Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    At least 20,000 rally in Orlando
    Supporters of immigrant rights fill streets
    Jim Stratton and ViCtor Manuel Ramos
    Sentinel Staff Writers

May 2, 2006

A wave of immigrants and their supporters flooded the streets of downtown Orlando on Monday as the city became Florida's focal point for the national effort to reform immigration laws and highlight the contributions of foreign workers.

Organizers estimated as many as 30,000 people showed up for the rally, while police put the number at about 20,000. Whatever the number, the march appears to be the largest political demonstration in Orlando history....

Interested, what is your take on this?
    I actually enjoyed them taking a day off, no traffic. I wish they've extended it all the way to Cinco de Mayo.
    I am all for immigrant rights.

People should have the right to immigrate to this country in the proper legal manner in sustainable numbers.
  5.    #5  
    Sure Hobbes, Personally, I feel that America has an immigration policy rooted in racism that needs to be reformed, and that, refugees aside, we should accept all immigrants by the same set of rules without regard to their race or nationality.
  6.    #6  
    However, I sincerely doubt that is what we will see coming out of the White House anytime soon.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    I actually enjoyed them taking a day off, no traffic. I wish they've extended it all the way to Cinco de Mayo.
    My thoughts exactly . Traffic was light, I did not get cut off on the highway, no one turning right from far left lane. Although the stores I visited yesterday seemed to be more crowded than usual.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    My thoughts exactly . Traffic was light, I did not get cut off on the highway, no one turning right from far left lane. Although the stores I visited yesterday seemed to be more crowded than usual.
    It seems everyone got the point to skip work and school but they missed the part about not buying anything.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    I am all for immigrant rights.

People should have the right to immigrate to this country in the proper legal manner in sustainable numbers.
    What a concept. Doing something in the legal manner.

If you have the time, look up what it takes to get a work permit for Mexico, I think you will be shocked at the restrictions and strict time limits, the paper work that is required etc.

I am all for immigration, just do it the legal way.
    PLEASE! They are not imigrants until they posses a resident green card. Without that, they are nothing more than illegal aliens.

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLiveSoundGuy
    PLEASE! They are not imigrants until they posses a resident green card. Without that, they are nothing more than illegal aliens.
    Not sure why you felt the need to express the difference in semmantics, but actually there are millions of immigrants legally working in the usa now that do not have resident green cards.
    Last edited by theBlaze74; 05/02/2006 at 02:06 PM.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    What a concept. Doing something in the legal manner.

If you have the time, look up what it takes to get a work permit for Mexico, I think you will be shocked at the restrictions and strict time limits, the paper work that is required etc.

I am all for immigration, just do it the legal way.
    It is the legal manner that congress and the president have been working on changing.
    First of all, I have several friends and have had several co-workers who are not American working / living here and added great value to my life personally and professionally. But they were all here legally.....either became or were becoming a citizen or had the proper work documents to work legally here in the USA. I have full respect and think the immigration is an important resource to our country. But I also have respect for following the legal process (though I there are changes I would strongly support and those that I would NOT support).

I am not for amnesty. A reward for breaking the law and proud of it. I think I would be for Immigration bill proposed by Senators Jon Kyl & John Cornyn ( http://cornyn.senate.gov/doc_archive...%20Summary.pdf ).

I always felt the term of Undocumented Immigrant was a term to soften the reality of their illegal actions from crossing the border and living her outside of the system and against every immigration law on the books. If I stole a stereo system would I be thief or simply a Undocumented Stereo Owner with the legal rights to own the stereo if I got it home without getting caught? Would or should my actions be accountable to the law? If that stereo then broke should I demand a new one due to the rights I now inherited by becoming an Undocumented Stereo owner?

There is no doubt that we each benefit for illegal workers, but does it make it right? We would also benefit with lower costs if companies did not have to worry about obeying the laws to conserve and protect the environment. If they did not have worry about product safety issues and gain gov approval if needed. We could be paying less if we did not have provide extra security thieves and terrorists. We would have cheaper products if companies did not have to pay taxes (which some have been found guilty of when paying illegals under the table).

The point is there are a lot things that we would all benefit from if companies either broke the law or disregarded the safety of the public or their customers. The question might be, why is breaking the illegal immigrant law different than any other national security law they have to abide by? Should immigration laws be exempt from prosecution if violated because it benefits the customer? If so, what other laws then can we ignore to lower the price of products and services for the American consumer?

I am totally for immigration, but through the due process for several more reasons than listed above.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 05/02/2006 at 02:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    It is the legal manner that congress and the president have been working on changing.
    I have never agreed with Bush view on Immigration. In fact this is probably one the
    BIGGEST complaints and gripes I have against Bush. If 9/11 hadn't happen, I believe he would have enacted this long ago....heck he was already meeting with Mexican Pres before 9/11 talking about enacting an amensty.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 05/02/2006 at 03:07 PM.
    Sure Hobbes, Personally, I feel that America has an immigration policy rooted in racism that needs to be reformed, and that, refugees aside, we should accept all immigrants by the same set of rules without regard to their race or nationality.
    Do you believe in:

Open borders or having limits or caps for immigration on a yearly basis?

That immigration should be followed within the law?

Amensty?

I am interested and curious on what racist roots was the immigration laws based on that results in discrimination between immigrants going thru the legal process? Do you have a cite as I would interested in reading up on this.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 05/02/2006 at 03:06 PM.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I have never agreed with Bush view on Immigration. In fact this is probably one the
    BIGGEST complaints and gripes I have against Bush. If 9/11 hadn't happen, I believe he would have enacted this long ago....heck he was already meeting with Mexican Pres before 9/11 talking about doing just that.
    I think a lot of Texas Ranchers like George W Bush would appreciate access to more and cheaper desperate laborers. Didn't the Texas minimum wage allow Texas Ranchers to legally pay their workers $3.35 an hour while he was Governor?
    BIGGEST complaints and gripes I have against Bush. If 9/11 hadn't happen, I believe he would have enacted this long ago....heck he was already meeting with Mexican Pres before 9/11 talking about enacting an amensty.
    I agree!

Our elected officials have collectively FAILED us on this issue. No question.
    First of all, I have several friends and have had several co-workers who are not American working / living here and added great value to my life personally and professionally. But they were all here legally.....either became or were becoming a citizen or had the proper work documents to work legally here in the USA. I have full respect and think the immigration is an important resource to our country. But I also have respect for following the legal process (though I there are changes I would strongly support and those that I would NOT support).

I am not for amnesty. A reward for breaking the law and proud of it. I think I would be for Immigration bill proposed by Senators Jon Kyl & John Cornyn ( http://cornyn.senate.gov/doc_archive...%20Summary.pdf ).

I always felt the term of Undocumented Immigrant was a term to soften the reality of their illegal actions from crossing the border and living her outside of the system and against every immigration law on the books. If I stole a stereo system would I be thief or simply a Undocumented Stereo Owner with the legal rights to own the stereo if I got it home without getting caught? Would or should my actions be accountable to the law? If that stereo then broke should I demand a new one due to the rights I now inherited by becoming an Undocumented Stereo owner?

There is no doubt that we each benefit for illegal workers, but does it make it right? We would also benefit with lower costs if companies did not have to worry about obeying the laws to conserve and protect the environment. If they did not have worry about product safety issues and gain gov approval if needed. We could be paying less if we did not have provide extra security thieves and terrorists. We would have cheaper products if companies did not have to pay taxes (which some have been found guilty of when paying illegals under the table).

The point is there are a lot things that we would all benefit from if companies either broke the law or disregarded the safety of the public or their customers. The question might be, why is breaking the illegal immigrant law different than any other national security law they have to abide by? Should immigration laws be exempt from prosecution if violated because it benefits the customer? If so, what other laws then can we ignore to lower the price of products and services for the American consumer?

I am totally for immigration, but through the due process for several more reasons than listed above.

Thank you very much sir. I couldn't have put it better myself.
    Trust me, I'm a producer.
    Gas prices were down yesterday. Could that be from no leaf-blowers being used?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I think a lot of Texas Ranchers like George W Bush would appreciate access to more and cheaper desperate laborers. Didn't the Texas minimum wage allow Texas Ranchers to legally pay their workers $3.35 an hour while he was Governor?
    You sure give elected individuals a lot of power.

Immigration is important for the American way, however amnesty is not the way to go about becoming an American citizen. The protest was kinda like the thread threatening a lawsuit against Palm beause the 650 does not have Wi-Fi. I am here without the proper documents, I have not followed the law this country has in place, you owe it to me to allow me to be a citizen immediatly.
Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast