Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1.    #141  
    Iranian President Warns Israel Against Attacking Lebanon, Repeats Nuke Stance

TEHRAN, Iran — Iran's hard-line president warned Israel on Thursday that other nations in the region would take action against the Jewish state if it attacked Lebanon in the summer.

Although there has been discussion among Israeli experts about the possibility of another war against the Lebanon's Hezbollah guerillas, Israeli Defense Minister Amir Peretz and other officials have denied plans for such a conflict.

------------------

"If this year you repeat the same mistake of the last year, the ocean of nations of the region will get angry and will cut the root of the Zionist regime from its stem," added Ahmadinejad, speaking live on state television.

------------------

Israeli Foreign Ministry spokesman Mark Regev said Ahmadinejad's comments reflected the Iranian leadership's support for the "most extreme elements in Lebanon and in the Palestinian Authority."

"Ahmadinejad funds, trains and arms the most extreme anti-peace elements in the region. If there is any real threat to regional security, it comes from an expansionist fundamentalist Iran," Regev said.

-------------------

Ahmadinejad has a history of verbal attacks on Israel.

In October 2005, he raised outrage in the West when he declared that Israel's "Zionist regime should be wiped off the map." His supporters and some independent analysts have since argued Ahmadinejad's words were mistranslated from Farsi and actually meant "vanish from the pages of time" — implying Israel would disappear on its own rather be destroyed.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2...l_N.htm?csp=15
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,275159,00.html
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 05/24/2007 at 01:12 PM.
  2.    #142  
    Surprised? Looks like Iran is scheduled to have more sanctions added as deadline is hit today.

IAEA: Iran Defies U.N. Security Council Demands to Stop Uranium Enrichment

VIENNA, Austria — Iran continues to defy U.N. Security Council demands to scrap its uranium enrichment program and has instead expanded its activities, the International Atomic Energy Agency said Wednesday, in a finding that sets the stage for new council sanctions.

The report from Mohamed ElBaradei, the head of the U.N.'s nuclear watchdog agency, also faulted Tehran for blocking IAEA efforts to probe suspicious nuclear activities, saying that meant it could not "provide assurances about ... the exclusively peaceful nature" of its atomic program.

And, in new and worrying phrasing, it expressed concern about its "deteriorating" understanding of unexplored aspects of the program, despite four years of a probe sparked by revelations that Tehran had been clandestinely developing enrichment and other nuclear activities that could be used to make weapons for nearly two decades.

--------------------

With the council's latest deadline for Iranian compliance ending on Thursday, the report could set the stage for within days for consultarions on new council penalites.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,...fnc.world/iran

Iran vows to press ahead on nukes

Ahmadinejad, in a speech to a gathering of Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards, ruled out any temporary suspension of enrichment.......

.........Ahmadinejad said Iran did not fear attempts to thwart its nuclear ambitions.

"With the support of the Iranian nation, we do not fear the enemy's hyperbole and psychological warfare. We are nearing our final goals," Ahmadinejad said.

---------------

French Foreign Ministry spokesman Jean-Baptiste Mattei said Wednesday that France shared "the gist of concerns expressed by our American partners — along with several other partners, for that matter." He added that France "will take part in the American initiative."

The three nations apparently are concerned ElBaradei's statements could exacerbate their divisions with the other two permanent Security Council members — Russia and China — over how to deal with Iran's nuclear defiance.

The Western council members have traditionally pushed tough sanctions on Iran, but opposition from Russian and China have led the Security Council to settle for watered-down measures.

----------------

The report noted for the first time that the agency's knowledge of Iranian nuclear activities was waning. It pointed to Iran's decision earlier this year to reject inspections of a heavy water reactor under construction at Arak and facilities linked to it.

"We are moving toward Iran building (nuclear) capacity and knowledge, without (the IAEA) in a position to verify the nature or scope of that program," ElBaradei told a news conference in Luxembourg.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2...n_N.htm?csp=15
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 05/24/2007 at 01:19 PM.
  3.    #143  
    Iran has been busy in the news this week:

Iran Drawing Up Plans to Strike European Nuclear Sites, Analyst Says

LONDON — Iran is attempting to draw up plans to strike targets in Europe and has conducted reconnaissance of European nuclear power stations, a security analyst told a meeting at Britain's parliament Tuesday.

Claude Moniquet, president of the European Strategic Intelligence and Security Center, a private think-tank in Brussels, said his organization also had evidence Tehran has increased numbers of intelligence agents across Europe.

"We have serious signals that something is under preparation in Europe," Moniquet said. "Iranian intelligence is working extremely hard to prepare its people and to prepare actions."

---------------

Iran appeared to be preparing to target "British citizens on the streets of London," Moniquet said. "Just as they kill British soldiers in the south of Iraq."

Conservative lawmaker Patrick Mercer told the meeting that Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett, in a debate in December, had acknowledged worries about Tehran backing terrorist activity inside Britain.

-------------------

Parliament's intelligence and security committee, a panel of lawmakers which reviews work of Britain's MI5 and MI6 domestic and foreign spy agencies, also warned last year of an "increased threat to U.K. interests from Iranian state-sponsored terrorism."

----------------

Officials at Iran's London Embassy did not immediately return calls requesting comment on Moniquet's claims.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,...fnc.world/iran
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    What you quoted did not deal directly with the topic of this thread (Iran) or deal directly with the main topic of the article (Iran possibly behind a lot of the Iraq Insurgency). The article was focused on Iran being manipulative with the insurgency in Iraq.........not the political opinions in WA. You quoted the will of Washington degrading towards Iraq....which the article stated would be one of the goals of Iran manipulating events in Iraq.
    The published author apparently believed otherwise. Although you treat this forum like it's your personal blog, you write with outward regard as if it were your personal diary.

Washington doesn't need Iran's help in losing Iraq, which was the point of my quote. Those with the liberty to speak freely, with direct knowledge, confess that the US has already lost. Yet, your specious agenda continues ... Not that it matters.
  5.    #145  
    Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    Although you treat this forum like it's your personal blog, you write with outward regard as if it were your personal diary.
    It a topical thread.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    ^ Yet, you've treated your own question from the OP with an imbalanced response ... Or, did I miss the fine print where treating each position equally was the responsibility of everyone but you?

Are they really a threat, are they a master Manipulator or other nations and the UN system, or simply seeking Peaceful power for electricity?
    ^ looks like you are in awe of hobbes.

BTW, Keep posting, hobbes- people enjoy those. a few bad apples don't make the apple pie taste awful.

(now notice how I avoided singling out a certain individual by the usage of the word "few")- heh heh.

BTW Jesus did the same thing when He said "for many" (not for all)- but that's another topic...

Keep posting, Hobbes.
    Keep entertaining us, Backbeat.
    Lance
    http://www.aslmentor.com
    (my avatar means "I love you" in sign language.
    --------------------------
    PalmIII->Sidekick I-->Sidekick II -->Sidekick III and now Treo 750 which blows them all away.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aslmentor View Post
    ^ looks like you are in awe of hobbes.
    Why would anyone in their right mind be in awe of the man behind the curtain?

BTW Jesus did the same thing when He said "for many" (not for all)- but that's another topic...
    How sanctimoniously christ-like of you.

Keep posting, Hobbes.
    By all means, keep posting! The more clarity of your specious agenda, the better! ... your forthcoming (im)plausible denial notwithstanding
  9.    #150  
    Some of those are great links and appreciate it. If everyone would apply some of the information there the world (and TC) would probably be a lot more friendly towards those with different views of the world and the events happening in it.

But please post on Topic...Iran. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backbeat
    ^ Yet, you've treated your own question from the OP with an imbalanced response ... Or, did I miss the fine print where treating each position equally was the responsibility of everyone but you? despite your forthcoming nondenial denial
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Are they really a threat, are they a master Manipulator or other nations and the UN system, or simply seeking Peaceful power for electricity?
    But please post on Topic...Iran. Thanks.
    It was your lead which brought us here. despite your forthcoming nondenial denial

Nothing friendly about the difference between critical thought and specious agendas.
    I got to at how backbeat Hobbes- -

All Hobbes need to do, to bait backbeat is to post. then Hobbes can Backbeat at the delight of our readers which shall remain at the whole thing when backbeat has the power to simply not respond -

Brilliant, move, ya all.

In honor of our emoticons....
    Lance
    PalmIII->Sidekick I-->Sidekick II -->Sidekick III and now Treo 750 which blows them all away.
    ^ dang, that came across pretty good the first time.
    Lance
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aslmentor View Post
    ^ dang, that came across pretty good the first time.
    And just as juvenile as you intended.
    ^ I think it was just to ensure you could understand.
  15.    #156  
    ..........back on topic

Three years ago when it first came out that Iran had been continuing their Nuke program secretly for previous 20 years, it was estimated that they were anywhere from 9 to 12 years (or more by some estimates) away from making a nuke. Then as we learned more, estimates jumped down to 5 to 10 years away. Last year western intelligence agencies brought that down to as little as 3 years away. The head of the U.N. nuclear agency (IAEA -- International Atomic Energy Agency) this week announces that he now agrees with these estimates that Iran could be as little as 3 years away from having a full fledge nuclear weapon in it's arsenal. What to do about it and how to deal with still remains on a wide spectrum of advice. Either way the next round of sanctions will be determined this week by the UN:

Iran 'could go nuclear within three years'
    17/01/2006
    Intelligence sources say Iran will begin feeding converted uranium into 164 centrifuges at Natanz this week. That could enable it to create enriched uranium of sufficient quality for nuclear weapons production within three years.

Previous estimates of the minimum time required had ranged from five to 10 years.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...16/wiran16.xml

Nuke UN Agency Chief: Iran Could Have Weapon in 3 Years
    May 24, 2007
    LUXEMBOURG — The head of the U.N. nuclear agency said Thursday he agreed with CIA estimates that Iran was three to eight years from being able to make nuclear weapons and he urged the U.S. and other powers to pursue talks with the Islamic country.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,275234,00.html
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 05/26/2007 at 04:18 AM.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sblanter View Post
    ^ I think it was just to ensure you could understand.
    You opened your new box of Crayolas just for me? Or did you just borrow Hobbes' overly used set?
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    ..........back on topic
    Back to your unifocused, specious agenda of "Be AFRAID ... Be very AFRAID!", you mean ........... by your chickenhawk drumbeats for war
  18.    #159  
    Sorry....double post.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 05/26/2007 at 09:12 PM.
  19.    #160  
    Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    Back to your unifocused, specious agenda of "Be AFRAID ... Be very AFRAID!", you mean ........... by your chickenhawk drumbeats for war
    There was nothing but facts of the current estimating of Iran's progress in that post. Following the progress of a growing situation that can have serious consequences for our economy, our military forces, and the economic and political global community is not "chickhawk drumbeats of war". In fact ignoring it could even produce far worse consequences. Quite a drum beat of war in the post you quoted....
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal

What to do about it and how to deal with it still remains on a wide spectrum of advice.

.........he (the UN nuke Chief) urged the U.S. and other powers to pursue talks with the Islamic country.
    If you have followed this thread and the previous Iran thread that was closed for similar and consistent personal attack type of posts, you will see that :
    • You failed to notice in the post you responded to, the whole theme of the article that I quoted and sourced from the IAEA chief is focused on resolving this peacefully with talks. And it actually critical of the way the US has handled many other nuke situations with other countries.
    • I was very much for seeing if the EU multi national negotiations (supported by the US but not active participant) with Iran would work, but Iran called them off saying they will not offer any point of negotiation.....forcing France, Germany, and GB to recommend them to the UN for international violations and their unwillingness to negotiate.
    • I was all for the Russia offered plan to do all of their refinement for Iran, which would give Iran a very inexpensive and fast way to reach all of their stated goals (without any confrontation from anyone in the world community) of a peaceful nuke program for electricity, but they refused saying they must refine their own nuclear material (which can be abused to produce nuke weapon grade material) with no explanation as to why.
    • I was all for the US giving Iran nuke power by providing them a nuke reactor that did not refine the materials, but offered all the friendly nuke power they stated they wanted. But they refused because it is their "right" to refine the nuke materials themselves.
    • I am very much for the IAEA inspections, but when they started actually finding incriminating evidence against Iran and Iran was being called on breaking into their seals on facilities that were under current investigation by the IAEA, Iran kicked them out and has refused access to IAEA to confirm their claim of developing only a peaceful nuke program.
    • I am very much in support of the UN sanctions (especially if China and Russia will allow the sanctions that the rest of the voting UN members want). This could be the most effective way to deal with Iran.

This is of interest because this may be our next war....or our next close call to war. It would also change the world political and possibly economic arena a great deal if Iran obtained an arsenal of nuke weapons.

It maybe that Iran attacks Israel (as they have promised to do even again this last week). It maybe that Israel attacks Iran's nuke facilities (like they did in Iraq when they attacked their nuke facility and have not stated they will not do it against Iran). It maybe the UN may approved war after the sanctions do not work (if China and Russia will allow it). It may be that Iran attacks the US (which has been insinuated and flat out stated several times). It maybe the US attacks Iran (which has not been taken off the table)....all of which are plausible and very real scenarios that could be ignited with a very little spark blown in the wrong direction.

It may also be...and hopefully so IMHO....that China and Russia will allow stronger sanctions and there will be enough pressure from within, economically, politically, etc... that Iran will stop it's nuke program and then allow IAEA in to confirm it. This is also a very real and possible and the most hopeful resolution that will be the ultimate outcome from the EU negotiations which lead to the UN Sanctions.

Instead of offering attacks (including your response to this), could you offer a post of sharing what options you feel we should take now and the reasoning (or maybe even sourcing) behind it? If you do so, you may even find that I will agree with some of your proposed solutions and with your reasoning of why they may work.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 05/30/2008 at 02:53 AM.
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast