1.    #1  
    I thought I had a thread when Mnt St Helens erupted again in Sept 2004 and again last year, but could not find it.

Anyways, here is some interesting developments in my backyard. If I could move a tree over to the left 10 feet, I could literally see St Helens from my bedroom window:

Huge rock slab growing in St. Helens crater
    Fin-shaped mass about 300 feet tall

It's jutting up from one of seven lobes of fresh volcanic rock that have been pushing their way through the surface of the crater since October 2004.

The fin-shaped mass is about 300 feet tall and growing 4 feet to 5 feet a day, though it occasionally loses height from rockfalls off its tip

------------------

Mount St. Helens has been quietly erupting since a flurry of tiny earthquakes began in late September 2004. Scientists initially mistook the quakes as rainwater seeping into the hot interior of the older lava dome.

But it soon became clear that magma was on the move, confirmed by the emergence of fire-red lava between the old lava dome and the south crater rim a few weeks after the seismic activity began.

The volcano has continued pumping out lava ever since.

-----------------

"Given the way things are going now, there's no hint of any sort of catastrophic eruptions," USGS geologist Tom Pierson said. "At any time, however, things can change."

---------------

Their latest measurements, taken in December, showed that the new lava dome was about 96 million cubic yards in volume enough to fill a football field with a stack of rock 10 1/2 miles high, Pierson said.

FULL STORY: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12635710/
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    If I could move a tree over to the left 10 feet, I could literally see St Helens from my bedroom window:
    So are you within "spitting distance" of Mount St Helens?
  3.    #3  
    Yep, I took that picture above with only the zoom on my PPC-6600 from on my roof while cleaning the gutters yesterday!

According to Google Earth. I am 35 miles from the crater of St Helens as the crow flies, but with no mountains to speak of between the mountain and Vancouver/Portland area.

On the other side, Mt Hood is 45 miles away in a straight line, which is predicted to blow within the 100 years as this one has never gone dominate as well, but is showing no signs of any concerns for for the immediate future. Except for a mound building several inches a year off the mountain by the 3 Sisters, almost like a totally new spot for a volcano. This one is actually pretty interesting.

MT Rainier is 88 miles away and is a huge concern....but not for me directly. It is also predicted to blow in the shorter order, but they are more fearful of a lahars if it decides to release or vent. In fact this threat is so real right now that there are several counties and towns that in order to buy a house there you have to sign a waiver that you understand this is pending and immanent threat and accept full and sole responsibility when it happens. This is geared more for clearing the gov of liability, but I have no idea what insurance does. Tacoma, WA is currently built on the last lahar that happend about 250 years ago.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 05/05/2006 at 08:05 PM.
    Hobbes- you should move someplace safer... like Nawlins'
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    I remember when it went off last time, all the mudslides :-(
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Hobbes - you really took that picture with your 6700?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Hobbes - you really took that picture with your 6700?
    omg