not at the expense or downfall of others. that is a healthy religion.

you ask what you are to do if you are told God wants your kids dead? you ask, " well, then how the hell am I still alive then?" " why didn't my father kill me?" you say this is a crazy religion and I want out. logically, a people whose religion tells them to kill their offspring would go extinct. to me, the question is silly.

a logical person should conclude that the belief is irrational and abandon the faith.

blaze, no offense, but I think your theoretical question borders on the absurd to be honest.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    what was that? you think I hacked hoov's password?!!? wow. you're a bit odd, aren't ya, blaze?
    what was that? you think I hacked hoov's password?!!? wow. you're a bit odd, aren't ya, blaze?
    No, I believe he was referring to the fact that I made a post that contradicted his preconceived notions about me.
    blaze, I think you're taking it a bit far. first of all, when I said religion can be a healthy part of one's life, obviously I did not mean that might involve a religion which tells you that God wants your firstborns dead. sheesh! I mean one that may help nurture yours and other people's lives around you, whose ideals come not at the expense or downfall of others. that is a healthy religion.

you ask what you are to do if you are told God wants your kids dead? you ask, " well, then how the hell am I still alive then?" " why didn't my father kill me?" you say this is a crazy religion and I want out. logically, a people whose religion tells them to kill their offspring would go extinct. to me, the question is silly.

a logical person should conclude that the belief is irrational and abandon the faith.

blaze, no offense, but I think your theoretical question borders on the absurd to be honest.
    vw2002, check your bible

see if you can find anything about God commanding Abraham to take his son to the top of the mountain and sacrifice him
    vw2002, check your bible

see if you can find anything about God commanding Abraham to take his son to the top of the mountain and sacrifice him
    Did you take time to read the whole story?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast