Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Drug legalization nears in Mexico
    Small amounts would be OK
    By Reuters | April 29, 2006

MEXICO CITY -- Possessing marijuana, cocaine, and even heroin will no longer be a crime in Mexico if the drugs are carried in small amounts for personal use, under legislation passed by the Mexican Congress.

The measure given final passage by senators late Thursday allows police to focus on their battle against major drug dealers, the government says, and President Vicente Fox is expected to sign it into law.

''This law provides more judicial tools for authorities to fight crime," presidential spokesman Ruben Aguilar said yesterday. The measure was approved earlier by the lower house.

Under the legislation, police will not penalize people for possessing up to 5 grams of marijuana, 5 grams of opium, 25 milligrams of heroin, or 500 milligrams of cocaine....
    I wonder if we should start adapting that part of thier culture as well, we wouldn't want them to not feel comfortable in our country... Would we?
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Drug legalization nears in Mexico
    Small amounts would be OK
    By Reuters | April 29, 2006

MEXICO CITY -- Possessing marijuana, cocaine, and even heroin will no longer be a crime in Mexico if the drugs are carried in small amounts for personal use, under legislation passed by the Mexican Congress.

The measure given final passage by senators late Thursday allows police to focus on their battle against major drug dealers, the government says, and President Vicente Fox is expected to sign it into law.

''This law provides more judicial tools for authorities to fight crime," presidential spokesman Ruben Aguilar said yesterday. The measure was approved earlier by the lower house.

Under the legislation, police will not penalize people for possessing up to 5 grams of marijuana, 5 grams of opium, 25 milligrams of heroin, or 500 milligrams of cocaine....
    So do you have a point, or are we just posting various news clippings?
    If that's the case, the local paper here has a great recipie for lasagna in yesterday evenings paper. (just to inform people)

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

Quote Originally Posted by TheLiveSoundGuy
    So do you have a point, or are we just posting various news clippings?
    If that's the case, the local paper here has a great recipie for lasagna in yesterday evenings paper. (just to inform people)
    And you didn't share the recipe with us?!? Especially after that whole thread about lasagna last year by NRG?
    Possessing marijuana, cocaine, and even heroin will no longer be a crime in Mexico if the drugs are carried in small amounts for personal use, under legislation passed by the Mexican Congress.
    Finally, there will be a entire country who will be able to understand Blaze's rants!
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I think I may have figured out how Blaze thinks, he throws these threads up, sees what side the majority take and he takes the other side. He then spins aound in a circle for 3 minutes and 13 seconds, sits down and types words. To him, in his state of dizzines, they are logical statements, to others well, we all know how they sound.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    To him, in his state of dizzines, they are logical statements, to others well, we all know how they sound.
    That's why this nation of drugged zombies is so appealing to him. Now if he could just get electricity to Mexico...
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    ...Possessing marijuana, cocaine, and even heroin will no longer be a crime in Mexico if the drugs are carried in small amounts for personal use, under legislation passed by the Mexican Congress.

The measure given final passage by senators late Thursday allows police to focus on their battle against major drug dealers, the government says, and President Vicente Fox is expected to sign it into law....
    This is goofy. If you are legalizing the possession, why would you outlaw distribution? How is the local citizen supposed to get his legal quantity?

I suppose the drug cartels will have to make a whole lot of trips. In theory, provided they ply their trade in small quantities, they will be ok. But then under that scenario, street price will go much higher, as it will take a lot longer to get a stash. Hence, the cartels will grow far richer.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    This is goofy. If you are legalizing the possession, why would you outlaw distribution? How is the local citizen supposed to get his legal quantity?

I suppose the drug cartels will have to make a whole lot of trips. In theory, provided they ply their trade in small quantities, they will be ok. But then under that scenario, street price will go much higher, as it will take a lot longer to get a stash. Hence, the cartels will grow far richer.
    I think that's the point, to decriminalize the users (many of whom grow their own) and focus on the cartels.

Of course there would be no cartels if the drugs were made by Phillip Morris, R.J.R Nabisco would there.
    I think that's the point, to decriminalize the users (many of whom grow their own) and focus on the cartels.
    But, if possession and use is legal. Why make the supply chain illegal?
    I think there's a diff between legalization (often including regulations, aka tobacco) and decriminilization.

I'm on the fence on this move by Mexico, but it will be interesting to see the outcome.
  12.    #12  
    As I said, it's not the only supply chain, and the reason is because cartels are bad. Lol, sorry to break it to you. They're bad guys and they kill people.
    As I said, it's not the only supply chain, and the reason is because cartels are bad. Lol, sorry to break it to you. They're bad guys and they kill people.
    And to think you accused Shop of stating the obvious
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    And to think you accused Shop of stating the obvious
    lol, well he LITERALLY asked
    I understand the cartels are bad. But, I thought the whole argument for legalization (or decriminalization) was that we remove the clandestine nature of the business, and hence reduce the inherent danger out of the trade. A significant part of the "badness" in the industry is driven by the illegal nature of the business. But if the demand side becomes non-crimina, there is no need to keep the supply side illegal.
  16. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLiveSoundGuy
    If it hasn't got sausage, it's crap, throw the recipe in the can.
    literal is just another word. obviously, it can be used any way blaze wants.

and daT, I'm dissapointed in you.
  18. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skillllllz
    And you didn't share the recipe with us?!? Especially after that whole thread about lasagna last year by NRG?
    You mean this one http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...hlight=lasagne ? Sorry folks I took the pictures off the server so, use your imagination.
  19.    #19  
    I understand the cartels are bad. But, I thought the whole argument for legalization (or decriminalization) was that we remove the clandestine nature of the business, and hence reduce the inherent danger out of the trade. A significant part of the "badness" in the industry is driven by the illegal nature of the business. But if the demand side becomes non-crimina, there is no need to keep the supply side illegal.
    I suspect the DEA has something to do with that.
    Mexico President Refuses to Sign Drug Bill

MEXICO CITY (AP) - Mexican President Vicente Fox refused to sign a drug decriminalization bill Wednesday, hours after U.S. officials warned the plan could encourage "drug tourism."

Fox sent the measure back to Congress for changes, but his office did not mention the U.S. criticism.

Fox will ask "Congress to make the needed corrections to make it absolutely clear in our country, the possession of drugs and their consumption are, and will continue to be, a criminal offense," according to a statement from the president's office.

FULL STORY: http://apnews.myway.com//article/200...D8HCMNHO0.html
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast