Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It is for me, an unexpectedly appropriate and just outcome.

He was not directly involved in the the events of 9/11 -- and he was under no legal obligation to confess to the FBI his knowledge of plans that would further incriminate himself.

And if anyone paid attention to the trial itself, its clear that this entire show trial was a means of finding a scapegoat to hang as a substitute for Bin Laden.

The level of incompetency that allowed 9/11 to befall us was far worse than even I imagined

Moussaoui gets life in jail
    Deborah Charles Reuters

Zacarias Moussaoui, the only person convicted in a U.S. court in connection with September 11, should spend his life in prison instead of being executed for his role in the hijacked airliner attacks, a jury decided on Wednesday.

"America you lost!" Moussaoui shouted as he left the courtroom after hearing the verdict. He clapped his hands and yelled, "I won!"

The 37-year-old French citizen of Moroccan descent will be formally sentenced on Thursday.

The verdict was read by U.S. District Judge Leonie Brinkema at the courthouse in Alexandria, Virginia, not far from the Pentagon, the site of one of the 2001 attacks. It was read simultaneously before television cameras outside the courthouse by spokesman Edward Adams.

Moussaoui sat praying silently as Brinkema read the verdict. He appeared to relax in his seat after she read that the jurors did not unanimously agree that a sentence of death should be imposed.

The jury did not find that Moussaoui's actions resulted in the deaths of about 3,000 people on that September day -- a central part of the government's demand for the death penalty.

"No jurors found that the execution of Zacarias Moussaoui will create a martyr for radical Muslim fundamentalists and to al Qaeda in particular," Adams said.

"Three jurors found that Zacarias Moussaoui's role in the 9/11 operation, if any, was minor," he said...
    Last edited by BARYE; 05/04/2006 at 12:59 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    It is for me, an unexpectedly appropriate and just outcome.

He was not directly involved in the the events of 9/11 -- and he was under no legal obligation to confess to the FBI his knowledge of plans that would further incriminate himself.

And if anyone paid attention to the trial itself, its clear that this entire show trial was a means of finding a scapegoat to hang as a substitute for Bin Laden.

The depth of incompetency that allowed 9/11 to befall us was far worse than even I imagined

Moussaoui gets life in jail
    Deborah Charles Reuters

Zacarias Moussaoui, the only person convicted in a U.S. court in connection with September 11, should spend his life in prison instead of being executed for his role in the hijacked airliner attacks, a jury decided on Wednesday.

"America you lost!" Moussaoui shouted as he left the courtroom after hearing the verdict. He clapped his hands and yelled, "I won!"

The 37-year-old French citizen of Moroccan descent will be formally sentenced on Thursday.

The verdict was read by U.S. District Judge Leonie Brinkema at the courthouse in Alexandria, Virginia, not far from the Pentagon, the site of one of the 2001 attacks. It was read simultaneously before television cameras outside the courthouse by spokesman Edward Adams.

Moussaoui sat praying silently as Brinkema read the verdict. He appeared to relax in his seat after she read that the jurors did not unanimously agree that a sentence of death should be imposed.

The jury did not find that Moussaoui's actions resulted in the deaths of about 3,000 people on that September day -- a central part of the government's demand for the death penalty.

"No jurors found that the execution of Zacarias Moussaoui will create a martyr for radical Muslim fundamentalists and to al Qaeda in particular," Adams said.

"Three jurors found that Zacarias Moussaoui's role in the 9/11 operation, if any, was minor," he said...
    While I can live with the verdict, I am not sure he will survive long in the general prison population. If he is ever paroled, I am not sure he will survive long enough to leave the country. He is the face of 9-11 to many people. Just my thoughts on it.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    While I can live with the verdict, I am not sure he will survive long in the general prison population. If he is ever paroled, I am not sure he will survive long enough to leave the country. He is the face of 9-11 to many people. Just my thoughts on it.
    different issue -- but we are singularly responsible for the health and safety of ANYONE who is imprisoned by us -- if prisoners cannot be jailed and remain unabused and safe, then we are not sufficiently responsible as a society to have a "justice" system.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    different issue -- but we are singularly responsible for the health and safety of ANYONE who is imprisoned by us -- if prisoners cannot be jailed and remain unabused and safe, then we are not sufficiently responsible as a society to have a "justice" system.
    You will not get an argument from me on that. I think our prison system is way to lax. We do not need to provide weight rooms, media centers, game rooms etc for the guards to have to watch out for and try to prevent fights, drug deals and riots. Lock em down and let them serve their time contemplating the crimes they committed. If they did not have so much common area to hang out in then it would be a safer environment. Once convicted of the crime the rights that you had as a law abiding citizen should be severly restricted.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    One thing I had heard was that if he was sentenced to death, he would be considered a martyr...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Seriously, this guy was a hanger-on and I doubt very seriously anyone in AQ would have shared any serious info with him. There was absolutely no proof that this person had any knowledge of the events prior except his own confession. I'm sure if the jury had even the slightest inclination that he had prior knowledge they would have chosen death.
    I do think this trial does bring up a good question in general....even if there is have no direct participation in a terrorist event, but have any information to possibly help prevent it and you do not share that information, whether asked specifically about it or not....are you guilty of contributing to the event taking place?
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I do think this trial does bring up a good question in general....even if there is have no direct participation in a terrorist event, but have any information to possibly help prevent it and you do not share that information, whether asked specifically about it or not....are you guilty of contributing to the event taking place?
    Would this include the media??
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    One thing I had heard was that if he was sentenced to death, he would be considered a martyr...
    I think this had alot to do w/ it. I mean just look at the way he acted during the trial itself. Or is it a case of "O don't throw me in the briar patch"?
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    unless he is kept in complete isolation while in prison, moussaoui will most likely meet a horribly graphic fate at the hands of his fellow inmates - if he is placed in such an arrangement where others are allowed anywhere near him.

there`s a pretty good chance that some of those inmates will have had family members,friends or acquaintainces who were killed in the 9/11 attacks. he may meet an end far worse than any death sentence the US court could have delivered.
    Verdict fair and just?

You bet.

If memory serves me, This guy was picked up wanting to learn how to fly a large aircraft (airliner) down in Florida without learning how to land it.

He admitted to HIS part and knowledge of the 911 event.

Chuck
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    There was absolutely no proof that this person had any knowledge of the events prior except his own confession.
    Should have put him down like the human trash he is. He admittedly had information that could have saved lives.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I fully agree with dutch. by all rights, we shouldn't have wasted so much time, money and energy on the case. he admitted to rejoicing in american deaths, so he should have been disposed of. I'd rather have seen our tax dollars put towards his disposal rather than his incarceration. but like I said before, I'm sure that will be carried out soon enough as the prison guards look the other way.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    IMO, if you have knowledge of an impending, preventable disaster, you have a moral obligation to inform. To not do so, unless under immediate threat of death (or similar circumstances), is equivalent to commiting it yourself. And unlike some people's definition of "moral" this is not flexible, does not depend on your culture, upbringing, mental state or anything else. As such, the state has every right to take the life of such a person. Of course, you need to have a trial, and in this case we did, and I won't lose sleep over the result.
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    I fully agree with dutch. by all rights, we shouldn't have wasted so much time, money and energy on the case. he admitted to rejoicing in american deaths, so he should have been disposed of. I'd rather have seen our tax dollars put towards his disposal rather than his incarceration. but like I said before, I'm sure that will be carried out soon enough as the prison guards look the other way.
    I hope you're right...
    Dutch, VW2002, and KRamsauer -

You've said it all. And yes clairegirl, there is no exemption to this logic for the media. Their standard response that they must protect their sources or they won't be trusted to get other "scoops" begs the essential question that their carreer exceeds the value of a human life. I've always wondered what kind of "human" soul take a picture of a dying human being and watches them expire without lifting a finger...
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    he was under no legal obligation to confess to the FBI his knowledge of plans that would further incriminate himself.
    Tell that to the families of the 9-11 victims. He should have gotton death, but I think rotting away for a good 60 years sounds pretty good too.
  18.    #18  
    Now admittedly as a foreigner, a political refugee -- I am not as well versed in your laws, liberties, and rights as you natives are.

But have I not heard of something about the right to remain silent ?? The protection against self incrimination ?? Something about a fifth amendment ??

And unless you practice constitutional law at say Abu Ghraib or Guantanamo prison, I don't think there's a “moral” compulsion to talk --

A judge or congress, can -- under limited circumstances -- afford immunity to compel testimony -- but even then a forgetful memory is liable to be an acceptable excuse.

Now I never believed in any of these niceties when I had an empire to run or Spanish insurgents to quash, but nevertheless these are your laws n’est pas ??
    Last edited by BARYE; 05/04/2006 at 12:11 PM.
    If you are aware of information that leads to the commission of a felony you can be found to be an accomplice.

Say a person is a member of a team that organizes a bank robbery but that person does not participate in the act, he is still a participant in the crime.
    Last edited by dutchtrumpet; 05/03/2006 at 11:07 PM. Reason: sorry, too rude :)
    Looks like Moussaoui may get to hang out with his buds at Super Max in Colorado. We already have Richard Reid(the shoe bomber), Ramzi Yousef(1st World Trade bombing along with about 10 others), Terry Nichols(OKC) and Ted Kaczynski(Uni-Bomber). The place is a regular freak show. I dont think these guys get to shower together
    Well behaved women rarely make history
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast